Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Daryl Jones' 2005 live setup

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Lonnybass, Sep 12, 2005.

1. Lonnybass

Lonnybass Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2000
    Minneapolis by way of Chicago
    Endorsing Artist: Pedulla Basses
    Matt Lauer did a backstage segment on the Stones yesterday, and there on stage left was an absolutely enormous bass rig...three Ampeg SVTs and matching 8x10s next to a rack of Crown power amps and a huge rolling rack of speakers. Anyone have any idea how the whole thing is set up?

Lonnybass

2. Lonnybass

Lonnybass Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2000
    Minneapolis by way of Chicago
    Endorsing Artist: Pedulla Basses
    Bumpity bump

3. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Wouldn't it be funny if he just ran through a BDDI direct to the house and the other stuff was just for show?

Maybe that's the real secret to the Stones...Darryl runs through a BDDI direct and the three 8x10s are really empty and used to store Mick, Keith and Woody in between gigs. :D

4. Dan1099

Dan1099 Dumbing My Process Down

Aug 7, 2004
    Michigan
    I read in last months bass player that he uses a pretty extensive combo of power amps (crown), preamps (don't remember which. maybe Millenia?) and Meyer 3 way cabs. It's quite an extensive, and expensive right.

For smaller clubs, it says he ends up running it all out of an Ampeg B-15.

5. bonscottvocals

bonscottvocals

Feb 10, 2005
    Upstate NY
    So I'm watching the DVD collection that was exclusive at Best Buy, and I was really let down by how much they showed anyone but Darryl. His playing is awesome, I just wish they had a Darryl-cam. :bassist:

6. Futurebass

Futurebass

Jun 22, 2005
    The way the poor guy's mixed he may as well use a Peavey Combo.

7. andruca

andruca

Mar 31, 2004
    Madrid (Spain)
    Yeah! Maybe that's why he isn't using laudry machines like Geddy's. It's because you can't store the guys in there. Now I see it all very clear! :p :p :p :p

ANDRUCA

8. SteveC

SteveC Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    No kidding. Do you ever hear the bass?

9. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    For what Darryl makes, I wouldn't even care if they had me on the stage at all!

10. Futurebass

Futurebass

Jun 22, 2005
    I heard he's paid poorly. What's your source?

11. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    funny,

but in that same article, did anyone catch the "custom Epifani 14" cabs" reference? ***?

12. Dan1099

Dan1099 Dumbing My Process Down

Aug 7, 2004
    Michigan
    Yeah, for his shows without the Stones. It's a custom cab, I'm sure he could have any size he wanted made, if he were willing to lay out enough cash for it.

13. willgroove2

willgroove2

Aug 16, 2003
    chicago IL
    Endorsing Artist;Essential sound products,Dunlop, Ergo Instruments
    not true at all,my source? the man himself(i don't know the exsact number to the dime but it's more than most people make a year in a week)

14. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    willgroove2...did you talk to Darryl at the Lakland 10yr reunion concert? Or the clinic the day after?

I went, great show, but foolishly left before making the rounds to shake hands with the bassists...

15. Futurebass

Futurebass

Jun 22, 2005
    Glad to hear it. I will tell my source (well known rock manager) that he is out of it.

16. djcruse

djcruse

Jun 3, 2002
    Norwood, MA
    In an article in Bass Player a year or two ago Darryl said something about making $30K PER NIGHT. I wish I was paid that poorly.