1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Curiosity Question for you young guys under 20

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Kevin aka Kebo, Jun 4, 2014.

1. Kevin aka Kebo

Kevin aka Kebo Commercial User

Nov 17, 2011
    Princeton NJ
    Owner - Kebo's Bass Works
    How many of you have
    A) Played a gig - bonus points
    B) Own some dog of a bass with crappy action
    C) Own an amp that is less than steller
    D) Play in a band that your more advanced friends think you suck
    E) You love it, you breath it, it distracts you at school or work
    F) Optional but bonus points - Your girlfriend thinks your a dork because you think more about music than her

You guys who have lots of chops and experieince
    * Wouldn't love to trade for 1 day and be a young guy, unjaded, didnt know any better, and all was new and great.?!?!?! I was talking to my 15 year old about this and she asks - "You'd love to be 15 an play a High School Gym, huh"?!?!? Yes, shes right..

maestrovert likes this.
  2. Londo Molari

Londo Molari

Jan 1, 2014
    2 blocks east of Mars
    Decendant from the Clovis culture. "Emitting that wonderful bass effect since 1970".
    If I only knew then what I know now.

Technotitclan and IGotGas like this.
  3. ReidK

ReidK Jst sy n t lsy cmprsn. Supporting Member

Oh, but I was so much older then;
    I'm younger than that now.

HolmeBass, IGotGas and sparkyfender2 like this.
  4. neren

neren

Jun 5, 2012
    Eugene, Oregon
    I'm 22 but I didn't pick up the bass till I was about 19, so I'm still quite a rookie.

A) Nope, bedroom warrior! The piano player I jam with is trying to set up some gigs for the fall. To be honest though, I'm still lacking the confidence.
    B) Nope, my first bass (Ibanez GSR200) was actually a total gem, playability-wise. Sounded like junk but the neck was killer.
    C) Yeah, I've owned two Acoustics (the new cheap ones). The one I have now is nothing special but I bought it because it's cheap and LOUD.
    D) My more advanced friends insist that I'm learning fast, but I know I still suck :cool:
    E) It's all I ever think about. I'm sitting in class right now.
    F) My girlfriend actually thinks it's cute how obsessed with music I am, but she definitely gets jealous of my bass sometimes ;)

5. Shovel

Shovel

Jun 4, 2013
    Massachusetts.
    A. I've only done one battle of the bands type thing, so no, nothing paid.
    B. My bass is a nice used MIM (75$) , but I'm missing a bridge screw.
    C. I play a peavey special 130, which I'm pretty sure is a guitar amp.
    D. I really need to get in a group.
    E. Yes.

6. tangentmusic

tangentmusic A figment of our exaggeration

Aug 17, 2007
    Reno/Tahoe
    One day or a week maybe might be fun.
    My teens (like most of us) was a special time musically and I look back on them with much fondness.
    But.. The past is a nice place to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there.

7. Kevin aka Kebo

Kevin aka Kebo Commercial User

Nov 17, 2011
    Princeton NJ
    Owner - Kebo's Bass Works
    Just to let you know where I came from... I was a URB player in the Jr High band. When I got to HS, I was introduced to a Musicmaster Bass. I IMMEDIATELY ran to Music City and bought an Aria Pbass (nat/maple) 32in scale and an Ampeg B25. This was 1976. I started a band called "Illusion". Mike DeBiase (Who is my best friend to this day) on Guitar(Gibson LP STD and a V4) and vocs, Tony Campolo on Guitar (Fender Mustang body and Jazzmaster neck and we never new why it was never in tune. he plugged into my amp , Eric on Guitar(Univox LP and blue and orange Univox amp), John Monte (rest in peace and gone way to young) on drums (5 piece grey swirl Luds). Our "set" was Swingtown, Rock n roll, Day Tripper, Satisfaction, Badge, You really got me, Cant get enough, Jail House Rock. Lord did we suck, we played a "battle of the bands" and came in 5th. There were 5 bands but we got a trophy that we blew up on July 4th.. lol.. We breathed it... My next band, well we kinda hit.. I was using a 58 Gold guard P in orig Dakota red and a full SVT rig...I paid 1000.00 for ALL of it! I still own that SVT rig, The Dakota I traded for my Stacker that I still have.. Oh I'd love togo back....

IGotGas likes this.
  8. bassofthe

bassofthe

Jun 5, 2011
    I'll just answer as if this was a year and a half ago :p

A) Yup.
    B) Sold it when I was eighteen. Only great basses since then.
    C) Behringer combo for practice. I go DI at gigs.
    D) I was the one who thougt my first band sucked (and I was right). No one (that I know of) thinks my current band sucks.
    E) I often think about basses, music and/or related subjects.
    F) Am I supposed to have a girlfriend?

…I'm twenty-two and none of these answers have changed.

9. D.M.N.

D.M.N. (O)))) Supporting Member

Oct 6, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    Well, I'm 21, but I started playing at about 14, so I can sort of Ross in here.

1) Yes, I've played many gigs. I played in a bar band from age 16 to 18, even though it was technically illegal for me to be in the bars. Playing with a couple 30 year olds,100 a night, plus tip, two nights a weekend maybe two weekends a month during the summer, less so during the winter. Also played numerous shows with my originals band of guys my age in various venues. Various fill in shows for other local groups.

