1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Customizing your low-end bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Metalmaster6254, Jun 3, 2014.

1. Metalmaster6254

Metalmaster6254

Apr 9, 2014
    Do you believe in doing this ? I was thinking of doing this to my low end bass, such as changing the pickups,strings,bridge, etc. Just making it sound amazing. What do you think ? Also while im at it, what do you think of the duncun sb-3 p bass puckup ? Thanks

Last edited: Jun 3, 2014
  2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I'm never a fan of changing anything if it's working for you, but I've gotten a couple basses that required it, so that's a case by case basis. I'll say, though, that modding a $200 bass with $400 worth of parts doesn't make it a $600 bass, so if you do it, forget about making money from it.

TinIndian, madjazzbass and mattyb5000 like this.
  3. mattyb5000

mattyb5000

Apr 17, 2014
    Boston, MA
    You can do anything you want -- have at it! :D

4. madjazzbass

madjazzbass Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2014
    Earth
    Hell, I've done it with a fender FSR , and I'm probably gonna do it again with a Essex/SX Jazz Bass as soon as I find the right neck for it.

5. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Supporting Member

No opinion about doing mods. The sb-3 is an honest-to-God pickup but it doesn't sound amazing.

6. Mediocrity Man

Mediocrity Man Master of Mediocrity

Apr 11, 2014
    Stillwater, New Jersey
    Just did some mods to my Fender FSR and it was well worth it. For an extra $200 it really made a difference.

If you love the instrument already then there's no loss in my humble opinion.

madjazzbass likes this.
  7. 2saddleslab

2saddleslab Supporting Member

May 30, 2003
    Kentucky
    ^This.
    Here's an example of the need to upgrade, TV Jones PU's are a vast improvement over the originals. $5.00 shine on a $2.00 pair of shoes? Well, not sure [or care] of the monetary value but it plays great, sounds huge, and looks better than ever. So for me, well worth it.
    P1150358.

8. Kevin aka Kebo

Kevin aka Kebo Commercial User

Nov 17, 2011
    Princeton NJ
    Owner - Kebo's Bass Works
    Few things... Regarding a cheaper bass
    * Changing strings IS NOT a mod
    * Modding the shi* out of a bass to make it work for you is throwing good money after bad - its just the wrong bass for you
    * There are some AMAZING upgrades you can do on the cheap.. ie: A Japan or Mexi Fender - change the pots and o/p jack. Wanna add an onboard pre? Why not get an Aggie/Pensa/Sadowsky/MXR stomp box pre amp and keep it for all your basses. Tuners - unless theyre slipping or you need a drop d, why swap em?

A mid price bass - I havent seen too many great mods for a G&L, Musicman etc.. I've seen some decent MM pickups but thats not a major swap..

Another misconception is its the bass, the reality, its the amp....

9. Mike A

Mike A

Oct 3, 2002
    Kentucky
    All spot on, Kebo!

I'm working on a MIM Jazz project now. It was a great bass before I started... probably one of the best playing Jazzes I've owned, oddly enough. I dropped about $150 in electronics to put into it, stripped all the finish off and it hits the milling machine at lunchtime today. Do I expect that value to be added to the bass? No way... I'm killing the value for nearly anyone but myself, but that's why I'm doing it. Because I WANT to. She's also staying a beater bass. I tend to enjoy playing them more when I don't have to worry about dents & dings.

10. I swapped out the tuners for lighter weight ones, and the electronics because I found some that made a noticeable difference on my SX SS P bass. Tuners + guts = $75.00. Now it plays fine and sounds good, and I really didn't' spend all that much on the whole shebang. ($125.00 on the bass itself.)

11. It's an extremely rewarding hobby where you will learn a lot. About guitars, about engineering in general, about electronics and wood in general, and about patience.

I would rather play a cheap bass that I put (some money) in parts and hours of my own labor into, than an off-the-rack $1000 bass any day of the week.

madjazzbass likes this.