1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Curious about Gallien-Krueger 112MBX Extension Cab

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Adam Bomb, Dec 13, 2008.

1. Thanks for the link, I already noted the Paragon 12. I was hoping to get some insight as to upgrading to a better speaker. Maybe a lower frequency response. I am not sure that upgrading to a higher wattage is going to matter that much in this case. I am definitely interested in looking into a better quality driver if possible.

2. DavyR

DavyR Supporting Member

May 29, 2011
    I bought an older MB150/112 years ago but sold it since. The original speaker was replaced but supplied. I had it re-coned. When I went to remove the replacement speaker there were a few threading problems with the screws in the soft aluminum cab frame. Then, I realized that there was a 1" rubber gommet/washer at the point of the frame on the back of the original speaker. This rubber gommet/washer gets pressed up against the inside back of the cab and connects the speaker to the back of the cab with a screw through the center back of the cab. I assume that this contact between the speaker frame and the back of the cab is part of the sound of the MB150/112 combo, supplies support, and may stop the metal back of the cab from rattling? Therefore, an exact replacement speaker with the gommet/washer may be required. Has anyone looked inside an MB150/112 and seen this? GK should know!

3. synaesthesia

synaesthesia

Apr 13, 2004
    UK
    You are right there needs to be a post or brace between the backplate and the rear magnet. I
    When I had 2 of these cabs I modified one and tried it for a while with a coaxial driver, didn't sound good so went back to original but lost the bracing post, so made one with wood as a replacement to stop the backplate rattling in resonance.

mrufino1 likes this.
  4. Well after some more research I decided to get the paragon from gk. I am certainly grateful for the heads up regarding the screw and grommet in the back. My mb150 is one of the originals. The volume control is intermittent so I ordered some new pots. Gk no longer makes the original pots, so you will have to make extensions for the leads. I also discovered that they have changed both the transformer and motherboard. If you are going to get some replacement part, better get to it. The lady in sales sent me a schematic which will be a great help.

5. DavyR

DavyR Supporting Member

May 29, 2011
    Good move! Great that GK was able, and willing, to help. I ended up selling the older used MB150?/112 that I worked on above years ago and bought a new MB150E/112-III a few years ago. (BTW, the new combo also has a screw in the center back of its cab like the old combo, so I assume the newer combos are designed exactly the same as the older combos, i.e., they have the rubber bumper/gommet/washer on the back of the speaker pressed up against the inside of the cab and held in place by a screw thru the back of the cab.)
    At any rate, a new 112MBX extension cab should be here any day from RMC Audio Direct for $269. I'll be ready to jam with a bit more power! :hyper:

Ever Wire likes this.
  6. DavyR

DavyR Supporting Member

May 29, 2011
    I received the 112MBX ext cab today. Sounds great! So much more low end. I may have to adjust the EQ a bit. It did change the cleaness of the single combo cab and some of the high end bite is now washed out from what my ears can detect at this point. But, I'm hooked on these little buggers. Also, bought covers for both on EBAY. Now, if I could only find a good band? Ha! :bassist:

7. teh

teh

Oct 26, 2012
    I had an MB150S first series back in the day. The built-in speaker wasn't very loud, but great tone. I remember plugging in an 8 ohm 15" ported cab, and the cab was much louder than the built-in 12". I don't know if the newer ones have a more efficient speaker, but it probably won't be much louder, I think it's not even ported, just closed back.

I'm thinking of getting one of those cabs too, but more for practice and recording.

Kind of expensive too, I've seen them for 299 Euros.

Although I don't really need it because I have a nice carpet covered 12". But unfortunately my cats find it more enticing than the carpet on the floor or the scratching post.

8. DavyR

DavyR Supporting Member

May 29, 2011
    IMO, the MB150E/112 & MB150S/112 are known for their very light weight, great tone & reliability. So, yeah, recording, practicing by yourself, or practicing, or playing, with a moderate volume level band with the 112MBX ext. cab, is why I bought them. I had a jam yesterday afternoon and the more experience guitar player remarked how great the tone was with my MB150E/112 & 112MBX. Hey, Carol Kaye says she uses them for studio work. BTW, there's a sticker on the back of the 112MBX cab near the input jack that says, "8 Ohms, 100 Watts". I assume that these cabs are NOT rated at 150 Watts as many have posted here. As far as settings, at this point, I'm running all EQ flat, the Contour maxed, the Boost maxed (Boost is only on the MB150E model!), and the Hi End Boost all the way down. IMO, at this point this combo amp wouldn't cut it without the Contour & Boost, but, I'm still experimenting.

