Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

D drop

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by basswraith, Feb 25, 2005.

1. basswraith

basswraith

Mar 10, 2003
    Boston
    Does Any one have or have ever installed just a low D extension? There is description of making one in the Elgar books. Any thoughts?

2. Blaine

Blaine

Aug 4, 2001
    new york area
    I have a D ext. on one of my basses. I made it myself. I love it and hate it. I had a hard time with the E latch and Eb latch(which I later removed).
    Why a D? Because
    1. I think they're easier to make.
    2. You can use a regular (and cheaper) E string.
    3. I never have much need for a Db or C but dig the D on some gigs. one in particular with a guy who plays slide guitar in D and G only.
    If I could just get the latches right. Crud, now I have to go to my workbench.

3. basswraith

basswraith

Mar 10, 2003
    Boston
    Coool, do you have any pictures I could see?
    Maybe if you ask Bill Merchant, he could sell you some hard wear for the stops.
    Does your e string spindle go thru the apparatus?

4. Blaine

Blaine

Aug 4, 2001
    new york area
    "Does your e string spindle go thru the apparatus?"
    I'm sorry but I have no idea what you mean.
    I have no digital pics but will try to describe.
    Its very much like a C ext at the E end. the ebony sticks out to the low D. after the D the string comes off and is strung up to the A tuner(my A string is strung to the E tuner). I didn't use a pulley (C ext.s do) but it hasn't been a problem. The end of the ext. is supported by a cross piece that rests on the pegbox wall.

5. hirort

hirort

May 17, 2003
    Yokohama, Japan
    I have a couple of pics of D-extension. I guess Blaine's one is like this.

Attached Files:

6. basswraith

basswraith

Mar 10, 2003
    Boston
    Could you make those pictures clickable so they could enlarge? Thank you for posting them.

7. classicalband

classicalband

Feb 18, 2005
    why not do away with the extension and just tune D A d g?
    or D A d a.

see ya,
    CB

8. Jeremy Allen

Jeremy Allen Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2002
    Bloomington, IN
    That makes sense to me. Heck, sometimes when I'm covering orchestra stuff that requires a low C, I just tune down to C A d g. I get funny looks from "classically-trained" bassists for doing so, but then again they may just be responding to the sound coming from my Spirocores...

9. classicalband

classicalband

Feb 18, 2005
    Totally makes sense. Even the D A d a tuning works.

I met a guy, classically trained, who tuned a five string as follows....

Low C ( or B ) with an extension / A / d / g / high c

totally brilliant!!! Playing high notes in lower positions on the higher string gives more sounding string length leading to a more resonant, less " pinched thumb position sound." ( if i can use that term. ) There has always been solutions to problems on the bass. The instrument never stops evolving!

leter,
    CB

10. Alexi David

Alexi David

May 15, 2003
    NYC
    Interesting tuning. I am very close to switching to EADGC on my 5-string from (BEADG). This so I can play wide intervallic leaps in lower positions, especially because they don't sound so hot on plain guts high up on my humble bass (christopher hybrid). The Low B on this bass just ain't cutting it.

Interesting, the Extended D. Maybe Mike Pecanic can devise a fingered extension that is modular, with removable positions!

11. hirort

hirort

May 17, 2003
    Yokohama, Japan
    I'm sorry, but all that I have are just thumbnails. They were linked to bigger pics originally, but no links can be found now.
    They're pictures of a Japanese amature bassist's Juzek. I think a D-extension was installed by Yamamoto, one of the most famous bass shop in Tokyo.

Here are some more thumbnails.

Attached Files:

12. Mudfuzz

Mudfuzz

Apr 3, 2004
    WA...
    I think on of these would be kind of neat on a normal tuned five string, that way you could get a low A, if not just to show up the pianists. :p