D Standard Club (DGCF)

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by OOD, Nov 24, 2015.

Tags:
  1. That's the bottom four strings of the light 5-string set tuned UP three semi-tones (BEAD to DGCF)... You like them nice and tight, don't you? ;)

skier 913 likes this.
  2. Will_White

Will_White

Jul 1, 2011
    Salem, OR
    That's actually the same tension as a standard .105 tuned E standard, I used .132 Chromes tuned D standard for a while and it sounded and felt great. That had about the same tension as a set of power slinkies.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2019
    michael_t likes this.
  3. I will be officially joining this prestigious club in the new year, but I don't think I'll be quite as daring as you are. ;):D

Will_White and Matthew_84 like this.
  4. I actually have a .105 Chrome for my D as well and I think it’s great. But, this is on a fretless where I want pretty low tension strings, and Chromes are normally so taut (too much for me, even on a fretted) that it balances out well.

5. It’s a great club. I have my 5 tuned to D-G-C-F-Bb, and I think it’s perfect. Messes up some open string EADG rock riffs, but that’s what a capo is for... On a fretted anyway, lol.

6. Abner

Abner

Jan 2, 2011
    Mississauga
    No reason you can't use a capo on a fretless. Just takes a little more fiddling to get it in the right spot.

I'm really liking the LaBella Original '54s (the "Jamerson set") and the Ernie Ball Group I flats (.110, .090, .075, .055) for D standard.

Matthew_84 likes this.
  7. skier 913

skier 913

Sep 25, 2011
    Going to try some DR pure blues 50.70.90.110 just for fun

8. skier 913

skier 913

Sep 25, 2011
    Actually Im not sure that it is the same tension as E in 105 because these Nickel Lo-Riders have a Hex core that makes em much stiffer than round cores

9. 4StringTheorist

4StringTheorist Supporting Member

I've been super curious about those recently. Report your thoughts! :)

skier 913 likes this.
  10. 4StringTheorist

I've been hemming and hawing and thinking about really going for D standard for years now. Maybe the new year is the perfect time to just dive in and go for it?

11. Will_White

Will_White

Jul 1, 2011
    Salem, OR
    That's based on Diaddario XLs so they're both hex core. The Lo Riders might be stiffer, but the tension should be about the same.

12. New year's resolution for 2020 for you (and for me) = No hemming, no hawing; just do it! :D

4StringTheorist likes this.
  13. MirandM

MirandM Married to my bass. Supporting Member

Oct 29, 2019
    Spain
    Hi you all, glad to join the club.
    I have some 16 basses, all 4 strings are D standard since I started playing back in 1983, just by pure coincidence. At the time I didn't have any clue as to the normal standard bass tuning, so I just picked a lowest note which I liked and that happened to be D, never changed it since.

Rotosound has them, I've seen them on stringsdirect in the uk, look for JBL flatwound jazz bass single strings.
    'dAddario also has most of them in the Chroms XL flatwound series although I didn't find the 125.

RoadRanger and 4StringTheorist like this.
  14. You just quoted my post from Nov 2015!

My plan for the new year is to try the GHS Pressurewound M7200 (44-62-84-106) for DGCF and L7200 (40-54-76-96) for EADG.

Here's how tension figures work out...

Pressurewound L7200:

G 040 - 37.2 lbs.
    D 054 - 36.5
    A 076 - 39.3
    E 096 - 34.2 (Total 147.2)

Pressurewound M7200:

F 044 - 34.4 lbs.
    C 062 - 38.6
    G 084 - 37.4
    D 106 - 38.1 (Total 148.5)​

MirandM likes this.
  15. 4StringTheorist

Hmmm... Either gonna need to get a nut file or pay for a tech to fix up the nuts on a few basses....

16. I specifically chose the PW M7200 (see above post) for my first trial run with DGCF so I won't have to make any modifications to the bass itself. I like the idea the PWs are higher than average (compared to other rounds) both in tension and stiffness, making them suitable for down-tuning. (So I'm hoping...)

4StringTheorist likes this.
  17. 4StringTheorist

Oo. Might be perfect for my fretless 4.

I think I can keep enough tension on my P-bass if I look around the Strings forum and see which flats are regarded as pretty high tension. My 5 shouldn't be too big of a problem since the new strings will be smaller and its got a zero fret.

18. LateBoomer

LateBoomer

Apr 21, 2019
    Hi everyone!
    I too prefer D standard tuning. For 2 years I played a short scale Jaguar tuned EADG. For one gig I needed to bring two basses because we changed the key of one of the songs and the drop tuning my Dimendion bass made more sense. Recently I began playing my Dimension bass again. I like tuning to D standard because now every bass plays like a short scale since the notes are moved further up on the neck.

19. I strung my Ibanez GSR 206 6 string bass with the LaBella Flatwound Fender Bass VI set. Tuned D G C F A D

.95 .75 .56 .44 .35 .26

The top 3 have decent tension. The bottom 3 are light tension. I had to add washers on the ball ends.

Here it is played with the Boss RC 3 Loop Station through a Fender amp.

20. MirandM

MirandM Married to my bass. Supporting Member

Oct 29, 2019
    Spain
    .95 for the D, very light indeed. I prefer .105 to .110 and even have some bass with .120 or there about.
    On my 6 strings the lowest is at A with .130 gauge

ChuckCorbis likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 17, 2021