1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Custom pickups for 7-strings???

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Margus Alviste, Dec 16, 2006.

1. Could anyone suggest a good source for custom 7-string pickups? I just bought a wonderful AV 7-string built by master builder Alesh Vychodil (Czech Republic) with horrible pickups (Kent Armstrong, BTW!!!). I need to change the pickups as soon as I can to enjoy it! :)
    Thanks!
    Margus

2. elros

elros

Apr 24, 2004
    Norway
    Proprietor, Helland Musikk Teknologi
  3. Thanks, that was a good one! :) Anybody ells?
    Margus

4. dood

dood

Dec 9, 2004
    UK
    If you sring spacing is narrow enough you could get away with EMG 45's J, DC or TW style. (Please don't slap me! I just like the sound of EMGs!)

I have a pair of DCs on my 7er

rig2.

5. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
  6. My AV has a 18mm string spacing at the brigde. Here's a picture...
    Margus

7. There are lots of pickup makers that will make 7 sttring bass pickups. I have made some in the past. But, Kent Armstrong makes a good pickups. What is it that you don't like about your sound?

8. fullrangebass

fullrangebass

May 7, 2005
    Europe
    Villex is my suggestion. and i am sure he can make it for you

9. I always thought that Kent Armstrong makes quality pickups but those change the sound of the bass just too much. It sounds kind of muddy. While the lower notes are quite ok, especially when I use only bridge pickup, the high C and F do not sound good at all. I have to change the pan of the pickups if I like to play in upper register. The natural sound of the wood is killing - I mean very good, and I would like to get the same feeling through it's pickups. :meh:

10. Bassflute

Bassflute

Jun 24, 2006
    Vancouver
    Endorsing Artist: MTD basses and strings; Bergantino Amps & Cabs
    You'll have to do a bit of routing, though.

:D

Cameron

11. maurilio

maurilio Musician - Owner Mo's Shop & MBD - Tech Nordstrand Commercial User

May 25, 2003
    Redlands, CA
    Hey,
    nice looking bass!

Have you try Nordstrand? Carey does great job and he's not expensive!

Nordstrandguitars.com

Cheers

M

12. Does Carey make custom pickups for 7-string??? If so, I would be happy, because I like his pickups the most! :)

13. maurilio

maurilio Musician - Owner Mo's Shop & MBD - Tech Nordstrand Commercial User

May 25, 2003
    Redlands, CA
    Hello,
    Carey did pups for 7/8/10 strings. I saw them.... There was pics in his website, dond't know if they are still there, tho!

Cover wise, depends on the size of yours.

M