Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

DADG?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Worshiper, Oct 15, 2005.

1. Worshiper

Worshiper

Aug 13, 2004
    New York
    Why do people tune this way. I understand that it is drop "d" tunning, but why do bass players feel they need to tune this way?

2. Worshiper

Worshiper

Aug 13, 2004
    New York
    hey...what do ya know.. the search function works...sorry. :rolleyes:

3. NicJimBass

NicJimBass Is this thing on!? Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Lancaster, OH
    Endorsing Artist: DR Strings, Source Audio, Hipshot
    I myself have alway wondered why anyone would detune just one string. I understand that guitarists do it so they can barre a chord with one finger, but bass players doing it seems silly. Either tune them all down or don't detune at all!

PS- I like my 5's tuned ADGCF

4. Unchain

Unchain I've seen footage.

Jun 20, 2005
    Tucson, AZ
    I tune down so that I gain that low D and Db. I like it.

5. Worshiper

Worshiper

Aug 13, 2004
    New York
    I read the links but that's not the answer I'm looking for. I am really curious as to why it's so hard for some bass players to move their fingers two frets down to hit a note on the low string.

6. Unchain

Unchain I've seen footage.

Jun 20, 2005
    Tucson, AZ
    You can't hit a D or Db without tuning down.

7. The lowest you can get on a 4 string with "normal" tuning is an E.

To get lower than that, you either have to tune it down or get a 5 string with a low B.

8. Spector_Ray

Spector_Ray

Aug 8, 2004
    Texas
    The reason I tune that way is because I want the low D without buying a 5 string because I can't get used to the B string. I don't play many drop tuned songs and it takes less time to tune one string back up to E.

9. I tune down mainly because I feel most creative in DADG. In standard EADG tuning, riffs I come up with come out boring.

I absolutely love the sound of a low D played open and I especially love it when you play it really hard. I like how its easier to play some chords and the way playing notes high up on on the AD and G strings and then hitting the low do to give it a really erie sound.

I also use a XP-100 whammy, And the whail given when you nail the low with distortion on and you do a slide in the oct up position. I also using the whammy + distortion to and doing slides with the chords

G--7
    D--7-
    A--5-
    D--0-

AND

G--7
    D--0
    A--5
    D--0

It also makes playing a little easier and some chords more accessible. But I mostly do it because I feel most creative in this tuning then any other tuning ive tried (Standard, CGCF, DGCF, BADG, BEDG, EADA, DADA, BEAD, CGDA, DAEB and Eb tuning).

Questions like these will bring out different opinions and most likely alot of them saying its pointless to play in drop d. But its not pointless, Its a matter of opinion and personal preference. I think its a very useful tuning as other will think its pointless (although I HIGHLY disagree) and will say get a 5 string for your low notes.

Again, for me its about how its sounds, how it makes playing a bit easier (not much) and how it helps me write more interesting lines.

And is you want to hear some good drop D basslines check out anything by TOOL, 90% of their songs are in drop D, the bassists name is Justin Chancellor.

P.S.

This should be in miscellaneous. :eyebrow:

10. lyle

lyle Guest

Jan 10, 2004
    Vernon, B.C. Canada
    why have a low B or for matter of fact a low E. I just allows you to play low notes in the key you want.

11. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    To get a pile drivingly heavy "D"?

12. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    To each their own with alternate tunings.

I used to tune my five string DEADG.

Main reason was to make up for my poor technique.

13. Limo

Limo

Sep 22, 2002
    Reykjavik Iceland
    I tune my 5 string ADADG and I detune my E string simply because I'm in a rock band and the riffs were written on a guitar and some parts would be too far to reach for my left hand if I didn't detune. The A detune is because I think it makes more sense to have my B in A because I detune my E to D, also I like the sound of the Bb and A.

14. I have a four string i tune DGCF the open D gives a differnt sound then the fretted low D of the B string on a 5, I don't think tunning DADG is pointless at all, I prefer to stay in fourths, and I like having the options of the open G C and F that i normally woulndtn have, but i willl down tune that bass to CGCF, which is just like droped D a extra step down, you still get the 5th 4th 4th thing goin on, I want to get a hipshot detuner someday for taht bass, that would be sweet :-D

15. weeding

weeding

May 17, 2005
    a) Because a lot of piano music uses a D below E and I don't want to get a five string tuned with a low B just to play along to some piano stuff

b) It makes octaves a lot of fun

16. Redhotbassist

Redhotbassist

Oct 19, 2002
    England
    I like the lower sound, its got a nice Growl on that open D! and my band play most of our songs in drop D.

:)

17. resol

resol Guest

Feb 21, 2005
    definitely something alluring about an open low D!

18. ducaticarl

ducaticarl

Oct 16, 2005
    I think the reason is to kind of get the effect of a 5 string with the low D or just easier than installing a hipshot?

19. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    Obviously, so you can hit 2 lower notes.

Also, it's great for D minor, ala Tool, so you can get some eerie sounds.