1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

D'Addario Chromes, Med or Lights?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by BassBeginer64, Aug 9, 2018.

1. Newbie here, going over my used P bass, strings were worthless, and been going nuts on You Tube and decided to with D'Addario Chromes Flat Wound, either lights or meds love to hear your thoughts.

Thank you .
    Frank

Albert Henri likes this.
  2. Custom Lights ECB84 40-60-80-100.

I personally find the regular lights (ECB81, 45-65-80-100) very uneven in tension with G and D being a little too tense.

piggywiddle, kreider204 and InnerBass like this.
  3. That is why I was thinking of the Med Gauges 50-70-85-105.
    Been watching and listening to many vids on this , like these

4. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I have no desire to torture myself with strings. The lighter, the better. When I was using Chromes I made up my own sets out of singles using 40, 55, 75 and 95 gauges because this gave me light strings with the most even tension. I always disliked the D string in prepackaged D'addario string sets because they were too tense compared to the others.

5. Aidil

Aidil

Dec 4, 2014
    Jkt, IDN
    Yeah... OP, have you ever tried the Chromes ECB82 Medium Gauge 50-70-85-105?

I used to play Chromes ECB81 Regular Light Gauge 45-65-80-100 on a couple 6 string basses (with 132 low-B and 32 high-C) and later on a couple of 5 string basses. These were very stiff. I could imagine the Medium Gauge would be very torturing, at least for me, to play.

These days I prefer customize set of Chromes, same as JimmyM, 40-55-75-95 (and add 132 for low-B).

michael_t likes this.
  6. BLDavis

BLDavis Old enough to know better.....too young to care! Supporting Member

May 21, 2009
    Ellenboro, NC
    I switched from ECB81 to 84 for the slightly lower tension and more even feel. I can't tell any difference in tone. The D still feels a bit stiffer than the rest but that's the case with most sets I've tried over the years. I notice it when warming up or practicing at home but, in the heat of battle, it's never been an issue.
    B.

michael_t likes this.
  7. I use the mediums. Still not as stiff as most other flats. My go-to strings.

ruju, bassbully and Aqualung60 like this.
  8. Obviously you haven't tried a lot of the "other flats"... ;)

Chrisk-K, SasquatchDude and Sithian like this.
  9. To the OP...

In terms of overall tension and stiffness, the ECB84 set I mentioned earlier (40-60-80-100) would feel more like the D'A EXL165 Nickel Rounds (45-65-85-105), if that helps.

10. brett adams

brett adams Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2015
    PORTLAND, OREGON
    i play mediums. when i made the switch from roundwounds to flatwounds, i also set the bass up with less relief and lower action to compensate for the extra stiffness.

11. bass40hz

bass40hz Cigar smoker, scotch drinker, American Patriot Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2014
    Sussex County, NJ
    no endorsements but would love a few ;-)
    FWIW I play 50-105 or 50-110 on all my basses except my Stingray. Rounds or flats. I do have a very heavy right hand and I do prefer the stiffer strings, not really into bending where a lighter more flexible string would help me, I find I can get faster with stiffer strings. To each his own. Good luck in your search, make it fun.
    Rock on.

funkinbottom likes this.
  12. I have been using the ECB-81 strings for over 3 years and have been very happy with them on my 4, 5 and 8 string bass.:D

13. Well you've piqued my interest. Educate me on 50-70-85-105 ish flats. I've played chromes so long maybe I'm just blinded. I remember some GHS flats that were in that size range, sounded too 'dead' and stiff as all get out. La Bella deep talkin IIRC also pretty darn stiff. Others escape me.

14. First, please keep in mind you're talking to a 61-yr-old who's had four trigger release surgeries (two on right hand and two on left) in the last two years. That's why I'm rather fussy about how a set of string feel under the fingers both for fretting and plucking.

Flatwound sets with manageable tension/stiffness:
    • D'A Chromes ECB84, 40-60-80-100.
    • Fender 9050L/CL, 45-60-80-100 (105).
    • La Bella 760FL, 43-60-82-104.
    • GHS Precision Flats 3025, 45-60-75-95.
    • Sadowsky Black Label Flats Light, 40-60-80-100.
    Flatwound sets I find a little too stiff:
    • D'A ECB81, 45-65-80-100 = 45G and 65G a little too tense.
    • D'A ECB82, 50-70-85-105 = Based on ECB81, I wouldn't even dare try these.
    Just my own personal experience...

dralionux likes this.
  15. I play the mediums. I have no trouble with them, but I play double bass as well so YMMV.

ruju likes this.
  16. Chrome super light gauge ECB80XL were always spot on for me.
    40-60-75-95
    Green ring on label.

I tried the higher gauges and they were too stiff. These are the lightest flats I could find that were still a little stiff without getting into TI flop territory. I do like TI’s for certain things too though.

These are by far the best flats I’ve owned for 4 string and they siiiiiiiing. The tone and feel are great!

17. Bodeeni

Bodeeni Supporting Member

Jan 13, 2010
    NYC
    I agree, I use this set on several basses and they have a very nice even tension, similar to a medium round set.

SuperTwin and kreider204 like this.
  18. ThudThudThud

ThudThudThud

Jun 4, 2010
    I love Mediums on a Precision, but I do play with a pick a lot. Fingerstyle they'll give your hand a bit of a workout. I have big, strong hands (oo-er!) so it's okay for me. It's better to turn up a little and play lighter.

ruju likes this.
  19. nilorius

nilorius

Oct 27, 2016
    Latvia
    Chromes

20. Well. . . Appears we agree lighter gauge flats have less tension than medium gauge. :banghead:When I said that medium chromes are less stiff, I meant in comparison to other sets of flats of the same-ish gauge. :thumbsup: