1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Dave Holland Solo Transcription

Discussion in 'Music [DB]' started by bassist31588, Mar 10, 2008.

1. Hey guys, just wondering if anyone has transcribed Dave Holland's solo on "Work" off of Joe Lovano's From the Soul album. I'm currently transcribing this solo, but might not be able to finish it completely by the time I need it for (Wednesday)... I'm rather lethargic when it comes to transcribing...
    Edit/Delete Message

2. Alex Scott

Alex Scott

May 8, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Ah, I failed my Dave Holland solo transcription. My teachers kept telling me to do something easier. I failed that too.

Good luck.

3. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

I'm just guessing - but I can remember from reading reviews and interviews how Dave Holland tends to write most of his stuff in unusual odd time signatures - yet often its sounds so natural that you can't quite believe it - may have somthing to do with difficulty in transcribing his stuff?

4. I've transcribed almost all of Dave Holland's solo on Take the Coltrane from triplicate. It's not easy and the part where Dave plays the dotted quarter rhythm is just hard cause Jack Dejhonette basically stops playing time there. However it's been a great challenge. Bassist31588 you'd do yourself a favor to transcribe it yourself.

5. Pat Harris

Pat Harris Supporting Member

Nov 17, 2006
    Austin, TX
    Dave Holland... is the man, and consistently great as a bassist and soloist. Of the transcriptions I've done of his solos, I find these two to be good places to start:

"Oh I See" off the ScoLoHoFo album "Oh!"
    "Moon River" off the "Bill Frisell with Dave Holland and Elvin Jones" album. He keeps the cross-rhythms to a minimum and they are very diatonic with some nice color tones in there.

-Pat