1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

DAE: Use a quarter instead of a pick?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by TypicalBassist, Aug 7, 2012.

1. TypicalBassist

TypicalBassist

Aug 7, 2012
    Does anyone else play the bass with a quarter? I mean, I use finger style, but Ive been getting used to picking. I don't actually have any picks, so I've litterally been playing with a quarter whenever I decide to pick. My bandmates think it's weird (Cept the guitarist). Our guitarist tried the same thing, but I guess it doesn't work out too well on the guitar..

2. dbd1963

dbd1963

May 18, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    You can buy metal picks, but I don't think they are as thick as a quarter. I wouldn't think the strings like that too well, because even the metal picks will wear strings out over time.

Picks are very cheap so get some. I bought as many different types as I could to find what I liked best. The copper pick was pretty cool sounding, btw.

3. FunkyMcNasty

FunkyMcNasty Supporting Member

Dec 4, 2010
    CO
    No

4. TypicalBassist

TypicalBassist

Aug 7, 2012
    Copper picks? Those sound killer. Id love to give them a try. ^^ Maybe I should actually get some REAL picks instead of using this quarter. Thanks for the top tip!

5. derrico1

derrico1 Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2005
    Charlottesville, VA
    I've experimented with various coins, but didn't care for the tone. When going for a pick tone, I usually want it somewhat aggressive. A quarter didn't give enough initial snap to the tone--at least in my hands.

edit: I've also used the copper picks--okay on guitar, but didn't like them for bass.

6. dbd1963

dbd1963

May 18, 2010
    Northern Virginia
  7. TypicalBassist

TypicalBassist

Aug 7, 2012
    Id have to say the quarter isnt exactly my cup of tea. I like it when the strings give a thump sound. I sounds great in my opinion. Any picks that give out that sound?

8. TypicalBassist

TypicalBassist

Aug 7, 2012
    The master control pick looks wicked. I should go and buy one. Thanks!

9. dbd1963

dbd1963

May 18, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    A metal pick will always add some twang. For full out thump, you want a rubberized pick, which sounds much more like your fingers.

I liked the medium Wedgie http://www.amazon.com/Wedgie-WRPP31...1344375487&sr=1-3&keywords=rubber+pick+guitar

In between are all the other picks. Tortoise shell picks, at least the heavy ones, are on the bright side of the middle bunch, while the nylons have less attack and make a somewhat darker, thumpier sound.

Just stay away from wimpy guitar player picks because they won't last very long and they don't give you the attack you really want from a pick.

10. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Supporting Member

Brian May has played with a coin for all his career.

11. Hamlet7768

Hamlet7768 Here to chew gum and rock. Still have gum.

Jun 5, 2011
    The issue I've had with coins (which I've used on both a classical and a bass guitar) is that the lip on the edge of the coin scrapes the string in a REALLY annoying way. Not in a way like you can get with a pick turned diagonally, just a rubbishy sound.

12. dbd1963

dbd1963

May 18, 2010
    Northern Virginia
  13. Heard a rumor that Billy Gibbons used to use a Peso.....

14. TypicalBassist

TypicalBassist

Aug 7, 2012
    xD I can get some pesos from my dad.

15. Jeff Bonny

Jeff Bonny Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    Vancouver, BC
    Good luck finding copper picks these days. I gave them a real serious try over several years before discovering Blue Chips. The last ones I bought were Hotlicks .09's directly from Jim Dunlop. They've been discontinued but they're also what Steve Swallow uses and it wouldn't surprise me if they were doing the occasional batch for him. May be worth a call if you really want one.

As for playing with a quarter I've tried it but unless you spend a bunch of time filling one smooth the surface is way too uneven and grabby for me. Any super stiff metal pick is pretty harsh sounding to me. The attraction of the copper ones was that they're flexible and less "clangy" sounding to my ear.

16. TypicalBassist

TypicalBassist

Aug 7, 2012
  17. TypicalBassist

TypicalBassist

Aug 7, 2012
    Hmmmm. Thats definitely something to look for. Ive got plenty of looking around to do, so I guess Ill keep an eye open for them.

18. Jeff Bonny

Jeff Bonny Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    Vancouver, BC
    Duh...I guess I could have read the whole thread first. Those Ice Pix copper ones might be pretty similar to the Dunlops.

19. TypicalBassist

TypicalBassist

Aug 7, 2012
    Really? Ive been hunting for the Blue Chips. And yeah, the Ice Pix are pretty solid, right? Im taking a look at that master control pick. :p

20. Eric1668

Eric1668

Jul 24, 2012
    Yep!