1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Danelectro Longhorn: Versatile Enough For a Cover Band Gig?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JohnMalay, Dec 13, 2018.

1. JohnMalay

JohnMalay

Oct 23, 2018
    New Jersey
    A bandmate just bought a Dano 6-string and has his eye on the 12-string as well. He's hinting I should follow suit and I admit to jonesing for a Dano.

I've seen the Longhorn in a number of bands and I know Jack Bruce used one for a short while, but does it have a specific sound or can it be used on a job with a variety of music?

We cover a lot of 60s and 70s stuff, mostly rock and pop, no really hard stuff. My J-bass and Ibanez SR can do it all (both are active EQ) but my Hofner, while it sounds great on the Beatles and other Brit Invasion stuff, lacks punch on some of the other material. (Even through my MXR EQ pedal.)

Has anyone played live gigs with a Longhorn? How does it sit in the mix? Can it cover the bases (ahem)?

AlexanderB likes this.
  2. fermata

fermata

Nov 10, 2015
    I know someone who tours iwith an alt-country band, and her Longhorn (strung with Chromes) brings depth and punch and sounds excellent in the mix (drums, keys, acoustic rhythm, electric lead). I'd guess it would sound good with your material, too.

instrumentalist likes this.
  3. 2saddleslab

2saddleslab Supporting Member

May 30, 2003
    Kentucky
    Used an original Longhorn and Jerry Jones Longhorn. Both did amazing in live situations. You''ll be pleasantly surprised how well it works on all kinds of music. Cutting thru the mix will not be an issue. Everyone needs to enjoy a Longhorn at least once in their career.

dannylectro and AlexanderB like this.
  4. I had one a few years back that I really liked. It can be used for many styles, or least those that require a bright and clear sound. A few years ago a young person who wanted to learn how to play bass needed one so it became hers. She is quite a good bassist now. She strings it out with a light set of GHS Precision Flats and it is cool with the country bands she plays with.

AlexanderB likes this.
  5. I've gigged mine in bands with similar music styles and genres as yours. I wouldn't recommend it if you slap and pop or need modern aggressive tones. If your Hofner wasn't aggressive enough for you, you might have the same problem with a Longhorn, but I think it's easier to get a good growl from the Longhorn. But for everything else, you're good to go. Playing rounds (the factory rounds will probably do for awhile) helps. No issues if it has been tightened up and set up nice and solid. It might feel a bit light and cheap compared to what you currently play (and has always been associated with a budget instrument), but at full rock band volumes it does a great job. And the aesthetic is way cool. Garry Tallent (Springsteen) and that dude in Golden Earring played one (but I think his was a bit modded) on a few hits.

I say go for it, but the only way to know for sure is to audition one and crank it with the band. That's what return policies are for.

dannylectro and AlexanderB like this.
  6. Barton Lee

Barton Lee

Nov 1, 2018
    I played a Jerry Jones longhorn for eight years, mostly with a band covering mostly 60s and 70s material, and some more modern rock as well. Those lipstick pickups are brilliant (at least the JJ version) and cut through just fine. It was an awesome bass to record with as well, very warm and full. I used flats on mine. Bought it new for $650, played it a ton and recently sold it for a lot more than that.

I've only played a modern vintage Danelectro once and it sounded/played similar. They're not quite as nice as the Jerry Jones models but they're also a lot less expensive.

AlexanderB likes this.
  7. JohnMalay

JohnMalay

Oct 23, 2018
    New Jersey
    Thanks all. I should have mentioned all my basses have either flats or tapes. Back in the day I used roundwounds but I grew to dislike the added harmonics. I don't slap or pop and I only use a pick on the Hofner.

Now to see how much money I'll have left after Christmas...

jd56hawk and AlexanderB like this.
  8. Vinnie Boombatz

Vinnie Boombatz

May 26, 2010
    Any playable that works when you plug it in will be sufficient. Play what you like. Don't fall to peer pressure what's currently considered cool.

fermata and SpazzTheBassist like this.
  9. JohnMalay

JohnMalay

Oct 23, 2018
    New Jersey
    Of course. FYI my favorite gig guitar is my cheapest: a Gretsch Junior Jet I bought B-stock for under $200. I put tapes on it and I can get the Hofner sound plus a punchier sound for the rest of the songs. Sure, I had to re-solder a loose jack and I took the tone control out of the circuit (which I always do) but it's a winner and light enough to play all night.

Vinnie Boombatz likes this.
  10. SpazzTheBassist

SpazzTheBassist

Jun 20, 2006
    should be fine

AlexanderB likes this.
  11. msb

msb

Jul 3, 2002
    Halifax,N,S. Canada
    My Longhorn became my go to bass . Weighs next to nothing , is a lot of fun to play and sounds great . Made me re-think what made a bass good . I love the cheap little thing .

Groove Doctor and AlexanderB like this.
  12. Mark76

Mark76

Dec 1, 2015
    Leicester
    What are the chances that this is the same woman?

instrumentalist likes this.
  13. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    Yes. For example, Garry Tallent used one for years with Springsteen.

I've gigged with Longhorns (original, RI, and JJ) but I prefer my Sears Silvertone Model 1444 (by Danelectro) for ergonomic reasons.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2018
  14. fermata

fermata

Nov 10, 2015
    Unlikely. The woman I'm thinking of is an upright bassist, singer, and swing guitarist who doubles on electric.

15. AlexanderB

AlexanderB

Feb 25, 2007
    Sweden
    I play similar style music with my MIK Danelectro Longhorn Pro with nickel rounds. Sits great in the mix and responds well to different playing styles, except slapping.
    With tone all the way off, it gives a vibe of upright bass.

16. Now that would be wild....

17. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

Sep 7, 2006
    Blimp City USA
    I played a Dano longhorn for a couple years in a Americana band. I will be the opposite of others here and say the tone is limited to folk, country etc. It’s not my tone for any other type of music even light rock but that’s me. They are cool basses but for me have their limits tone wise.

18. JohnMalay

JohnMalay

Oct 23, 2018
    New Jersey
    The lead guitarist in my band showed up at rehearsal yesterday with a new reissue Danelectro guitar. Sounded good and the construction was very nice.

19. AlexanderB

AlexanderB

Feb 25, 2007
    Sweden
    Flats or rounds? I would say they REALLY need rounds to reach their full potential. But that is just me!

electracoyote likes this.
  20. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

Sep 7, 2006
    Blimp City USA
    You know...good point. I used flats. So I guess my opinion could change with a Dano and rounds.

AlexanderB likes this.