Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Custom Thumb

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Jordy, Sep 2, 2005.

1. Going in tomorrow to order my Warwick Thumb 5.
    Getting it with a Wenge neck, and the older brass just-a-nut. Sticking with the MEC's though. So it's just really a new-old setup Thumb. Not too custom, I know...
    However, mega excitement all round. :hyper:
    But at least 12-14 weeks to wait for it :bawl:

2. neckthru or bolt on?

3. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Cool.

I wish they would put an "oldschool W" option on their options list, that has wenge neck and brass nut with recessed straplocks.

4. How would I go about ordering one of the original brass just-a-nut's for my FNA Jazzman? I've had a bit of searching around the Warwick website and come up with nothing. :bawl:

I'm not a fan (at all) of the sharp plastic nut the current generation Warwicks come with... :scowl: Other than that I love my baby! :D

5. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    any authorized warwick dealer can order any warwick hardware for you

6. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    How much extra was the Wenge neck over the standard Thumb pricing? If you'd rather PM me, that's fine. I know of only a couple of people that have gonne the Warwick Custom route, and I've received mixed feedback on the pricings. Two guys said the price wasn't much more than the regular model, and the other said it wasn't worth the charge ar all. I've been talking about it for wanting to have a Stage I with a Bubinga body, Wenge/Bubinga neck, and EMG CS soapbars with an EMG 3-band pre.

7. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    You can get a brass nut from Dana B. for about 30$

8. Bassosaurus

Bassosaurus

Aug 27, 2005
    that would be very cool indeed! However w/ the wider neck, and all, I believer that would be a VERY heavey bass (this would be larger than a thumb bass). - though i do prefer their looks and sound, those woods weigh quite abit more than maple

9. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    Yeah, it would be on the weighty side, but the tone would make it worth it. Actually, I'd maybe even keep the neck Bubinga with the Wenge laminates instead of the reverse. I had two buddies that had endorsement deals with Warwick and I was kicking the idea around with them about getting one, but they both ended up dropping their Warwick endorsements.

10. Redhotbassist

Redhotbassist

Oct 19, 2002
    England
    Cant wait to see this custom bass!

11. The Wenge neck is about another $650.00 Australian, but they said they would do the brass nut for no extra charge, they must have about a thousand laying around in a cupboard ;)
    I'm about to leave and order it now! Whoop whoop whoop whoop whoop whoop whoop :hyper:

12. Sorry UrbanAssault415, It's a neck through model.

13. primus_55

primus_55

Dec 28, 2004
    Who/where are you ordering it from?

14. Senor SQUID

Senor SQUID Guest

Jan 11, 2004
    I would love a bubinga Streamer Stage II 5 string :bassist:

15. Just got back from ordering the bass.
    I'm ordering it through Billy Hyde Music in Melbourne.
    Full specs:
    Bubinga body
    Wenge neck
    Ebony Fingerboard
    Bell Brass Just-A-Nut I
    Recessed Strap-Locks
    Natural Oil Finish.

And now we play the waiting game...

16. jayneee

jayneee

Sep 4, 2005
    :hyper: :bassist: :hyper:
    oooooh yeaah
    bam bom bom ching

17. Awesome!

I have a 97 Thumb 5 which has the Wenge neck and Brass nut. I always thought if I was to buy a new Warwick I would go through their custom shop and see if I couldn't get those options on a new bass. Glad to hear it's possible. Let us know how it turns out!

John

18. dhadleyray

dhadleyray Guest

Dec 7, 2004
    I have a '88 wenge/bubinga/brass nut Thumb bass, and the tone is incredible. I just bought a fretless Thumb 6 with the graphite nut. I have bartolini's in the older one and MEC's in the newr one. I can't recommend the bart's enough. There IS a difference. I will replace the MEC's ASAP.

19. Daywalker

Daywalker

Apr 13, 2005
    SOCAL
    DAMNIT! I'm so freakin jealous right now! I'm really happy for you, my day will come soon enough I guess. There WILL be a NT Thumb 5 in my future. I'll be lookin for pics in exactly 12-14 weeks!!!

20. Is your Jazzman a fretless? I'm thinking very seriously about getting one somehow. I think it'll mean selling a few other basses... :spit: Crap!