Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Cut the strings?

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by Nivaca, Jun 28, 2005.

1. Nivaca

Nivaca

Jan 8, 2005
    Hi,
    At another forum I found the following:
    Is this correct? Is so, where and how can DB strings cut?

Thanks!

2. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    As to "The longer the string...stays in tune" -- this makes absolutely no sense. The strings are firmly on the tuning peg or not.

If you have a lot of extra length, you can trim the end off with any pair of decent wire cutters. I would recommend that you wait a couple of days before you do this to make sure that the strings are wrapped properly on the pegs.

3. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    What about gut strings? Should they be trimmed, and how? There's always a lot of excess that sometimes interferes with the path of the other strings. I had to trim a slight bit of fraying off my gut E string so it would fit in the hole, and I used a single edge razor blade. Was that the right thing to do or is there a better way?

4. I was wondering about the "cutting strings" issue as well. I will soon be restringing my Eminence EUB and the tuner posts seem much smaller than "regular" DB shafts.

If I recall from the EB world, as long as strings are cut on the thread, all will be fine. Anyone think otherwise? (FYI, I'm not referring to gut strings here.)

5. Adrian Cho

Adrian Cho Supporting Member

Sep 17, 2001
    Ottawa, Canada
    I justed posted in this thread about trimming strings. I use unwound gut on G and D and just trimmed the strings this past yesterday. I thought perhaps I might need to melt the end of the gut to stop it from fraying but I don't think that's going to happen.