1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

D-ROCK Triclops 3-string

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Delta_Petra, Feb 27, 2008.

1. Delta_Petra

Delta_Petra

Feb 26, 2008
    Portland, OR
    Hello Everybody,

I am new to TalkBass.com, but have been playing bass for 8 years now. I have had a number of basses throughout the years, but with the end of my p-bass I have decided to rebuild.

Many people have been interested in extending the range of the bass guitar by adding more and more strings. I decided to go the other route. I have made plans and am reworking my old Squier p-bass into a 3-string. My plan is to have the B, E, and A strings. Currently I am chipping the layers from the body and plan on cutting down the head to my own design.

Any advice during this process would be awesome and I am glad to be a part of this community.

2. grace & groove

grace & groove

Nov 30, 2005
    philly
    Self-Appointed Ambassador to the Dragonfly
    Welcome to the forum! Tons of information here. You should definitely read all the stickies here in the Luthier's Corner and all of the links in them. So much to learn.

3. Darkstrike

Darkstrike Return Of The King!

Sep 14, 2007
    Cool, hope it works out for ya!

4. Worshiper

Worshiper

Aug 13, 2004
    New York
    Welcome... don't forget to post progress pics :D

5. Delta_Petra

Delta_Petra

Feb 26, 2008
    Portland, OR
    So here is what I am starting with...

bassresize1.

bassresize2.

bassresize4.

bassresize3.

Now it isn't very impressive, especially after the wear I have put it through. I have been sanding down the neck and chipping the old paint away lately, so I will have those pictures up sometime.

6. Delta_Petra

Delta_Petra

Feb 26, 2008
    Portland, OR
    Just to show that I have been working on it, here are some stripped pics...

P3030009.

P3030010.

P3030012.

In order to make the 3-string the way I designed I used some 1/2 inch dowels to stop up the tuning key holes for the A and G strings. The plan is to cut those down and sand them nice. I also plan on cut the head down to look sort of like a modded tele bass.

P3030013.

P3030014.

Hope you enjoy the updates on this crazy frankenbass.

7. pbass2

pbass2

Jan 25, 2007
    Los Angeles
    I've seen a few 3-strings in my time. Very cool idea!

8. Delta_Petra

Delta_Petra

Feb 26, 2008
    Portland, OR
    Yeah, my idea was that many people try extending the range with more and more strings, I thought it would be fun to limit it. I have started with the thought of doing 2 string (E and A), but I have never had the pleasure of a 5-string with the low B, so I decided to add it on to this project.

We shall see what comes from this monster that I am creating.

9. very nice, hope it turns out well! if you're gonna trim down the neck make sure you take off equal amounts from either side so that the truss rod remains in the middle for proper adjustment.

10. Delta_Petra

Delta_Petra

Feb 26, 2008
    Portland, OR
    Yeah, I thought about the shaving when it was going to be a 2 string. Now I am just going to leave the neck as is and have the extra spacing.

Any suggestion on color of the final product? I have been thinking about a burgundy and red sunburst with pearly white stingray pickguard.

11. Ripper

Ripper

Aug 16, 2005
    NY/NC
    i actually have a 3 string upright... fun to play on, but having the lower strings is definitely better than the higher ones... i have it tuned ADG and i really miss the low end, but i dont have enough money to get another string :p

but hey, have fun with it!

12. Delta_Petra

Delta_Petra

Feb 26, 2008
    Portland, OR
    So I was attempting to get some work done today and had some issues...
    First off I found a power belt sander and router in my parent's garage, so that was a huge score. I sawed off the ends of the pegs on the head and sanded them down.

P3040004.

P3040005.

Then I proceeded to sand the last layer of poly from the body and was making progress...

P3040001.

P3040002.

... when tragedy struck...

P3040003.

And my sandpaper belt broke. This being the only belt I had taken from my parents, I am left with more work to be done another day.

Here is a template I made for the headstock to give you all an idea of the tele-bass shape I am talking about.

P3040006.

13. asad137

asad137

Jan 18, 2007
    Minneapolis
    Physicist
    I think that if you're going to be cutting the headstock to reshape it, you should make it a little smaller (shorter in length). I think it will look a bit odd to have all that extra material out there at the end with no tuner on it.

Asad

14. Delta_Petra

Delta_Petra

Feb 26, 2008
    Portland, OR
    I have thought about that, but I dont know how else I would like to cut it.

15. SDB Guitars

SDB Guitars Commercial User

Jul 2, 2007
    Coeur d'Alene, ID
    Shawn Ball - Owner, SDB Guitars
    Leave it, and put your logo or signature on the exposed end :)

16. Delta_Petra

Delta_Petra

Feb 26, 2008
    Portland, OR
    That was actually another thought I had as well. Paint a design or mount some sort of "special gear" to the end. Wouldn't be too bad of a place for a pick holder, but I don't play with a pick.

17. envika

envika

Nov 27, 2007
    Bronx, NY
    Man I like what you're doing, but is the comic sans font really necessary?

Just Sayin'

18. Delta_Petra

Delta_Petra

Feb 26, 2008
    Portland, OR
    I am just being original. We have all these options to change our text and be creative; I figure I might as well use them.

People can refer to me as the "Orange Comic Sans guy". :cool:

19. Delta_Petra

Delta_Petra

Feb 26, 2008
    Portland, OR
    So it has been awhile since I have posted anything new here. I have been lazy, moved 1200 miles and have no tools; so there is some excuse.

Anyway here are new pics of the headstock after being cut down and hardware attached. It looks a little ugly right now, but with some love and paint it will be okay.

head2.

head.

20. Duplo42

Duplo42

Jan 23, 2007
    But, but... is "Orange Comic Sans guy" now "Green Comic Sans guy"? :confused: jk :p

So what happened to the body?