UPDATE: I did a moderate volume level stage gig this weekend with great room acoustics. I ran the MB150E/112 with no ext. cab with input vol at 9 PM & output volume at 12 noon. It was able to cut it with only a tad sent into the monitors for the band. I did find myself turning down the Contour Control from 'Max' to 'Halfway' in order to get more mids to punch through the drums, guitars and keys. The PRE direct out was cliping for the soundman. He switched to POST and all was ok. Not sure why this was other than this 1966 Hofner bass, with Hofner brand rounds, has very hot staple pickups!?

9. alaskaleftybass

alaskaleftybass Will Hanbury, Jr. Supporting Member

Mar 21, 2012
    Sitka, Alaska
    ZOMBIE THREAD RESURRECT: Has anyone every tried a couple of these with either the GK MB200 or MB500? I think that would an ultimate portable rig. But I'm concerned that the amp is not designed to work well with the MB200 or MB500. Any thoughts? Thanks everyone.

10. HaphAsSard

HaphAsSard

Dec 1, 2013
    Italia
    It was a popular combination in the "nano, no bigger than the cat" rig thread, ever since the opening post:
    Nano-Rigs of “Doom”

alaskaleftybass likes this.
  11. alaskaleftybass

Mar 21, 2012
    Sitka, Alaska
  12. rafammbass

rafammbass

Jan 23, 2007
    All right guys, so I ended up buying a 112MBX during a Black Friday sale on amazon.ca, scored one for CAD280, free shipping. When I got it in the mail, the paint was a little stained above the logo, and since I like things pristine, I contacted amazon customer service.

Since this is a non-returnable item, they are sending a “replacement”. The dude never waited to hear if the cab works or not, and said I could dispose of the unit I had as I wished...

So... I was thinking about drilling a hole through the backplate to install a parallel output so I can connect the two together and run it with my MB200 as my nano rig.

13. alaskaleftybass

Mar 21, 2012
    Sitka, Alaska
    Wow. That's excellent. Did you ever do that? Install a parallel 1/4 out?

I have a GK MB200 micro head and have toyed with getting one of these cabs just for fun at the office. Small and portable. How much bass does the little guy put out for you?

14. rafammbass

rafammbass

Jan 23, 2007
    The replacement cabinet still has not arrived. I have a delivery range from Jan 29 to March 12. I am hoping to get it closer to the end of that range, though. Installing the parallel output should not be a problem. However, I have been thinking about leaving them stock and soldering a Y cable myself. Might be easier to sell them "stock" if I ever decide to.

I am pretty happy with the output of just the one cabinet, especially with the MB200 head, which has great range in tonal options for its size. I am hopeful doubling the output will likely make me twice as happy! Haha

15. alaskaleftybass

Mar 21, 2012
    Sitka, Alaska
    No need for any modifications. Here's a link to a splitter 1/4" cable:

https://smile.amazon.com/Seismic-Au...&sr=8-13&keywords=1/4"+speaker+splitter+cable

16. gl1234

gl1234 Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2015
    Or use a Y cable with Speakon at amp end x two 1/4 male, into two 112mbx cabs. I had one but don't remember the cable vendor.

17. alaskaleftybass

Mar 21, 2012
    Sitka, Alaska
    Right. I own an MB200 and forgot about the Speakon!

18. gl1234

gl1234 Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2015
    At the moment i'm using a single speakon x 1/4 to connect my MB200 and 112MBX. Another option i've used is a standard 1/4 x 1/4 speaker cable, with a neutrik speakon adapter that plugs into one of the 1/4 male, into amp. A little bulky however and the cable and adapter weigh almost as much as the amp!

I used to have the MB150S combo amp plus 112MBX ext. cab and the pair really does sound nice, fuller and deeper than the single cab. But i sold the MB150 when i got the MB200 amp to use with the single 112MBX which meets my needs for a small rig.

19. alaskaleftybass

Mar 21, 2012
    Sitka, Alaska
    How loud and bassy does it get for you? Club volume?