1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Cuss words in songs?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by pushbuttonfour, Mar 10, 2013.

1. pushbuttonfour

pushbuttonfour

Dec 20, 2012
    So, I am just now starting to put lots of effort into writing my songs, and I was wondering, should I avoid using buss words in my songs? I'm in High School, and I'm sure my dad would be a little upset with it, but other than that, I can't see any other reason to avoid using them. If I ever play at a family-friendly venue, I can simply change the words. But still, do you recommend excluding offensive words from my songs?

2. What kind of music do you play? Unless it's really ****ing heavy, I would say stay away from cussing. It's kind of unnecessary, IMO.

3. Bert Slide

Bert Slide

May 16, 2012
    Louisville KY
    Write what you want, If profanity is what it takes to express it then have at it. Having the radio/family version is a good idea too. :)

4. pushbuttonfour

pushbuttonfour

Dec 20, 2012
    it's punk, so it kinda fits

5. FiskFisk33

FiskFisk33

Oct 3, 2011
    then i assume you'd agree that its kind of ****ing stupid to let others tell you how to live your life, what the **** are you doing here asking us? :bassist:

6. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Supporting Member

Haha well yeah it has to be tame punk if you ask about the use of cuss words.

7. pushbuttonfour

pushbuttonfour

Dec 20, 2012
    lol it is. I should have specified; it's more like alternative. Think Fall Out Boy, blink-182, etc. (inb4 FOB's not punk! we use power chords and are influenced by big punk bands, but we've sort of evolved in a different direction)

8. Mike in Chicago

Mike in Chicago Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2011
    Chicago
    Don't use them. They sound forced, Like you're trying way too hard to be rebellious.

It's uncool and poser like.

9. hsech

hsech Work hard. My Social Security needs a raise.

Jun 27, 2012
    Central Iowa
    I wouldn't use profanity in my music. You may play for an audience one week that thinks it's cool or OK, but the next week you may play for a different audience that thinks the profanity is rude and vulgar. Just my thoughts.

10. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Supporting Member

Use whatever language is fit for the song. Why retraining yourself?
    The song may not be fit for the audience though.

11. Scott Sauna

Scott Sauna

Oct 12, 2012
    Oregon
    Use profanity all you want! Who is really going to care? If people are offended by your lyrics then **** THEM! Who gives a single **** about cuss words in music anyway?

12. Cuss songs are not bad especially for genre. I don't think it's wrong in even neo-soul or old school sounding soul songs as long as it fits. I don't know what's going on back home anymore (US), but they consistently play this song on fox tv here that pisses me off when I hear it. The hook or what ever you want to call and goes something like this "I wanna party and bull$hit". LAME!

13. Maleikbassist

Maleikbassist

Mar 8, 2013
    Personally I think it's ridiculous when an artist has to write two versions of a song because of the lyrical content(as made famous to me by Mr. Green) with that being said, I think some bands/people can nail it without it being too forced. Such as the few songs from The Wall by Pink Floyd. A term like sh*t would be used as an adjective in relation to what the lyrics are about, and I wouldn't make a big deal. But something like the F word... That word had been dumbed down and has multiple meanings, you'd be much better off with something that would be a better fit in place of the F Word.

14. Kmonk

Kmonk

Oct 18, 2012
    South Shore, Massachusetts
    Endorsing Artist: Fender, Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan Strings, Nordstrand Pickups, Korg Keyboards
    I do not like cuss words in songs. I don't see the point. People do it because they think it sounds cool. To me, it just makes them sound unintelligent.

15. chatterbox272

chatterbox272

Apr 12, 2012
    I wouldn't care either way to be honest, if one of those words is the word that feels like it fits best then use it, but don't use them for the sake of using them. Hell, one of my favourite songs is F*** by Bring Me The Horizon, so obviously it can work.

16. IPYF

IPYF

Mar 31, 2011
    Only if it's clever, regardless of genre. It's usually not clever, so you need to be careful what you do.

17. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    More often than not do I think of cuss words as the blunt instrument one uses when there really is nothing else in the shed on might use instead. Only if there is nothing else at all.
    To me cuss words make those using them look quite stupid and uninspired, most of the time.

Only one exception comes to mind.

18. kevteop

kevteop

Feb 12, 2008
    York, UK
    They're just words. Mark Twain said use the right word, not its second cousin.

Curse words are pretty powerful when they're applied well, so I see no reason to rule them out.

19. Meddle

Meddle

Jul 27, 2009
    Scotland
    There is nothing punk about worrying about offending your Dad over lyrics!

20. lfmn16

lfmn16 Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2011
    charles town, wv
    If you have to ask this, you may want to re-think your writing process. For me, when I write something it just comes out. Unless you are writing insipid, formulaic, pop music to be played in the most generic and soulless style possible by Justin Beaver and his ilk, write from your heart and let the cards fall where they may.