1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
    TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

de afwerking mk5-4f - blablas does another build diary

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by blablas, Sep 29, 2013.

1. I am sorry if my comment was understood as offensive. This was definetly not my intention. Of course it's your bass, your design and your craftmanship, which I appreciated in your previos thread as well. I just wanted to share my suggestion ... may be at the wrong place.
  2. I'm not offended that easy and I understood your intention. I just wanted to point out that this is my bass and build and I am experienced (and stubborn) enough to know what and why I'm doing it.

No hard feelings at all.
  3. The first sawdust is a fact.
    The top, back and core.
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2017
  4. wraub

Apr 9, 2004
    ennui, az
    deviated prevert
    2 things, if I may:

1. That top and back look amazing already. What are the finish plans? I understand the wood should darken some with time.

B: Be careful working with that iroko. I've heard working with it can lead to breathing issues and skin irritation. Just sayin'.

Definitely watching this...
  5. I prefer Danish oil so most likely that will be the finish I'm going to use.
    It has already turned darker and more brown than when I bought it, at that time it was more yellow with a greenish sheen to it, I will just have wait and see how it turns out.
  6. Rd9sLXp.
    Re-sawed the top and back book-matching, also re-sawed the body core planks to thickness but these are just boring slabs of alder and not worth taking a photo of.
  7. aft2hCf.
    And decided how I am going to use them, on the left the top, on the right the back.
  8. 9YLIOU8.
    All the parts are in, a roll of fret wire is standard stock, same goes for the assortment of screws I need.
  9. Glued together the separate halves of the three body layers and leveled them (no photo's, not that interesting).

Top/core/back glued together.

Before gluing I defined the size of the back cover and the positions of holes for the screws in it, then sawed it of and finished of its sides. After gluing together the body I drilled the holes in the cover and body.
    Before gluing I also sawed of a (future) leftover piece from the side, this is going to be used as the top for the headstock.

Body ready to be sawed into shape.
  10. 3cOLpIE.
    Sawed the body contour.

The wood grain is coming out beautiful!
    Sartori likes this.
  11. Xb5ppDU.
    Pimped up the top with some naphtha.
    Sartori likes this.
  12. EGkGOSa.
    Rough shaped the chamfered edges on the top of the outside of the body, now I first need to finish of the outer body contour of the body before I will continue with these edges.
    Sartori likes this.
  13. Dave_2000

Feb 11, 2013
    Comments & Questions:
    1. That body is looking amazing.

2. What is the headstock going to look like?

3. Your last build was also amazing.

4. The bass in post #13 is maybe the most beautiful single cut I've seen. I'm not just talking about the build, I'm talking about the design itself. Perfect.

5. You have pictures of 4-1/2 basses in the link on post #8 and there are pictures of 2 more in post #13. With these 2 threads, that makes 8-1/2 of 11. More pictures, more details please!!!

6. Why do you want the bridge angle straighter? I'm not questioning you but since you put so much thought into these builds, I'm interested in your thought process.
    Sartori likes this.
  14. themarshall

Jun 26, 2008
    cochrane wi
    I\m mostly aware of fanned/multi-scale instruments as a means of getting the most out of "b" or lower strings. What are the advantages on a 4?
  15. Dave_2000

Feb 11, 2013
    The way fan-frets were explained to me, there are 2 advantages: the intonation is more accurate and it combines the better sounding G string of short scales with the better sounding E string of long scales.
  16. tdogg

Jan 17, 2001
    Brooklyn Park, MN
    They have more even intonation and string tension across all strings. Take a look inside a grand piano or at a harp for the same concept.
    Sartori likes this.
  17. What Dave_2000 and tdogg said. :)
  18. 1. Thanks.

2. Almost identical to the one in my previous build (6 string hollowbody), only for four strings. (It's already worked out, must remember to take a picture of it);)

3 & 4 Thanks again!!

All my builds can be seen on my homepage, with some there are "more detail" pages, just click on the photo of the bass you want know more about.

I prefer to rest my picking hand on the bridge pickup, when the angle of the bridge is to sharp I can't do that anymore for the higher strings, I can rest my hand on the neck pickup, the neck itself or use the floating thumb method but when I'm not alert and sharp in my playing style my hand will wander of to the bridge pickup again.
    Sartori likes this.
  19. wraub

Apr 9, 2004
    ennui, az
    deviated prevert
    That wood is looking really nice. Definitely watching this one...
  20. aeUzawV.
    Made a set of knobs at work during lunch break today.