Dave Holland's Mic

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by BassZen, Jan 4, 2004.

1. I read on Dave's website that he uses (along with an Underwood) an AKG 406c mic mounted on the tailpiece. I did some research but could not find the AKG 406c anywere leading me to believe that it is no longer made. What type of mic is this? I know it is a condencer but is it a small one similar in size to a K&K Golden Bullet or is it a larger mic that he just somehow attacked to his tailpiece?
  2. Adrian Cho

Adrian Cho Supporting Member

Sep 17, 2001
    Ottawa, Canada
    I don't know about this mic but I have heard that he "mounts" it in there by wrapping it in foam.
  3. sean p

sean p

Mar 7, 2002
    eugene, oregon
    i sent dave holland an email asking him about this and this is excerpted from his reply, regarding a concert last february:

"The gear info is on my website but here it is anyway. The mic I was using is
    an AKG 416. The earlier model is a 406c which I think is a little better but
    is discontinued."

i can't remember exactly where he had it mounted. tailpiece, i think, but where it pointed, i'm unsure.

sean p
  4. Adrian Cho

Adrian Cho Supporting Member

Sep 17, 2001
    Ottawa, Canada
    I believe it points up - that is towards the bridge. He wraps it in foam and puts it behind the tailpiece. I've never seen it but that's what I've been told.
  5. Thank you but where can I get one of these suckers? I've looked at all the major online stores and none of them seem to have them.
  6. jazzbassnerd

Aug 26, 2002
    As far as placement goes, I saw him at the Playboy Jazz Festival in 2003. From looking at him with binoculars it seemed that his mic point straight down from the bridge. Maybe mounted on the bridge?

7. mje

Aug 1, 2002
    Southeast Michigan
    Before running off to find that mic, try experimenting with what you have on hand. The lowly SM-57 has been tied to many a tailpiece. This weekend I'm going to try one of my Sampson CO1s- a nice sounding $50 microphone- with my home recording setup.