1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

D-tar pickup for Bass

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by GRoast, Oct 11, 2009.

1. GRoast

GRoast Supporting Member

May 2, 2004
    San Jose, CA
    Has anyone ever tried or had any experience with the D-tar pickups for Double bass? They look a lot like the K & K ones. Is there any info anyone could share?

2. hdiddy

hdiddy Official Forum Flunkee Supporting Member

Mar 16, 2004
    Richmond, CA
    Aha... I couldn't figure it out until now....

I saw Stanley Clarke w/ Hiromi & Lenny White this past weekend - great show. Look at look at Stanley's bass and I see these pickups I didn't recognize: small thing gauge black wires coming out of both bridge wings. Seeing the photo, I realize it's one of these. Must be new, I haven't heard of it.

http://www.d-tar.com/soundspots.shtml

Looking at them, they look alot like a BP-100 but without the clips.

3. davidprice

davidprice

Jan 1, 2005
    Saw Stanley with Lenny White and Chick Corea last month at the Monterey Jazz Fest - awesome show and the bass tone (and intonation) were incredible.

4. hdiddy

Mar 16, 2004
    Richmond, CA
    I dunno, I wasn't into his tone that much. It was so-so... not that well defined, but I'm sure his bass prob sounds great acoustically. His setup is so goddamn light, the strings will prob sound if you even breathe on it. Not once I did see him pull all that hard on his strings. I don't think he could do that flamenco strumming if it was anything like your average setup. I could be wrong tho.

Indeed, he has some great intonation tho. His TP arco skills are pretty good to say the least.

5. davidprice

davidprice

Jan 1, 2005
    Maybe the room/PA? I don't know. Tone is subjective but his sound seemed pretty dialed in in Monterey and was certainly defined (from where I was at least) - hence being able to tell re: intonation... Yes, must be a pretty light setup.

6. Bob G. (or was it his son Mark?) told me they're made by K&K for D-Tar.

7. hdiddy

Mar 16, 2004
    Richmond, CA
    Nah, it can't be the room. The show was at Yoshi's SF and their sound is usually very very good.

8. davidprice

davidprice

Jan 1, 2005
    Very true.

9. GRoast

GRoast Supporting Member

May 2, 2004
    San Jose, CA
    Bob G. (or was it his son Mark?) told me they're made by K&K for D-Tar.

Well, That explains it. I wonder if there is any difference at all? At any rate, I'm looking for a pickup for a new bass. The Full Circle seems to have a lot of favor with TBr's, so I'm considering that. anyone have any other suggestions?

I have a Turner UBP on my old bass (where he cuts the bridge under the string at an angle and inserts piezos - kind of like Wilsons, but he doesn't do them anymore. I think Ed freidland has one too. That is a GREAT pickup. I was going to maybe try to cut it mayself and re-use those piezos?

I'm sure there are a lot of choices though so if you have any exceptional experiences, let me know. Thanks, Andy

10. thejumpcat

thejumpcat thejumpcat

Sep 30, 2007
    metro-Detroit

Actually, you can still get the Turner p/u. I just emailed him in late December and got this response:

Hi Cal,
    Thanks for checking. In fact, we do make make our UB-1 pick up by designing it as a custom fit to your bridge. Similar to Larry's. (Taylor) The cost, installed, is $275. plus shipping of about $5.
    Let me know if you're interested in sending it in. Use our address on the site and to my attention.

Stay in Tune,
    Barry Pearlman
    General Manager
    info.rtguitars@gmail.com