1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Cusack Scruzz Bass

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by vivaknoxvegas, Oct 11, 2016.

Tags:
  1. vivaknoxvegas

vivaknoxvegas El Duderino Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2002
    Knoxville, TN
    Anyone tried this one? I ordered one today after only reading about it, didn't see any videos online. I am hoping it takes care of dirt/fuzz on my mini board.

2. DreadRaver

DreadRaver

Nov 19, 2008
    Associate of Cusack Music / Mojo Hand FX
    Try searching for the Cusack Screamer Fuzz Bass, as the Scruzz Bass is the same circuit, just shrunk down into the never-off package size.
    Here's one to start:

3. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Brooklyn, NY
    There's one of these in the classifieds...looks great.

vivaknoxvegas likes this.
  4. Driven Crane

Driven Crane

May 30, 2014
    please tell us, how it sounds in your rig when you get it!

vivaknoxvegas and DreadRaver like this.
  5. Great things about it:
    - A very well defined and clear fuzz sound; not too brutal, but very aggressive. One thing I don't like in many fuzzes is the fine grain they tend to have, but the Cusack is the opposite to that. It certainly has theeth! The fuzz is very dynamic and uncompressed.
    - Both circuits blended together sound terrific. You have different layers of saturation working at the same time, but not in a messy way. Both distorted sounds compliment each other in a very musical way, keeping the aftermentioned clarity to the sound.
    - The three clipping modes. Such a versatile feature! They all sound good and it's not dificult at all to find a use for each one.

(Maybe) Not so great things:
    - The big volume difference between the fuzz and the overdrive. The fuzz is really loud in comparison to the OD. That makes it a little tricky to set the right amount of each signal in the final mix.
    - The output control (volume) can add a huge boost to the signal. This is not a bad thing by its own, but it results in a very sensitive control (you probably won't go past 10) when the fuzz is in use. I mention this because I think this fact is related to the previous point I've made (volume differences between fuzz and OD). So, being capable of such a huge volume spectrum makes it possible to compensate the volume difference when using one of the circuits by its own.
    - I find the inherent sound of the fuzz circuit has a bright/trebly character that can't be easily dialed back (specially since the pedal hasn't a tone control).

As you can see, the cons aren't really that bad, and they are truly cons if those features bother you; but I can perfectly imagine others that don't feel the same. All in all, a good pedal; very unique features and unique fuzz sound. The OD is a really, really good TS variant. Even the price is friendly. I hope you enjoy it!

Last edited: Oct 22, 2016
    DreadRaver and vivaknoxvegas like this.
  6. vivaknoxvegas

May 6, 2002
    Knoxville, TN
    Thanks for the great info Frank.

Frank_Raider likes this.
  7. You welcome! I hope it suits your needs!

8. superheavyfunk

superheavyfunk 音楽は人生だ

Mar 11, 2013
    Toronto
    I've got a Screamer Bass fuzz but while I dig it, I can't help but feel that it's got this wierd hole in the upper mids or something that just doesn't work well with my bass and amp. I've been hoping to trade it away but bass fuzz is a very niche market.

Anyway, it really does have teeth. The fuzz is huge and the OD especially with the switch has a very wide range. If you like the tubescreamer sound, you're bound to love this pedal.

9. vivaknoxvegas

May 6, 2002
    Knoxville, TN
    I think I need help with drive pedals, and gain pedals in general. Most of them that I try are so hot, I can barely have the pedal engaged with a tiny bit of level or volume on the pedal and it's too loud for the volume I need to be at. I had this happen again with the Scruzz last night, and didn't really even get to try it out effectively. It was insanely loud at technically low volume on the pedal. What am I doing wrong?

I have not had this issue with the Pork Loin, which is my current all time favorite OD pedal. Probably why it's one of my favs. It just works, blends so well with the other components of my rig.

10. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Nov 29, 2020