Darkglass VS Sansamp with clips. Preferences?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Zach Szy, Jan 18, 2023.

Which do you prefer in these clips?

Poll closed Jan 25, 2023.
  1. Darkglass

30 vote(s)
    43.5%
  2. Sansamp

39 vote(s)
    56.5%
  1. Zach Szy

Zach Szy

Jan 8, 2023
    Edgewater
    Thought I'd upload a comparison since I loved stuff like this when I was looking for gear a while ago.

Same Riffs, Once through the Sansamp BDDI V1 and once through a Darkglass Vintage Ultra V1
    Warwick FNA Jazzman, and all the sound clips are with some amount of the clean (compressed) DI blended in. No processing on the pedal signal.

Included 2 clips of each. One in the context of a quick demo track, and the other with the guitars muted.

Preferences? Thoughts, questions comments?

Attached Files:

2. Bret Music

Bret Music

Jun 29, 2020
    Ohio USA
    Both sound killer to me. Darkglass sounds a little bit better. I have a Sansamp RBI and it dont sound that good.

3. BEADist

BEADist

Mar 24, 2022
    The Netherlands
    I think the SansAmp sounds bigger, filthier and more dark.

Edit: Thanks for sharing!

4. Zach Szy

Zach Szy

Jan 8, 2023
    Edgewater
    Thanks! I wasn’t disappointed with either one. Two different flavors, both great!

mcnach likes this.
  5. Zach Szy

Zach Szy

Jan 8, 2023
    Edgewater
    I’m with you on this one. While I do like the articulation of the Darkglass, for this case the sand amp just sounded meaner and more rock and roll to my ears.

6. Reedt2000

Reedt2000 Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2017
    Central New Jersey
    I voted sansamp cause it feels more like distortion with good articulation and that tone suits the context better (IMHO). The DG sounded more like overdrive than distortion, a little cleaner and only gritty in spots. A good tone, growly but still bassy and with clear articulation.

7. Zach Szy

Zach Szy

Jan 8, 2023
    Edgewater
    Really interesting! I definitely hear the sansamp as more of a fuzz/distortion like you said, but to my ears the darkglass had more articulation. With that said, I agree that for this track I’d go Sansamp

BEADist and Reedt2000 like this.
  8. gg69

gg69

May 17, 2005
    Darkglass sounds slightly better. But not enough for me to switch from my Sansamp =]

BEADist and Zach Szy like this.
  9. Zach Szy

Zach Szy

Jan 8, 2023
    Edgewater
    Sansamp = half the price
    Darkglass = AT LEAST twice the tonal options

BEADist and Mk90 like this.
  10. hieronymous

hieronymous

Nov 28, 2002
    SF Bay Area
    Interesting - nice comparison, nice sounds, nice playing! I think I prefer the SansAmp - it sounds thicker and a little more "real" even if it doesn't have quite the clear high end of the Darkglass. But I also may be biased, since I have never played any Darkglass stuff and have a SansAmp (Geddy Lee MP40) - I can tell that I am biased by my opinions and experiences (or lack thereof) with the two companies, even though I don't really have strong feelings about either...

Zach Szy likes this.
  11. RichSnyder

RichSnyder Columbia, MD Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    In this example I would pick the SansAmp. Maybe with a few different knob turns I would pick the Darkglass.

BEADist and Zach Szy like this.
  12. Zach Szy

Zach Szy

Jan 8, 2023
    Edgewater
    I think part of why it sounds more "real" as you put it, is because it's a sound so many of us have grown accustomed to. It's on countless records, stages and in nearly every studio. It sort of just tends to right for rock music

jdaunt and hieronymous like this.
  13. Zon master

Zon master

May 10, 2017
    “Hollow” - A.I.C?

Zach Szy likes this.
  14. Leonid Nidis

Leonid Nidis

Jan 1, 2018
    Sansamp,sounds fatter but cuts just as well.

15. Zach Szy

Zach Szy

Jan 8, 2023
    Edgewater
    Yes! Or at least the parts I could kinda sorta remember

Zon master likes this.
  16. I didn't listen to the clips; but I've used both Darkglass and Sansamp DIs in the same live situation multiple times. I preferred the Darkglass. An Alpha/Omega in my experience.

17. chanson

chanson Supporting Member

They both sound great. So much so that could you share the settings for both pedal?

They sound a lot more similar than I expected them to. I've always felt it was a bit of an unfair comparison to compare sansamp to darkglass. Aren't sansamp more or less supposed to initiate the sound of an amp, whereas the darkglass are distortion pedals? I think darkglass sound way better in front of an amp or another gain stage. I think the best tone would be to stack them!

Nashrakh likes this.
  18. alex1fly

alex1fly

Feb 5, 2008
    Very similar sounds. The difference to me sounds like a few slight adjustments in the mids. With a flexible EQ you could make one sound like the other real fast.

Nashrakh likes this.
  19. groovaholic

groovaholic Protect your hearing. Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2004
    Mount Prospect, IL
    Me too.
    I've always leaned more toward SansAmp than Darkglass tones, and this is as good as I've heard a SansAmp sound.

20. 6-3-2

6-3-2

Sep 20, 2003
    I'm pleasantly surprised by the SansAmp; I could never manage that modern of a tone. That said, I prefer the tighter low-end of the Darkglass and it's more aggressive mids. Both sound great, however. Feels like it's really a matter of taste in this situation.