1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Crown XLS special cable

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by deanthemachine, Jun 30, 2007.

1. deanthemachine

deanthemachine

May 3, 2005
    I own the crown xls-602, did the research and found out about the special cable you need to run it bridged. Went down to the local music and talked to the guy there, he said that he couldnt understand why you would need to change the polarity for a bass amp. He explained the reasoning behind using it for a PA, but said that I should be fine just running the two 1/4 cables out of my preamp, to the two mic inputs on the poweramp.

I questioned it in my head, and thought I would throw the question out here. Why do you need to change the polarity? And what problems could you run into if you dont? And finally, if I do need to change the polarity, do I need a "Y" cable, or is just changing one of the two cables I am currently using?

Thanks guys!

2. Jerrold Tiers

Jerrold Tiers

Nov 14, 2003
    St Louis
    if I recall correctly, the Crown units lack the "mono bridged" switch, so you have to do all the work externally.

The entire principle of bridging is that one channel is going positive when the other is going negative (out of phase, polarity inverted). If you then connect the speaker between the "hot" terminals of the channels, you get twice the effective voltage across the speaker, versus output of one channel. When you switch to "mono" the work is done internally for you, and all you have to do is connect the speaker right.

But, since the Crown lacks any internal way to do the inversion, you must do it outside.

If you just use two cables, the two channels are paralleled, and so you can hook up more speakers. But you can't put more power into ONE speaker, which is what "mono bridged" does.

Your music store guy doesn't "get it".

Any way you can invert one channel's polarity, "Y" cable, or whatever, will do the job. A "Y" cable is convenient, and won't be mistaken for something else.

If you use that inverting cable someday for some other purpose, you may wonder where the lows went....... out of phase will cancel and "suck out" the lows.

3. ibanezcollector

ibanezcollector Yoyo's Hurt When You Crank It Into Your Face

Feb 18, 2007
    Cleveland Ohio
    owning a crown XLS202 You need to connect your output to channel 1s input if Im not mistaken.

Then on the speaker side you need to use a banana plug to cross the two positives, its labeled on the back. Then the third and final thing is to switch the bridge switch and your now bridging the two channels and running mono.

At least thats how ya did it on the XLS202

4. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    Assuming that you got your information on how to hook it up from your owners manual, and 'local music guy' is winging it, who you gonna believe?

5. Geoff St. Germaine

Geoff St. Germaine Commercial User

The older XLS models have to be bridged manually, they do not have a switch. A buddy of mine has one and that's what he has to do.

6. ducatiman

ducatiman

Oct 3, 2006
    new yawk
    the newer models (with the mono-stereo switch) are tagged with "D" at the end of the model number.

if you don't have the switch, its the older model (non-D) and you need the special Y cable.

if you have the switch, its a D model, special Y cable not needed.

easy, just CHECK YOUR MANUAL. if you bought it used, download manual from crownaudio.com and verify its the correct manual for your unit, follow instructions. simple.

7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 7, 2021