1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Dealing with the dreaded corner

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by DigitalMan, Jan 30, 2019.

1. DigitalMan

DigitalMan Wikipedia often mistakes my opinions for fact Supporting Member

Nov 30, 2011
    Ok, strictly speaking this isn't about recording. I have a home office with some music stuff that comes along for the ride. I am trying to layout the room optimally, and have to make a compromise of sorts.

I have a "bass rig" for lack of a better term, consisting of a 16U rack with a bunch of stuff in it (some bass and some not) and have a 1x12" speaker sitting atop separated by an Auralex pad. The contraption itself works nicely as it is self-contained and the speaker is at a good listening height.

Now the bad. The only, and I mean only logical place to put this rack is in the corner, facing out at a perfect 45 degrees.

Assuming you had to place a bass enclosure in such a position, what would you do to mitigate the acoustic challenges based on this location?

The solution doesn't have to be studio perfect. I'm looking for good enough from a sound perspective, aesthetically minimal, and moderate (not cheap) in cost.

Thanks in advance!

2. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    What's the cab? Rear ported? Sealed? Boomy? Bright?

3. DigitalMan

Nov 30, 2011
    It’s a Mesa Subway 112. Front port, and neither boomy nor bright.

4. Wasnex

Wasnex

Dec 25, 2011
    How does it sound? Cab is already elevated...that's my first trick. Use some parametric EQ to compensate for the low frequency gain you get from corner loading.

5. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Then all I've got is tuck away your OCD and don't make it a perfect 45 degree angle. Turn it away from the opposite corner.

Habe you tried it yet? It might not even be an issue.

6. DigitalMan

Nov 30, 2011
    I dunno man, I'm pretty attached to my OCD.

Thankfully the room is a fairly long rectangle, so the opposite corner isn't likely to be much of an issue.

Generally speaking the corner doesn't sound bad. It's more the desire to neutralize any major impact the corner is having at a room level as opposed to a gear level. Anything I do with gear to compensate will ultimately find its way into a recording line-in as well. It'd be nice to have a starting point closer to neutral. Not a big deal, but once all the big deals are taken care of I like to also tackle the little deals.

two fingers likes this.
  7. Wasnex

Wasnex

Dec 25, 2011

Are you planning to mic the cab or take a feed from you signal chain? If it's the latter, can you apply the room compensation EQ late in your signal path...I.E. post DI?

Last edited: Jan 31, 2019
  8. DigitalMan

Nov 30, 2011
    It would be DI.

Thanks

9. Wasnex

Wasnex

Dec 25, 2011

I don't really know much about bass traps and given your description I have to wonder if there would be room, as I believe bass traps tend to be large. Basically this is why I suggested post DI room compensation EQ.

Perhaps this thread and its OP would be a resource if you are interested in acoustic treatment: My New Studio Build (perhaps overly detailed)

DigitalMan likes this.
  10. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    OP of that thread here: Bass traps do tend to be large, but most commercial corner traps tend to be about 23" along the face. That's not TOO much space (hopefully), but it's not a tiny footprint either.

My suggestion would be to stuff as many corners, principally the one directly behind the cab, with bass trapping, and then compensate with some high pass filtering to reduce the low frequency build-up associated with corner placement of a cab.

DigitalMan and Wasnex like this.
  11. AboutSweetSue

AboutSweetSue

Sep 29, 2018
    Lebanon, TN
    Nobody puts bass in the corner!

Microbass likes this.
  12. Bassheart365

Bassheart365 Supporting Member

Oct 19, 2014
    Northern California
    "A good bassist determines the direction of any band." - Ron Carter
    I use 2 Auralex Gammas with great success, anytime I'm dealing with a wood floor or stage. It also seems to lessen the corner effect.
    auralex G.

DigitalMan likes this.
  13. hbarcat

hbarcat Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2006
    Rochelle, Illinois
    If your studio is a fairly long rectangle, your highest priority is to have as much absorption as possible at the end of the room opposite your bass cab. I'd get at least 2 bass traps and place them in the corners at the far end of the studio close to the ceiling.

Also, try this budget minded sound absorber if you can do it. Place a bookshelf at the far wall and fill it with books. It seems like this wouldn't do much but it's actually very effective at killing reflections and minimizing boominess in a room. Plus, you can show off your intellectual prowess by selecting books that make you look smart for reading them. :D

Last edited: Feb 7, 2019
    DigitalMan likes this.
  14. guts

guts

Aug 13, 2018
    Have you actually determined that you have a real problem yet by trying it out? I wouldn't spend a cent until I had tried it out and found that I really do hear a specific problem that needs to be addressed that can't be fixed in a daw.

Wasnex likes this.
  15. Cownancy

Cownancy Beginner as of 1/2019 Supporting Member

Instead of paying for acoustic foam, you can build gobos in any size to either affix to or in front of the corner, or place behind the rack (with enough room for ventilation). Get some burlap, house insulation, a staple gun and some 1x4s. Built a frame, STUFF it full of insulation, wrap it in burlap and staple that burlap to the frame. If you want to make it fancy, you can put a thin layer of wood around the frame so you don't see the staples and it looks more "finished". This should help do some sound damping (dampening is when you wet something) and might help a little in moving the sound waves to avoid the problem of a square or rectangular room cancelling out frequencies. I used these in my rectangular rooms in my little rehearsal studio in Virginia and we had tons of them at Power Station when we were doing isolation in the big rooms. They are cheap and work very well. If you are putting them on a corner wall, you might be able to do a 1x3? The ones I make look horrible cause I am not much of a woodworker. I BET you could also try making a tube shaped burlap case over house insulation. Be sure to wear a mask / gloves unless you want to itch forever and, when possible, do the creating outside.