1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

David Brown from the original santana band

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by matito, Oct 29, 2006.

1. I really like this guys playing, he was on the first 3 santana albums i think, and was cool at woodstock.

just i can't find any details or what he did after he left santana, i'd be interested in seeing his other work.

I read somewhere he died a few years ago. thats all i could find on him.

thanks

2. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    He pops up on some other Santana albums...like Amigo & Live At The Fillmore (pre-Santana, the album).

Check out the Legacy Edition of Santana III...Disc 2 is Live stuff.
    More Brown on DVD can be seen on Soul To Soul...the Santana III-era band playing in West Africa.
    Voices Of Lating Rock written by Jim McCarthy has some info on Santana; it appears Brown had demoins/drug problems during/after his time with Santana. DEitto for Brown's replacement, Dougie Rauch.

The other day, the local Classic Rock station was playing "Black Magic Woman"...for the gear-obsessed-
    The bass tone is thick, phat & sits so right in the mix...all done on a stock P-bass. Sorry, I always argue with some friends that are seemingly always chasing the latest technology. I usually tell them their efforts/resources would be better spent elsewhere. I mean, really, what's wrong with Brown's tone on those early records?
    ;)

ImprecisionBass likes this.
  3. corinpills

corinpills

Nov 19, 2000
    Boston, MA
    He's a monster! Some of the grooviest, yet understated bass playing you'll ever hear. His tone is amazing.

4. +1

i love early santana. great stuff.

5. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

Check out "Let Me", the third track from "Amigos". Maybe not an outstanding song as a whole, but its cool lead bass groove (played by Mr. Brown, of course) is the main reason why this is one of my all-time favorite Santana tunes. I played it along with the LP many times, many years ago.

6. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

Not so much about him on Wikipedia:

7. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool:
    Also Doug Rauch, played killer bass on early Santana.

Check out Lotus.
    Great playing.

8. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    I loved Rauch and Brown too.....pick a era, and Santana always had a smokin' bassist.

9. that dude had some FAT FAT tone. coupled with that warm creamy SG p90 tone santana had made for a heavenly sound.

gbxer likes this.
  10. nysbob

nysbob

Sep 14, 2003
    Cincinnati OH
    Doug Rauch was in a class by himself...you can put on Caranvaserai and hear things most players today can't touch.

11. PhR

PhR

Dec 13, 2005
    Finland
    Agreed, a unique style and sound.

12. dougjwray

dougjwray

Jul 20, 2005
    I'm with you.:hyper:
    I still play his intro to "Soul Sacrifice" when I'm noodling around. The Woodstock version is IT for me, when it comes to that kind of tone. As you say, stock Precision (sunburst w/rosewood fingerboard... there's a Woodstock picture of him from the back, where you can see the strap button on the back on the headstock... pre-CBS, right?)... flatwound strings, 'natch.

13. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man

Feb 11, 2003
    Just got Welcome-CD. 1973.
    Killer finger funk.
    This was three years before Jaco, hit big.
    Doug blows me away.

14. nysbob

nysbob

Sep 14, 2003
    Cincinnati OH
    I saw him live with Santana in '73. I was watching him, but didn't have a clue how he was doing what he was doing.

There's a track on Caravanserai -all the Love In The Universe- that is unfrigginbelievable...he's got like 3 different things going on at the same time. Check it out. :bassist:

15. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man

Feb 11, 2003
    I seen him with Carlos and John Mclsughlin tour.
    LOVE DEVOTION SURRENDER
    Maybe 1972-1973.
    Carlos
    John
    Doug
    Larry Young-organ
    Billy Cobham-Drums.
    Unkown conga player.
    Dough used a black jazz bass, and a sunburst P-bass.
    Way ahead of his time.

16. PhR

PhR

Dec 13, 2005
    Finland
    The unknown conga player on that Santana&McLaughlin tour was Armando Peraza.
    Doug played a lot with his thumb, all those fast 16th note patterns were him double thumbing. I recall someone writing that when he played with Cobham in '75 he played everything using just his thumb.

Here's Doug with his Jazz Bass:
    [​IMG]

17. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    On the re-release of Welcome there is a bonus track called Mantra with some stunning work by Rauch! NYSBob is right, Doug is one of electric bass historys great lost treasures!

18. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man

Feb 11, 2003
    Great Pic.

19. bassist15

bassist15

Mar 6, 2006
    Indiana
    Ive only heard a few of the popular songs of his but I love the groove break on Black MAgic Woman. I def need to get some more Santana cds. Rauch has a funky look

20. PhR

PhR

Dec 13, 2005
    Finland
    I was hoping for more bonus tracks on these releases but "Mantra" is better than nothing. The new remaster of "Welcome" credits also David Brown playing bass but that is incorrect. The original vinyl credits say that Carlos plays bass in "Mother Africa", all other tracks are by Rauch.

"Santana III" was quite recently reissued as a double cd and it has a great Fillmore West concert from July 4, 1971. Excellent playing from the original Santana band (plus Coke Escovedo on percussion) including David Brown.

[​IMG]

Here's the Doug Rauch thread:
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=240134&highlight=rauch