D-tar solstice or Raven labs blender?

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by B String, Jan 30, 2006.

1. bolo

bolo

May 29, 2005
    Apex, NC
    Adrian, can I please ask in what way(s) do you prefer the sound of the L.R. Baggs Mixpro over the Solstice?

You may recall I've tried running my Rev SOLO pickup into a Gigpro. But to my ears it scooped the mids (I think). The resulting tone was too thick for my taste (which is wierd 'cuz I like my tone nice and warm and velvety). It just seemed to lack presence and definition in the mids to my ears, with my bass & gear, et al. I remember thinking "This Gigpro would be a great preamp for warming up a jingly jangly acoustic guitar sound, but not for my DB."

I know however that you and flatback think highly of the Gigpro, and I definitely respect your opinions and expertise. Perhaps it works great with your Vektors and not so great with my Rev SOLO. I dunno.

2. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    A high-pass filter would not be hard to add as a mod. It is a resistor and capacitor, and could even be buried in one end of a 1/4" patch cord.

3. Ike Harris

Ike Harris

May 16, 2001
    Nashville TN
    My experience reflects JonB's here. I had the PMB-1 and it was fine or at least a good step better than the Fishman. The Solstice is better IMO than the Raven due to being a truer upright sound and I like the fact that both channels are set up the same and work equally well on upright and electric. I like having the xlr's even though I haven't really gotten to use them yet. Haven't had much need for adjusting EQ either way and I like having the clipping LED. It's also a more roadworthy unit to me.

Ike

4. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    I've often wondered about the makeup of a HP filter, and what makes one better than another; mostly, I've just been curious to find out how small a decent HP filter with a variable frequency setting could be made, and whether it would need to be powered or not. Seems to me that a really small HP filter with 1/4" ins and outs could be a very useful item to keep in the bow pocket of my gigbag...especially since I never seem to have a bow in there anyway.

5. Adrian Cho

Adrian Cho Supporting Member

Sep 17, 2001
    Ottawa, Canada
    To be honest, I found the sound of the Solstice a bit devoid of life. I found the sound a little boxy and hollow at times. I agree that the MixPro probably does lack some definition and presence in the mids but it worked fine for the kind of gut-like sound I aim for. The Solstice definitely worked a lot better as a mic preamp than the MixPro. I used the MixPro with the Pub. Now with the Focus 2 I have the onboard mic preamp for a mic.

The Solstice was PITA to carry and forget about carrying the Equinox as well.

6. Uncletoad

Uncletoad

May 6, 2003
    Columbus Ohio
    Proprietor Fifth Avenue Fret Shop. Technical Editor Bass Gear Magazine
    I've never met a passive high pass filter I thought sounded right. Active stuff takes up more space but to me sounds more transparent. Obviously a much bigger PITA factor.

FWIW I really like the tone of the PMB-II.

7. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    That makes sense. Still, if only a 9v battery is required, I can't help but wonder if an adjusable HP the size of a small wallet would be possible?

I do too...I just find it colored. It's a pleasing color, but still a bit more "solid" sounding than I sometimes want. For a lot of gigs, though, it's just the ticket.

8. bolo

bolo

May 29, 2005
    Apex, NC
    brooklynbassguy, it seems like you have checked out quite a few of the available options! Thank you for the comparison and the summary.

9. bolo

bolo

May 29, 2005
    Apex, NC
    B String, FWIW I do perform some EQ w/ the Solstice, but not in the traditional manner.

If I turn the "Volume" knob on the Solstice past 3:00 and push the input section harder, it thickens up the sound to my ears. It does not operate strictly like a bass EQ knob, but it is similar to me. The tone of my bass and pickup gets quite thick and blurry if I crank this knob much past 4:00 or so.

However, the "Master" control knob on the Solstice has a different effect. To my ears, and with my setup, turning this knob past 12:00 seems to generate more of an electric tone. I tend to rely on this in rooms that are full of crowd noise for example, to help me cut through more.

These effects are subtle I suppose, but they seem to operate in a range that works for me when I’m trying to fine tune or “EQ” my sound in different rooms.

That and the way I move my cabinet all around per my previous post, for the proper Feng Shui.

10. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 28, 2021