1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
  2. Welcome Back!  Please see this thread for more info about the site outage.  Thank you for your patience as we work out bugs and tweak server configs.

Czech-ease basses?

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by Crash907, Dec 22, 2007.

1. Crash907

Crash907

Jun 11, 2007
    Houston
    It's probably already been discussed, but im considering getting one of the Czech-ease upright basses. I need a bass set up with a low action for the indie and ragtime gigs that I'm currently playing, but able to handle a bow for my studies in college. I played one at the ISB in oklahoma city, and while it was nice, I was hoping to get some feedback from some other people - any opinions, or suggestions on a different bass in that price range?

I'm currently using, as my full size bass, a cheap chinese bass that's hardly functional, and a Kay quarter size bass for sake of easier travel, to give an idea of what i've been dealing with so far.

2. neal davis

neal davis

Dec 29, 2006
    toronto canada
    the newer czech eases are alot better than the last ones, I think gage has redesigned the bass bar, if this is going to be your only bass I would suggest looking at something else but if it is just for traveling and playing some gigs it is great,

3. Chris Wood (MMW) used one of these at the last Wood Bros. show I saw. Amped up, it sounded fine, but not quite like his full size bass. I asked him about it and the deciding reason he uses it is because of travel restrictions on full size basses. Clearly he didn't prefer it. He still played like a monster on it.

4. Crash907

Crash907

Jun 11, 2007
    Houston
    Hmm. I'll have to take that into account. My kay is probably what i'll be using for a good while, then - being a smaller bass, it seems to take on a sort of paul mccartney-ish rubber band tone, but with the ability to get more physically into it than i really feel is available on my electric.
    Does anyone have any opinions on the kay quarter bass, as well? I'm running a magnetic pickup on it, a beiselle (not sure if that's how it's spelled, it came on the bass when i bought it and i only looked it up once) and I've been debating whether new strings would help get a more upright sound.

5. neal davis

neal davis

Dec 29, 2006
    toronto canada
    I'm not saying the czech ease is a bad bass, I quite like mine and actually prefer it in some rooms compared to my other bass, it sounds good and the only way you can tell if any instrument is right for you is to seek it out and play it

6. conte2music

conte2music Supporting Member

Jul 11, 2005
    Dobbs Ferry, NY
    I use my Czech-ease for the touring theater productions I play, and I wouldn't consider it if it wasn't for the ease of traveling. Unless you need to travel regularly by plane, play in a trio on a cruise ship, or tour extensively, look into a 3/4 instrument. The Czech-ease is a compromise designed for travel, and for the money you could get a New Standard, Upton or any number of 3/4 plywoods that would give you much superior sound and actual useable acoutic volume.

7. Get rid of the magnetic pickup if you want a more upright tone.

It sound to me like you've got a travel bass already (1/2 size Kay), you don't need another!

Get the Kay setup by a bass luthier, chuck on some good strings and a piezo pickup and you're good to go. THEN decide if you need a new bass.

8. Gintaras

Gintaras

Dec 11, 2004
    Kent Island, Md.
    I saw Kyle Eastwood a few months ago and he played one. It sounded really good thou I am not an expert on the upright (wish I was:rolleyes::)

9. Crash907

Crash907

Jun 11, 2007
    Houston
    the reason i was looking into a different potential travel bass is as much for something to play consistently that would be able to bow, as well - being such a small bass, i find bowing difficult on it, but perhaps that's simply a lack of practice. I do think I'll try your idea out, though - i love the sound of the bass for pizzicato, though i will note that it's an H-10 - an actual quarter bass, instead of a 1/2 size.

10. Crash907: The czech-ease is expensive, but for those who need what it does (smaller size, some acoustic volume, able to travel by plane), it's worth it. But I think most bassists who own a czech-ease also own a 'proper' DB that they would far prefer to gig with.

For the price of a czech-ease you could get a better DB that would sound better, but be more of a pain to carry round. -your call...

11. Crash907

Crash907

Jun 11, 2007
    Houston
    Do you have any basses in particular you reccomend, perhaps carved? I know next to nothing about carved basses, unfortunately, but I know in the plywood department that I've been looking into the Engelhardt swingmaster, and the lower end King models.

12. I played an Engelhardt a few days ago (first time in a while) and I was quite pleasantly surprised. It was a used one in a shop that had put a top notch set-up on it and it was a lot better playing and sounding than most of these I have seen over the years. See if you can find one to play and if you get one, make sure you get a good set-up. I think these can be good basses if properly set up.

Ken Smith has some good entry level basses at good prices and a full range of basses up to beautiful master works. If you want to step up to carved without going broke, Bob Gollihur has a tough deal to beat. Uptons are now making a range of basses in the USA that get good reviews here. I have seen a number of the hybrid and carved basses from Lemur in the entry level price range and these all looked and sounded good. Others worth mentioning:- Andreas Eastman, Shen, Christopher, Strunal, Roma, Eberle, Wilfer.

It's not really like bass guitars. You just need to check out a lot of basses right now. Stay away from unbelievable deals under $1000 for new instruments. Sometimes you can find good deals on used basses. Read the newbie threads. When you find a good candidate, come ask us if it is worth it and we'll help if we can.

13. bobsax

bobsax

Jan 16, 2011
    Southern Oregon
    I haven't heard this before.
    Any idea of the serial number range for for the improved ones?

14. neal davis

neal davis

Dec 29, 2006
    toronto canada
    I don't know mine was from 2007. I think mine was 076 it was a tinneo finish model.

I bought it a few moths after they started introducing more finishes it was a few years before they offered the hybrid or carved models

15. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 10, 2021