Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

custom shop dreams

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mindflow, May 30, 2005.

1. mindflow

mindflow

Oct 31, 2004
    San Diego
    im really wanting a fender custom shop jazz bass in olympic white. i have read all of the threads saying that its a waste of money which it may well be. couple of questions for those who might know.

- i have a friend who works at guitar center and basically can get me crazy deals at cost, how would this be possible with custom shop basses. could i just have him order a standard custom model to the store?

- would it be a better move to go with warwick or something of the sort? i already have a perfect reissue neck i could use but i know nothing about electronics and putting them in.

or what would you do if you wanted the same thing (Fender)

2. KeithPas

KeithPas

May 16, 2000
    Poulsbo,Wa
    Contact Nino Brown from Valenti Basses, tell him what you want and he will make a bass for you that equals or surpasses any custom Shop Fender.

3. r379

r379

Jul 28, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    Basses from Mike Lull might be another consideration. There was a thread involving them here on TB within the last couple of weeks. Do a search.

4. Peter Parker

Peter Parker Banned

Jun 10, 2001
    You forgot to add one of these :D after the joke you just told. Some will think you are serious.

5. two things,

firstly I think you mean warmoth not warwick if you want to use your own neck.

secondly, "Peter Parker" have you even played a Valenti? I haven't but from what I have seen/heard they are amazing and I would love to get my hands on one. I don't think it is fair of you to be bashing his product without actually playing it.

6. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    If you already have a perfect reissue neck, then maybe you should just order a body painted in olympic white from Warmoth or USA Custom Guitars, add hardware and pickups, and have it built for you by a good luthier. That should be less expensive than the Custom Shop.

You didn't specify which model you want, but I think some of Fender's American Vintage series P and J basses are available in olympic white. That would also be less than going to the Custom Shop.

7. saintx

saintx

May 30, 2005
    Midwest
    I've had a Fender Custom Shop Relic Jazz bass as my main bass for about 6 years now. Pretty sure it always will be. I paid $1600 new. Make sure to put some TI Flats on it ;)

I also have a Warmoth bass. Nice bass but not close to a custom shop instrument.

8. Peter Parker

Peter Parker Banned

Jun 10, 2001
    I'm not bashing. Warmoth makes some great parts and I'm sure Nino bolt's them together well. I've played many Custom SHop basses and guitars and the attention to detail is much better than a Warmoth. Plus as far as re-sale value and ease of re-sale, which is something to consider in this very fickle bass player market, the Fender is the safer buy.

9. KeithPas

KeithPas

May 16, 2000
    Poulsbo,Wa
    I don't own a Valenti bass but I researched them thoroughly. Nino does more than bolt pieces together. Do a search on Valenti basses and at least look at the guys work. I'm not critizing Fender at all, if that is the route you want to go make sure you post a review and some pics.

10. steve_man

steve_man

May 15, 2002
    I can't comment on nino's work (I've never had the opportunity to play one of his instruments).

I can however comment on one fender custom classic I played two years ago. I hated the pickups in it and it and felt very lifeless. I've played a good few fenders that (IMHO) played much better. Can't say this for all CS's though.

Also, you'll probably get a better resale value on the fender CS but I wouldn't let that come between you and the bass you want.

11. Peter Parker

Peter Parker Banned

Jun 10, 2001
    I think it's important to note that there are a few different types of Custom SHop pieces available. The Custom Classics are more like a production instrument from the Shop and not a true Custom like the Master Built. I really like the Custom Classic's, I have one on order, but they aren't a true Custom as they only offer a few colors and options.

12. Jugghaid

Jugghaid

Jun 28, 2002
    Denver, CO, USA
    For the same ballpark price, maybe take a look at a Sadowsky or a Lull or a Suhr. CS basses are not cheap, and neither are these. Any difference between these are probably just personal preference as you will get and extremely high quality instrument from any of these luthiers.

13. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    And mention Lakland in there too. The Bob Glaub and Joe Osborn signatures are essentially 60's type P and J basses, respectively. Many pros leave their vintage Fenders at home, and use these. But the U.S. models are so expensive that they might not represent much, if any, savings over a CS Fender.

14. mindflow

mindflow

Oct 31, 2004
    San Diego
    yeah i did mean warmouth. i did my research on lull, valenti and lakland and they all seem to make great basses. for the money though i think id rather go with fender mainly because i cant get into other headstocks even if they are similar, which is really stupid, id like to believe im above brand names but apparently not in this case.plus resale value is also a factor, you never know what might come up. i guess ill keep looking. if anyone knows a store in san diego that might carry CS let me know. also peter, when you ordered your custom classic did you place an order with GC and then they place an order with CS? or does CS already have some in stock because it is more like a production line insturment? also thanks for everyones help, TB is the ****

15. Peter Parker

Peter Parker Banned

Jun 10, 2001
    I manage a music store so I placed an order with me and was treated very well;) They typically do have a few Custom Shop pieces in. Some very strange and some more usual. Most times they'll have a standard Jazz or P with custom colors and such.

16. I say get a graphite necked warwick.

17. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

Best bang for the buck these days is LeCompteBass.com for sure. I got a 100% custom made bass not using Warmoth pre-made parts (not that there's anything wrong with that, but this is a TRUE custom), for under $1200! Bart Electronics (yes a Bart pre too), Walnut and spalted elm body, wood pickup covers, maccasar ebony frett board, etc, etc! Call Bud. Since he's new, he's giving you a lot more than the other bog boys would for you $ while he is trying to establish himself. You;d spend at least twice elsewhere for the same craftmanship!

My baby!

[​IMG]

18. Peter Parker

Peter Parker Banned

Jun 10, 2001
    Yeah that looks just like Fender :)

19. r379

r379

Jul 28, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    And in Olympic White, too!

20. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

Yeah, yeah, that's the ticket.......ahem! ;)