Custom ear plugs?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by wildsponge, Nov 3, 2004.

1. wildsponge

Oct 21, 2004
    Novato, CA
    Hey guys. This is my first post. My name is Wildsponge and I've surfed here for quite a while and am a regular at Harmony-Central Bass Forum so we can skip the introductions.

My question is: I was thinking about getting some custom ear plugs and see that there are the er-9, er-15, and er-25. My question is, does a set come with all 3 levels of filters or do you only get to pick one and have to buy the additional ones if you want them? THX
  2. SoyBase

Jul 1, 2001
    Atlanta, Ga
    Hello and welcome aboard!

I have a set of the ER-15's that I got made at my local ear doctor. They cost me $160 but worth EVERY penny.

Here is the kicker. Its not the cost of the plugs themselves thats high, its the filters. I only got to pick one set. If you want to replace them, its about $40-45 just for the filters. Expensive, but if you take care of your plugs, you won't replace them anytime soon. The 15's are a good halfway point and still keep all the clarity, with very minimal high end loss.

I've had mine for over 3 years and as long as I don't lose them, I'll use them for many years to come.

Hope this helps. My friends got theirs at local hearing aide shops for somewhat cheaper. I believe it was Westone.

3. msquared

Sep 19, 2004
    Kansas City
    I have both the ER-15 and the ER-25. I use the 25s any time I'm watching a show somewhere and the 15s onstage. I highly recommend them.

One thing I did was to get the soft molds (silicone, I think) instead of the hard plastic molds. The musicians I know who have the hard plastic dislike them a lot. My silicone plugs are very comfortable though, and don't unseal when I move my mouth like the hard plastic ones are reported to do sometimes.
  4. Do the custom plugs stick out at all? From your ear, that is.
  5. msquared

Sep 19, 2004
    Kansas City
    They are designed to sit inside of your ear canal and not stick out. The silicone is clear, so in a club setting it's impossible to tell that someone has them in. In any pictures I see of myself playing I always look and never can tell.

If someone is standing onstage also, they can probably tell. But they're mostly invisible. The only thing that sticks out is a string (think "fishing line") with a small ball on the end so you can get them out after the show.
  6. for anyone out there in the UK, is it possible to get custom plugs through your GP (i.e for free on the NHS- i am a student), or do ya have to go private? any info much appreciated!
  7. NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio