1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

de afwerking mk4-4++ - blablas has that building itch again

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by blablas, Jul 12, 2014.

1. nY4LRST.
    Done the rough sawing of all the wood for the neck.
    Top of the picture will be the neck itself: wenge - 3 ply birch - padauk - 3 ply birch - wenge.
    Middle, the fingerboard: padauk.
    Bottom, headstock: Merbau with a rosewood top (the top is a leftover from the top of the body).

Last edited: Aug 6, 2017
  2. In between my normal work I made myself a small handy fret wire bender today.
    AktKTfK.
    AqyhNQw.
    Since I'm going to use stainless steel fret wire for this current build, which is lot more difficult to work on than the standard copper-nickel alloy, I decided it would be nice to have the fret wire already in the right shape before hammering them in.
    The better the shape is beforehand, the easier it will be during leveling and crowning.

Deep Cat and Thomas Kievit like this.
  3. the baint

the baint

Jan 1, 2010
    Greenville, SC
    Techtronic Industries, North America employee. Opinions are my own.
    What stainless frets are you using? I am interested in finding an equivalent to Warmoth's stainless 6105 fretwire, but not sure where to source it at a more reasonable price.

4. I bought the fret wire through E-bay.
    The seller does not supply a number with it but they do give all the dimensions, click.

5. the baint

the baint

Jan 1, 2010
    Greenville, SC
    Techtronic Industries, North America employee. Opinions are my own.
    Thanks for the link blablas. I have also seen this listed on Amazon, but don’t have enough experience to know how to avoid any red-flags.

6. floydman

floydman Supporting Member

Sep 27, 2002
    southeast CT
    looking good!

7. Minimal progress.
    AZJz0Em.
    Glued the wood for the neck and made half of the scarf joint.

Haven't been in the mood to do much work on this project the last couple of weeks, partly due to this little in-between project.
    LGUwNRY.

DmQqbeN.
    A new maple-fingerboard neck for my G&L L-2000 Tribute, needed work on the fret ends, also did some crowning and polishing on the frets and now it's oiled with Danish oil.

Splods likes this.
  8. Gilmourisgod

Gilmourisgod

Jun 23, 2014
    Cape Cod MA
    Dang this gonna be sweet. Love the Watco Danish, worlds most forgiving finish. Love the wood selections and superb craftsmanship. My hat is officially off to you.

dblbass likes this.
  9. Actually, I'm using Rustins Danish oil, that's the only brand I'm able to find over here in Holland.:)

Thanks for the compliment!

10. Is that one of those necks on sale online? If so, did you removed the sealer before applying the oil? I'm starting a proyect with one of those necks and thinking how to finish the neck wood.

11. Yes it is.
    I didn't remove the sealer, only lightly sanded the neck and applied the Danish oil.
    There is no need to completely remove the sealer, Danish oil polymerizes and creates it's own varnish layer, the light sanding is only for a better bonding of the Danish oil.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2014
  12. Thanks!!

13. Finished the G&L modification.
    g_l_m.
    With I bit of luck and some good will the new build will continue the coming weeks.

Jonny5bass and Splods like this.
  14. Once again, no progress on the mk4-4++. :facepalm:

Yesterday evening I got the urge to modify the neck of my mk2-7.
    0NV3EsS.

OIZsKoU.
    This was the first bass I made, over four years ago, after a break of about 15 years from the one I made before that. Meanwhile I've already made eleven new ones since I build this one.
    The neck profile, thickness and volute were not up to my current standards of building... time to do something about that!

Splods likes this.
  15. Ojwv4IL.
    Applied furniture oil to the fingerboard.

9hwlNrF.
    Mounted the tuners and put on the final layer of Danish oil.

cKmx2yV.
    Volute mk.2.
    The neck profile is asymmetrical now and has a flatter shape, removed 3 millimeters from the neck thickness.

16. dblbass

dblbass Commercial User

Mar 24, 2007
    Beacon, NY
    Owner of MBJ guitars, Maker of fine sawdust for Carl Thompson Guitars
    Quick question for you...

You seem to be a lefty (correct?). While designing your instruments, do you draw everything as if it were a righty and flip it? Or just lefty from the beginning. I just finished a lefty bass for a guy in Georgia and had to draw everything righty. Just wondering if righty seems 'normal-er-ish' to your brain or if lefty is how you think from the get-go.

17. Correct, I'm a lefty. And I design them lefty from the start, I use my drawings as a template and don't want to mirror them once I start building.

18. mk4-4++
    Finally done something on this one again.
    LAwHxA2.
    Prepared and glued the headstock scarf joint.

Splods likes this.
  19. B4OrAdb.
    Glued on the headstock top.

20. Thomas Kievit

Thomas Kievit Guest

May 19, 2012
    Unbelievable!

Wordt weer gruwelijk mooi beste kerel ;)