2) first bass was a dog, beater jazz knock off. Upgraded to a Fender AVRI 62 Precision in high school, followed by a AVRI 62 Jazz and Gibson Zebrabird in the last few years.

3) first amp was a fender frontman 15, followed by an Ampeg B2 combo I picked up for $100. Then a Fender Bassman 300, and that was replaced by a Sunn 2000s and 200s through an original 2000s cab and homemade 2000s cab.

4) can't say I've played in a band my friends think suck. They might not dig the music, but the bands have always been solid (mostly playing with older folks).

5) definitely distracts from school work, oh well.

6) N/A

I personally wouldn't trade it at this point, just because I wouldn't want to give up the skills I've worked on to play in front of largely unappreciative high school peers. At least where I'm from, playing an instrument, or rather playing rock music, didn't bring much of a wow factor. I'd much rather keep all the know how I've accumulated, bit check back with me on my opinion in like 25 years, I'll have probably changed my opinion.

10. spanndrew

spanndrew

Oct 14, 2013
    Atlanta, Ga
    A. Yep. Played a handful of gigs in this first year on the bass.
    B. 60 dollar squier affinity I found at a pawn shop(upgraded about six months in).
    C. Played through a 20 dollar peavey combo for the first 8 months. Also recently upgraded.
    D. Nope.
    E. Completely true. Practice first, homework second (still a 3.5 GPA though ;))
    F. Nah, she just accepts it.

11. wild4oldcars

wild4oldcars

Jan 22, 2012
    Garner, NC
    Played plenty with high school jazz band and winter percussion ensemble.
    Have a cheapo amazon acoustic bass, pretty horrible action.
    Silvertone 10w, aka the Walmart Special
    Not really, only my instructors think I suck, my friends think I'm pretty good.
    Yes, absolutely.
    She is a trumpet player. I know more theory than her, so that makes her think I'm a dork. Which I probably am.

12. A) Nope... not on bass, at least.
    B) Fortunate enough to have gotten my hands on a used MIA Jazz, which I taught myself to set up/adjust/wire/solder etc.
    C) I have a first-generation GC-brand Acoustic B100 that works intermittently.
    D) Well, I jam with my neighbor's blues band which collectively has about a century of playing experience on me, but they're as cool and encouraging as it gets.
    E) Hell yeah!
    F) Girlfriend... uhh, yeah... nope.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2014
  13. Belgand

Belgand

Aug 25, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    The biggest regrets I have are usually the things I wish I had started doing when I was younger. I don't think I got the bug until college, I waited until my mid-twenties to start playing, and I was into my early 30s before I got serious and consistent about it. If I could go back in time to any of those I'd change something, but mainly I'd tell myself to start playing bass when I was still 15.

14. Great thread, keep it comin'!

15. All right here we go...

A) Several (5-6 I'd say). 2 or 3 good ones, the others kinda sucked.
    B) My first bass was when I got it; I can get a satisfying tone and playability from it now.
    C) Yeah, it was a guitar amp. Now I have a niiice (debatable) rig. Edit: It's a Yorkville BM200 15" combo with a slave 100 watt Lidovox amp going to a GK 410B. Somebody tell me if that's good?
    D) No. I was always the more technically proficient player, not as creative. Considering I had more experience on guitar than they had, and I had but 6 months of bass experience... scary.
    E) Pfft, I take frequent breaks from my homework to go play my bass. I just did earlier, now I'm on talkbass instead of studying for tomorrow's biology exam.
    F) Not applicable ;)

Back to studies now.

16. Mikey_B

Mikey_B

Mar 18, 2014
    Im 16
    A. Yes three so far and two more this month
    B. Yes and old Gibson bass with the highest action ever
    C. Yes I have a peavey transtube something its like 12 watts and sounds like crap
    D. That used to be the case but I progressed at a pretty quick rate so they dont think that anymore
    E. I dont do my work at school because Im checking talkbass for new threads so yes
    F. Nope i dont have a girlfriend but many of my friends do think that:D

17. Dave W

Dave W

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    I'll answer as if I was still in high school

A) Yes, I played a bunch of gigs.
    B) Of course
    C) Of course, you've got to start somewhere.
    D) I don't think so, if they felt that way they certainly didn't say anything.
    E) Yep.
    F) No. My girlfriend (the prom queen ;)) loved it. I still spent plenty of time with her.

18. Junior Shark

Junior Shark

Nov 7, 2013
    Colorado
    A) No paid gigs.
    B) No, first bass was MIM Precision, it's always played great. Plus I can do my own setups.
    C) Yes, Fender Rumble 30.
    D) No, they suck!
    E) Yes x100

19. morgansterne

morgansterne Geek U.S.A.

Oct 25, 2011
    Cleveland Ohio
    I just turned forty. I had paying gigs playing trumpet for churches and weddings while in high school and college.

as for going back to my unjaded days, I was born jaded.

20. You can't be under 20 if you can quote Bob Dylan, and I can't be under 20 if I know you're quoting Bob Dylan. ;)

BioWeapon likes this.