1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Dean Basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by flakeh, Jul 22, 2007.

1. flakeh

flakeh Banned

Apr 21, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Hey everyone, Just wondering, whats your opinions on Dean basses?

I saw a really nice dean metalman ML2A for sale at a local shop for 450$. Is this good?bad?

2. afinalfantasy

afinalfantasy Banned

Jan 11, 2006
    I think Dean basses aren't that great to be honest. I'd go for a Fender personally, but that's just me

3. flakeh

flakeh Banned

Apr 21, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    explain your reasoning? what makes then not so great?

4. I've played quite a few of them. The only ones that really interested me are the Bromberg Editions. I had a 5 string and just picked up a 4 string from a fellow TB. IMHO, they are the most versatile modern jass bass in their price range.

5. flakeh

flakeh Banned

Apr 21, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    So then your saying they're OK then, right?

*edit* Or, is there any good basses that look like the
    Metalman ML?

6. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I had an Edge 5 and it was a great bass. I'd buy Dean again.

7. Ive got a Dean Z Tour bass (Explorer style) and I really like it. Does it play or sound as good as my Spectors? No. But, it also didnt cost as much. But for what they do cost, I think theyre pretty nice basses. I havent found one I didnt like. THey generally have thin fast necks.

As far as the Metalman series, $450 sounds pretty high. Check the web for prices. Most all the retailers carry the series. You can also find tons of info on the Dean Forum. Actually, the guys on there tend to like the pickups in the Metalman better than the EMG HZs.

8. flakeh

flakeh Banned

Apr 21, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    thanks for the info!:)

BTW its 450CDN which is about 400 or so USD. I'm also pretty sure it comes with a case.

As for them being less expensieve, thats why I'm buying one. My thunderbird stays in drop-d down a step (FCGC) and i need another bass for standard and drop-d, so this will be it.

9. John Wentzien

John Wentzien

Jun 25, 2007
    Elberta, AL
    Artist:TC Electronic RH450 bass system (original test-pilot)
    Good "bang -for -the -buck" I think.

10. ROON

ROON

Aug 5, 2006
    Sydney, Australia
    I've always been very interested in one of these:

http://www.deanguitars.com/z_tour_bass.htm

I want an explorer bass, and the Epi ones apparently aren't that good. Whats the best thing to do with a cheapo Dean, replace the electronics and stuff, or just leave them as they are?

11. Ayliffe

Ayliffe

May 8, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    my friend has a dean vendetta four string and i think it plays as well as my thumb... its fantastic, looks great too.

12. Ayliffe

Ayliffe

May 8, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    get the warwick stryker if you ahve the money :p

13. ROON

ROON

Aug 5, 2006
    Sydney, Australia
    I wish. :rolleyes:

14. The Z Tour has the same pickups as the Spector Rebop. THe EMG HZs, so it doesnt sound bad at all out of the box. I havent changed anything on mine. Might put on a set of flats to get a bit more warmth, but thats it. Im not sure itr would make a great studio bass but for live, its awesome.

Something to look into though, cases are not easy to find. Dean cases are made by TLK I think, and even Dean doesnt know when they will be available again for the Explorer.

15. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    FWIW my passive Edge 5 fretless with EMG-HZ pickups recorded extremely well!

16. Stondis

Stondis

Feb 12, 2005
    England
    I have a Rhapsody 12 string. It's uh... a little unwieldy.

:D
    To be honest I need to put more time in with it and wear it a bit higher!
    Stupidly and pointlessly I find it has a really good sound when you (I) play it fingerstyle (i.e. only hitting the bass strings and not hitting the treble strings) so I would be interested in trying a more sane Dean bass, had my eye on a 5 string Rhapsody on Ebay for a while...

Attached Files:

• dp.
      dp.jpg
      File size:
      20.5 KB
      Views:
  17. Not to hijack the thread but, Where are you from in Nova Phil?

18. ROON

ROON

Aug 5, 2006
    Sydney, Australia
    What's the fretwork like on the Dean Z Tour? Some of the enlarged photo's of low-end Dean basses look like they have shocking fretwork. Especially on the Razorback.

19. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    I've never played a Dean I liked...though I had some fun with a Rhapsody 8 string, but it wasn't a great player!

I'd really like to try a Jeff Berlin model though, they look and sound excellent!