1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Dealer: Fender Ultra to replace Elite

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Pet Sounds, Sep 19, 2019.

1. Hey, guys. A local long-time Fender dealer told me yesterday that Fender's replacement for the Elite series will be called the Ultra series. The dealer said the truss rod wheel of the Elite will be eliminated, and the basses will feature another upgrade of the noiseless pickups. He said the necks are superb. But overall he said the new series isn't a radical change. It will be available after the first of the year.

The dealer said he heard this from a Fender rep. I got the idea he may have seen one in the flesh, but I'm not sure.

Anybody else hear anything along these lines?

CozmoCosty and Linnin like this.
  2. UntitledUser

UntitledUser

Sep 18, 2019
    I was very happy when, time ago, there were "only" American Standard and Standard (MiM).
    Just easy like when a pentium 2 was better than pentium 1.
    In these recent years, too much new names (of the same thing) for my taste.

R&B, CameronJohnson, Beej and 21 others like this.
  3. MattZilla

MattZilla

Jun 26, 2013
    CNY
    NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! The only reason I was considering buying a non-used Fender!

4. ajkula66

ajkula66

Sep 23, 2016
    NEPA
    Well, once they start clearing Elites out you'll likely be in for a good deal on one...:D

5. Wisebass

Wisebass

Jan 12, 2017
    Lost in Space
    Hi Pet Sounds :)

Ultra? :laugh: Are you sure this is not just a joke?

This sounds real enough to be a Fender decision (sadly!)

Another bummer! Maybe it doesn' t look vintage enough for some? :(

On the other hand they do things like the pickup routes on Jazz basses :banghead::thumbsdown::sour:

Am I the only one that likes Jazz basses without a PG? :crying:

Maybe you will have to wait for the "Mega" to replace the "Ultra" :D

greetings

Wise(b)ass

6. Linnin

Linnin

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    Groovy Baby!

7. UntitledUser

UntitledUser

Sep 18, 2019
    and in 2021:
    Hyper-Precision
    Giga-Jazz
    Yotta-Jaguar

8. MattZilla

MattZilla

Jun 26, 2013
    CNY
    @Wisebass it does sound like a Real Fender Decision tm. I was really hoping it'd trickle down onto Pro and Standard series basses. Who could've been complaining about the spoke wheel but not about the Noiselesse Programme?

Jazz Mega or Mega Jazz? Regardless, over twenty percent of its buyers will immediately swap the N7 (or whatever revision level they're at) pickups out for CS 196x pickups.

9. Wisebass

Wisebass

Jan 12, 2017
    Lost in Space
    Hi Matt :)

That' s normal! :D Fenders are and were always modding platforms. (good ones!)

I replaced the pups on my '73 Jazz with Barts! It sounds better!

(should have kept the old ones though :banghead::banghead::banghead:) :D

I think they do a lot of things without a poll on TB! :laugh:;)

:laugh:

The shortscale Mustang will be the the "Nano" :hyper::hyper::hyper:

Wise(b)ass

10. Cyborg

Cyborg Supporting Member

Jul 7, 2007
    Lowcountry, SC
    Hmm, I wonder why they'd get rid of the truss rod wheel? I have no issue with a new generation of noiseless pickups being offered.

To me it would seem like a good thing to have the truss rod wheel trickle down into the other series rather than eliminate. Never heard EBMM SR users say they wished EBMM would get rid of the truss rod wheel.

11. UNICORN BASS

UNICORN BASS

Feb 10, 2016
    Michigan USA
    Discontinue the wheel adjuster eh? Sounds like the bean counters are alive and well at Fender.

12. Leonid Nidis

Leonid Nidis

Jan 1, 2018
    Another name change that quick doesnt seem likley.

fakeneckplate'65 likes this.
  13. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru.......... Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2006
    I can't wait until Fender replaces this latest up-and-coming Ultra series with the Ne Plus Ultra series. Where could they go from there? :roflmao:

BrentSimons, Dr. Cheese, oren and 4 others like this.
  14. I was very happy when, time ago, there were "only" P & J (and for a bit, Tele).

15. GhettoBrassGuy

GhettoBrassGuy Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2002
    Simi Valley, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull, Lakland, Aguilar, JH Audio
    Yep. They’ve already lowered the price of the Elites. I haven’t seen them in the flesh but they’re happening.

16. Yeah that basically just ensured that I'm getting a music man when I buy my next 4-string

17. CGremlin

CGremlin Supporting Member

Nov 1, 2014
    They had them on the Modern Players. So much more convenient than either the headstock adjustment or having to remove the neck.

18. Cyborg

Cyborg Supporting Member

Jul 7, 2007
    Lowcountry, SC
    I wasn't aware of that but good to know. I've heard for years how much the EBMM users loved it. Hopefully, Fender is keeping it around because of ease of adjusting the truss rod. Time will tell.

19. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    I would've loved to be at that round-robin meeting at Fender where everyone was tossing out cool new names...if only to sample the weed everyone must've been smoking.

Huw Phillips and PJ Muzikmansky like this.
  20. lowdownthump

lowdownthump

Jul 17, 2004
    Getting rid of the trust rod wheel will be a big mistake .
    I’m just glad I got my Elite Jazz V when I did .
    Ditch the stock strings and you have a very nice jazz bass. Pickups and preamp are fine for my needs.
    I bought mine in mint condition used.
    These basses are a steal on used market.

HD007, rasicci, George End and 3 others like this.