Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Daddario Prelude

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by Tango, Feb 18, 2006.

1. Tango

Tango

Feb 14, 2006
    Have someone tried the Daddario J610 "Prelude"?
    Are they good for bowing?

2. Hmm - Daddario's site has:

http://www.daddariobowed.com/BOWNewsDet.aspx?CodaID=6288

at which they seem to indicate they had arco in mind but this satement beggars belief:

"There are clearly a lack of bass strings on the market that really work well for students, and we set out to remedy that," says D'Addario Bowed Strings Manager David Luce.

As oposed to all the other strings available? Or are they trying to say these are their bargain basement strings? Since when have students needed a product that wasn't up to the stadard of the rest? Or do they have special qualities that makes learning easier? - he doesn't say.

3. Tomasito

Tomasito

Feb 7, 2005
    Might these strings are aimed at smaller basses and bassists?

The link yields this:

'Prelude bass strings are available in 3/4, 1/2, 1/4, and 1/8 scale lengths'

So seemingly they're designed for ickle basses,

and this:

'Each fractional set has been specifically designed, from the ground up, for that smaller scale, keeping the string tension appropriate for that smaller size. Plus, the Prelude strings are more pliable than solid core bass strings due to their special core, making them much easier for young hands to play.'

I'd been wondering what strings were used on those tiny basses that you see 5 and 6 year olds playing (Yorke mini basses?) perhaps this is the market the Preludes are aimed at.

By the time we get to 1/2 and 3/4 size basses I'm right with you though, Mike. I wonder how a 'student' string differs from a regular low tension string on a 'grown up' instrument, and how long they should really stay on a bass before the player graduates to a more standard string. At least in the 1/2 and 3/4 lengths, I suspect we'll mainly see these strings on the kind of basses that have coloured stickers on the fingerboards.:bag: (This is my first time being cynical on the forum :) )

4. Tomasito

Tomasito

Feb 7, 2005
    What I mean to say is: perhaps this is money for old ropecore :D

5. arnoldschnitzer

arnoldschnitzer AES Fine Instruments

Feb 16, 2002
    Brewster, NY, USA
    I've tried the Preludes and I think D'Addario has a winner. Low tension, decent tone both arco and pizz, and a low price. I do believe they have a good product for student use or newbies who need to firm up their hands and callouses before delving into heavier strings.

6. Given thier physical characteristics - steel ropecores - how do you think they compare to superflexibles which I use at the mo? I might be tempted.

7. arnoldschnitzer

arnoldschnitzer AES Fine Instruments

Feb 16, 2002
    Brewster, NY, USA
    Lighter and not as bright.