1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

d-180 loud enough

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by pulse, Sep 22, 2008.

1. pulse

pulse

Apr 10, 2007
    Berlin, Germany
    Can it handle a loud drummer?

I am actually interested in the overdrive characteristics of the amp so that does not disturb me if it gets dirty

2. I am asumming you're talking about The Mesa D-180. It's rated at 200w, but with six 6L6/5881 tubes. That seems optimistic to me. More like 180w with 6l6 or 150w with 5881.

IMO that amp will not do well, with a "loud" drummer. If the drummer is loud. I would imagine your guitarists are loud, and your sound will not cut through.

Btw Mesa sound in general is "dirty" and they overdrive well.

3. My main rig is a D-180 & RR 1x15, & I've had varying levels of success at 'cutting through'. Inside, no problem. Outdoors, I'm alright if I get time to tweak the EQ(get some strong mids in the right frequency to be heard w/o too much breakup or boominess). It's also fine if you have PA backup w/a clean DI signal from the bass. It can be a fine balancing act getting good enough volume w/o too much distortion(for me), but I love the tone. It can definitely produce some very beautiful overdrive.

4. pulse

pulse

Apr 10, 2007
    Berlin, Germany
    thanks yes I was referring too the Mesa D180

At the moment I have an SVTII which has buckets of volume and power but overdrive is a challenge for some strange reason, unless I want to sacrifice my hearing by cranking it.

That amp has the power to defeat my drummer, and also to sound enormous

enormous is required as well as a nice dirty tone

best
    J