1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Curious about Gallien-Krueger 112MBX Extension Cab

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Adam Bomb, Dec 13, 2008.

1. Adam Bomb

Adam Bomb

Mar 26, 2008
    Bezerkely, CA
    Hey:

Anybody own or have experience with the GK 112MBX extension cab?

Does anybody use it with an older GK combo? I have an '80s MB200. It should work with that, right? After all, it's just an 8-ohm 100-watt cab, basically, right?

What are the advantages to this cab over other, similarly sized and rated cabs?

Thanks--

--Bomb :bassist:

2. Adam Bomb

Adam Bomb

Mar 26, 2008
    Bezerkely, CA
    Nobody got nothin?

3. sido

sido

Jul 11, 2008
    Yes, I have one, purchased on Ebay about three years ago for around $200. It is a very useful item, though not in ways I expected. I have found (and other reviewers at various sites have commented as well) that adding the extension cab to my MBS 150s (highly recommended item) does not significantly increase the volume of sound. It does, yes, and in doing so adds a little air and openness to the MBS when I run the little combo amp past 12 o'clock (half-power). But not so much that I often bring along the cab. I use the MBS 150 combo all the time, and I am long surprised by how loud, well-toned, convenient and flexible it is. I have used the MBS in settings it had no right to be: large rooms and even outdoors, in emergencies, and it just-plain-gets-the-job-done, even when I know it is too light to do so (your MB 200 is similar, as you know). The little GK projects well and gets past the front of the house, tricking the ear into sounding more powerful than it is. Regarding the extension cab, I use it for other purposes. Right now, it is under by feet with an Ampeg Portabass 250 head. I use the two as a portable backup rig (the MBS 150 in tandem with the Ampeg/GK extension cab is louder and smoother than the MBS alone in higher volume situations). But I most often use it with the Ampeg head with guitar (yes) fed through Roland octave pedal, paired with a small guitar amp, using the both of the Ampeg's two channels. That's the kind of usage I make of the GK extension cab: flexible, experimental stuff and for a little extra reinforcement. But I have not found the MBS 150 plus MBX cabinet to be a marked improvement over the MBS alone. One other GK note: I use the MBS 150 with an Aguilar 112 GS, driving itself and the Aguilar, and the sound is superb. The GK projects deep into the room and is voiced to middle tones, while the Aguilar carries the bottom. Further proof that system matching is more important the power ratings. The MBS puts out only 150 watts at four ohms, but it delivers everything I need for medium size gigs when run with the Aguilar. Sorry for the overly long response, Cheers/steve

alaskaleftybass likes this.
  4. Adam Bomb

Adam Bomb

Mar 26, 2008
    Bezerkely, CA
    Thanks much! I love that little amp but am still trying to get the most out of it. This helps. Thanks again.

5. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    I pretty much concur with the above edited post from sido. I've used my GK MB 150S combo with an Eden 1x10 extension cabinet at times. This is the one with I believe a coaxial speaker. It sounds huge with this cabinet. I imagine the 112 GS would be similar. One of my students had an MB 200 and wishes he'd never sold it. He now very much likes playing through my MB 150S.

6. Adam Bomb

Adam Bomb

Mar 26, 2008
    Bezerkely, CA
    I hear that a lot - including from the guy I bought mine from. My old guitarist offered to buy it off of me the first time he laid eyes on it. I like it well enough as my smallest amp, but I am trying to figure out how to make the most of it, so that I can appreciate it as much as others seem to.

Thanks for the input.

7. DavyR

DavyR Supporting Member

May 29, 2011
    I own a GK MB150E/112 micro bass amp and love it. I use it for small gigs/recording. I was thinking of adding the GK 112MBX Extension Cab for more volume, power, etc. This thread doesn’t seem to think it adds much. Any experience and/or opinions? I also have a GK Neo 212 cab with the GK 1001RB head for bigger gigs, so I’m covered there. Am I wasting my time and money by adding the 112MBX to the MB150E/112 attempting to get in between? Thanks!

