1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

damn i need a backup bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Rilander, May 4, 2010.

1. Rilander

Rilander

Apr 13, 2010
    Tampa Florida
    i just recently got an MIA fender P bass and when i did i sold my ibanez bass because i didnt think i would need it. i just took the fender in to get a pro setup and they said it would be at least 10 days. i was thinking about getting one of those SX basses for a beater back up bass for when my main is in the shop. sorry just thought i would share :bassist:

2. zachbass02

zachbass02 One Hairy....squatch.

Jan 3, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    10 days?!?!?! where the heck did you take it? that seems like a really really long time for just a basic setup. Are they refretting it or something major while it's there?

SX are great btw. For the money they make great backup basses. Heck they're even good working basses too. I have a buddy here in town that makes a portion of his living with an SX P bass. The other portion of his living is made with a Squier Deluxe Jazz V. The dude rocks the cheap basses and makes a decent living at music full time.

3. Get your bass and bring it somewhere else. 10 days is way to long for that.

4. I had a 'set up' that took two whole weeks once... :mad:

Get an SX. You will love it.

5. FunkMetalBass

FunkMetalBass

Aug 5, 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona 85029
    Endorsing Artist: J.C. Basses
    A good tech is usually backed up about two weeks. A good setup takes a few days to allow the wood to fully adjust to truss rod tweaks. Couple that with the fact that he's probably got quite a few basses in front of yours, and two weeks is pretty common for a bass' first setup.

My two favorite local guys have taken about two weeks apiece with each of my basses for the first time. However, once the nut slot is filed correctly and the shim is in place (if needed), further setups are much quicker as they are 20 minute jobs.

6. stflbn

stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Nashville
    Just keep in mind... any SX you get WILL also need a setup or more to play best.

7. PSPookie

PSPookie

Aug 13, 2006
    Ocoee, TN
    Yet another good reason to learn to do your own setups ;)

8. Craig_S

Craig_S Banned

Oct 15, 2008
    Metro Detroit
    A reputable, busy shop maybe? I've seen the better shops around here backed up as far as that and more.

9. atheos

atheos

Sep 28, 2008
    Tampere, Finland
    Yes you need a backup bass. And another. And maybe one to keep in different tune. And backup for that. A few just for the looks. And so on.

10. refbassist

refbassist

Mar 3, 2007
    you need to learn how to set up your bass by yourself also a backup bass comes handy specially if something went wrong during a gig.

11. All the reason to have lots & lots of basses :hyper:

12. MNAirHead

MNAirHead Supporting Member

I distrust anyone who says they can do it in less than 3 or 4 days.

13. I would never take my bass to a place that takes 10 frickn days to do a setup. I take to place that does it while I wait. Geesh!!:rollno::rolleyes:

14. Rilander

Rilander

Apr 13, 2010
    Tampa Florida

15. johnboy65

johnboy65

May 22, 2009
    just a suggestion, next time just make an appointment then take it a day or two before the appointment day.
    I agree that the good guys are always backed up.

16. Rilander

Rilander

Apr 13, 2010
    Tampa Florida
    yeah everyone knows the guy does an amazing job. he usually calls and says it's ready in a week but they always say 10-14 days. i miss my new bass~! but it's so worth it.

17. zachbass02

zachbass02 One Hairy....squatch.

Jan 3, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    Well there you go. If you like his work and feel it's worth the wait, then cool. I guess I've never had a shop take that long to get one of my basses done. Most places I've been to around here typically have my stuff done within 4 days at most. Corner music often gets me turned around within 1-2 days. The last time I had my bass set up at The Lowend, it only took 3-4 days, IIRC. But Ive heard that Joe Glazer has a pretty long wait, sometimes pushing 2 weeks at times.

18. spaz21387

spaz21387

Feb 25, 2008
    Portland oregon
    i can do a set up on my bass in like 15 minutes to a half hour. learn to do it your self its better and you dont have to wait so long

19. Rilander

Rilander

Apr 13, 2010
    Tampa Florida
    yeah that would be cool but i really woulnt mind the wait if i had a playable back up. this guy really does a great job. i'm not really confident that i could set one up PROPERLY.

20. rob4001va

rob4001va

Apr 1, 2007
    Northern VA
    +1