1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

DarkStar pickups - starting from ... ?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by KISSbestfan, Mar 13, 2013.

1. Hello all !

Just a quick question - when the DarkStar pickups were released first ?

2. I'm just wondering, because I own a Defil pickup, and a friend of mine own Jolana pickup, that have exactly the same construction as the DarkStars, and are from the late 60's.
    rytm.
    i-1.

3. The darkstars are indeed modern copies of those old 60's pickups. Someone else will have to tell you when they were produced, but my guess is 2007 ish.

4. GregC

GregC Johnny and Joe Gold Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2007
    Chicago
    I'm not exactly sure on the start date myself, but I know Lakland used them for the original version of the Decade model, which was released in 2005.

5. cdef

cdef

Jul 18, 2003
    Fred Hammon modeled the Dark Stars on Hagstrom's Bi-Sonic pickups, used in their Coronado basses about 1963-65. The original Guild Starfires also had Bi-Sonics.

6. I use them first from fred in 2003, it was a set fred sold on ebay, I guess I was one of the first, if not The first european customer.

7. painful100

painful100

Jul 25, 2013
    Anyone know where I can purchase one?

8. ukulelelab

ukulelelab

Apr 14, 2013
    Darkstars were a modern version of Hagstrom Bisonic pickups found on mid to late 60's Guild and Hagstrom basses. According to 'mgod' (Emory Gordy?) over at Let's talk Guild the concept was born during a meeting with Fred Hammon back in 2003. Not sure when the first pickups saw the light though. I ordered a matched pair in reverse polarity for a Guild starfire back in November 2009 and eventually got them 6 months later. Darkstars are no longer made. Curtis Novak now does his own version

9. bluesblaster

bluesblaster

Jan 2, 2008
    mgod aint emory gordy

10. salcott

salcott Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2007
    NYC, Inwood.
    Curtis Novak's remake is a great pickup.

11. Mungi

Mungi

Nov 6, 2010
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Hagström first launched the bisonic pickup on their Coronado basses in 1963. It came in a 4-string and a 6-string version. Guild then started using them on the Starfire basses until 1970. Darkstar are a modern remake of those. It does not sound exactly the same. I got two basses with bisonics and one with Darkstars. Fantastic pickups!

P17FutuCorons.

12. Muziekschuur

Muziekschuur

May 25, 2009
    Stavenisse
    Alot of '50's and '60's guitars and basses were still tooled with handcrafted steel plates switches and knobs. Meaning creating a slightly different knob button or shield wasn't more expensive. It was even smart as it could boost sales.

End '60's companies like Schaller more and more gained respect for their attention to detail and their quality because of their hardening of steel parts (tuning pegs, saddles, bridges) but keeping the cost reasonable. Since then it became more and more common sense to buy parts.

The downside: creating great pickups like the Bisonics was more and more a bad business idea. I am happy those days, we can choose are back.