8. I emailed GK last spring about plugging in their new 112 combo (200 watts) into the line out on the MB150E or S and the reply said it would work just fine. The 112MBX is currently selling for $300 online; the GK 112 combo for about $380. The extra $80 might get you what you are wanting.

9. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    I snagged a mint first gen mb112 at the Northwest TB GTG yesterday. Sweet little amp for low dough. I might be inclined to do that as opposed to an extension cab.

10. DavyR

DavyR Supporting Member

May 29, 2011
    Thanks for the responses. I found more on the topic. I was having search problems with the terms I was using.

Looks like adding the GK 112MBX ext cab may not be the way to go in that it doesn't add 'that much'. I don't, however, want to change the sound of the MB150E/112 by adding in a different combo. When things get to where you need more that the MB150/112 it might be time for another rig. Ha! How's 'bout adding another MB150E/112 combo and using two? %^)

11. You can get a Fearful Base 12" in either 4 or 8 ohm. You should be able to snag one for around $600. Turn off the internal speaker and you can run 150 watts into the 4-ohm Fearful. Might add some 'whump!'

12. I just can't believe the OP didn't title this:
    GK Curious.

13. DavyR

DavyR Supporting Member

May 29, 2011
    Thanks for ALL the response! :meh:

I went ahead and ordered a new GK 112MBX Bass Extension Speaker. This is the metal cab that matches the cab of the MB150E/112 or MB150S/112 Micro Bass combo amp, as part of the GK MicroBass Series. I searched and read dozens of threads here. Thank you for those. There is some confusion. There is only ONE GK bass cab with the letter "X" in it and it is the 112MBX!!! GK added to the confusion and produced an MB series of amp heads, not to be confused with the MicroBass Series. I'll let you know how the new cab goes. Thanks!

14. The new "MB" series is the updated MicroBass series, that is what the MB stands for. The first head in the new series was named the MB2-500. The "2" got dropped.

15. synaesthesia

synaesthesia

Apr 13, 2004
    UK
    I had a pair of these cabs, and gigged with them quite a lot from 2001 to about 2009. I installed a crossover in each and with each I used a Dayton ribbon tweeter which would magnetically attach to the cab on edge.

I used it with a AI Clarus, and if I took one cab instead of two I could walk to gigs with my bass, Clarus head and cab. Sonically and weight wise, it was a great 8 years with the GK aluminium cabs, it was convenient and enjoyable but on comparison my 3 way cabs sounded much fuller; though have to say the Gk cab (modified with tweeter& crossover) did not offend the ear.

16. DavyR

DavyR Supporting Member

May 29, 2011
    Thanks! I should have said "Not to be confused with the original metal cab Microbass Series". But, IMO, GK added confusion with their naming conventions. For example, if you have a combo named MB150E/112 why would you name the extension cab 112MBX? Wouldn't MBX/112 or even MB150X/112 make more sense? :meh:

17. I don't know? 1 12" Micro Bass Extension (112MBX) makes sense to me. New series MB extension cabs are MBE and the Powered extension cabs are MBP. Of course Robert Gallien is an engineer not a marketing wiz. :)

alaskaleftybass likes this.
  18. I have a Mb150s and through normal wear and tear the cone has separated. I have always thought about upgrading the speaker. Currently the MB150s uses a Parason 12" 8ohm 37 hz Bass Driver.

Any ideas about speaker upgrade and issues related would be greatly appreciated. I have to act quickly as I use this for all of my rehearsals.

If I am not on the right page to post please let me know.

19. I love the extra cab. because with this cab I am able to handle all of my rehearsals and some of my casuals. Yesterday I was looking at Markbass amps the small one with an extra Marbass cab. which I think has a beautiful tone slightly compressed, I don't know if that is the right word. Then I went to rehearsal with the GK rig and to be honest it the MB150 with the MB112 cab has a great tone and does the job.