Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

dbx or ebs...Which would you recommend?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Hofbrauhaus, Jan 22, 2004.

1. Hofbrauhaus

Hofbrauhaus

Feb 10, 2002
    Upton, MA
    Ok, I'm a bassist on a budget since I'm primarily a sax player, but I really think I need some form of compression in my rig. Looks like 250 bucks is my max. The EBS multicomp sounds very nice if I decide to go with a pedal, but for a rack unit I'm trying to decide between a dbx 266xl or 166xl. I would just like to know what the pros and cons of each are from you more knowledgable players. Thanks a bunch :)

2. tomtom

tomtom

Jun 17, 2002
    Philthy, PA
    ebs stuff sounds good but breaks easily.

i've got a dbx 160x (80's) which i love (can't speak for the others) you may be able to find one used.

check out the Demeter pedal (supposedly the sheeeit ) and there's always the RNC (FMR audio)

3. RevGroove

RevGroove Commercial User

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Manager, Account Services: Long & McQuade Ltd. (Burlington); MTD Kingston Basses International Emerging Artist; Bartolini Electronics Emerging Artist
    Loving the dbx 266XL...run both channels in series, extra gain...NICE, really smoothes out my :rolleyes: lack of technique ;)

4. Go for the Digitech Bass squeeze ! It's a pedal, but has a compressor that was designed by DBX.

5. RevGroove

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Manager, Account Services: Long & McQuade Ltd. (Burlington); MTD Kingston Basses International Emerging Artist; Bartolini Electronics Emerging Artist
    How do you know that? That's interesting if true...

6. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    From the digitech web site bass squeeze page:
    The bass squeeze is a great pedal for the money. Personally, I prefer the EBS MultiComp - extremely transparent.

7. RevGroove

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Thanks davidmwilson, something for me to consider when I can't take my whole rig...

8. thrasher717

thrasher717

Jan 17, 2003
    North Dakota
    DBX 163x is great for bass and very easy to use. I bought mine on eBay for $30.

9. I have both, bot the DBX is a lot better!