1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

de afwerking mk5-4f - blablas does another build diary

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by blablas, Sep 29, 2013.

1. A lot of people would like to see it... so here is the start of the diary for my next build.

The plan, a SG based bass:
    - Fanned four string 32.5 to 34 inch scale
    - Artec Sidewinder as bridge pickup and a Gibson copy (brand unknown) bridge pickup as the neck pickup
    - Passive electronics (a first for me, all my builds have been active)
    - Iroko top and back, Alder body core
    - Set neck
    - Neck might be: Maple, Wenge, Bubinga and or Zebrano, whatever I feel like when I start on it, I've got all these woods in house
    - Indonesian Rosewood for the fingerboard
    - Dual action truss rod
    - Single string bridge parts
    - Duesenberg tuners

I still need to order some parts, but I've already got most of them.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    It's going to be the bottom fret layout.

I'm not going to begin building right away, I want some weeks without bass building first, I'll start on it when it starts itching again (3 weeks at the most :D).

2. sprocket123

sprocket123

Feb 15, 2012
    Canada
    Will follow this thread also Sub d .

3. MPU

MPU

Sep 21, 2004
    Valkeala Finland
    For me this is the hardest thing in bass building. I haven't found a good way to deal with that itch other than starting to make sawdust. I'm trying to keep that itch away with pickup winding and it works pretty well too.
    I'll be watching this build with interest. You working is nice to watch!

4. It's already itching right now, not that hard yet but it's there, I can still suppress it, let's see how long I can hold myself back. :D

5. lbridenstine

lbridenstine

Jun 25, 2012
    MI
    I have the same issue, I keep planning out new builds before I'm done with the current ones and think "okay, take some time off in between" so far, I haven't been able to.

6. Sounds very familiar. :)

This build is even worse, it's a in-between build based on a "on the fly idea" I came up with shortly after I bought the pickups I'm using on this bass.
    When I stumbled upon these pickups they came at a price that I just couldn't resist, even though I had no idea yet what to do with them.

At that time I was actually planning on doing a completely different build, a seven string single cut, I'll probably going do that one when this one is finished, if nothing else comes up first.

My record for doing nothing between builds during the last five builds I did has been a week. :eyebrow:

7. lbridenstine

lbridenstine

Jun 25, 2012
    MI
    How long has it been since you started the first one?

8. I did my first build about 20 years ago and over a period of 4 years made 4.5 basses, then I gradually lost interest in bass playing and got more and more involved in photography as my main hobby.

I started playing and having fun with a bass again in 2010.
    The half one I started on in those early days I finally finished about 2.5 years ago. Since then, including that one, I have completed 6 new basses and also completely rebuild the 4 old ones, the one in this diary will be build number eleven.

A bit more detailed history of my building urges can be read here.

9. lbridenstine

lbridenstine

Jun 25, 2012
    MI
    So you've taken a week off in the last 3-3.5 years? Wow.

10. Longer periods of time from my work of course, but I can't leave my hobby's alone for that long. :)

11. You might want to have a look at this again and figure out which fret you'd like straight across the neck. I went with fret 5, but dingwall do fret 7 from memory.

12. Here's a Dingwall...

[​IMG]

13. I know that Dingwall uses fret seven, I've also used that one on two previous builds, the reason for my choosing the 16th fret on this bass is that I want the bridge at a more straight angle and still have the advantage of multi scale string length.

My two previous fanned builds.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. kris pung

kris pung

Jul 25, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    WOW both of those look amazing!!

15. Thank you.

16. I am addicted to the fat sound of neck PUs that are located as next as possible to the fretboard (like the neck PU position on my Lakland hollowbody). How about a shorter 22 or 21 fret fingerboard design and moving the neck PU upwards ? Or leaving a bit more space for slapping ?

Just my 2 cents.

17. How about this is the location where I like my pickups, on my bass. :smug:

18. Dave Higham

Dave Higham

Dec 19, 2005
    S.W.France
    Why is everyone telling him how they would do it when he knows exactly how (and why) he's going to do it.
    I'm sure some people add their unsolicited opinion to a post without reading what's gone before.:rolleyes:

Sartori likes this.
  19. Thanks for understanding Dave.

Whatever everyone is advising I'll be doing my own thing anyway.

20. This thread is going to be a lot of fun to follow! I love SGs, and your other basses all look stunning... :) I love the idea of an SG with a few original features, like fanned frets and exotic wood. I'm sure that it will be a truly beautiful bass when it is finished!

I hope that you enjoy the build, and very best of luck with it! :bassist: