Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Dean Jeff Berlin Exotic Signature

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MrWalker, Sep 25, 2005.

1. MrWalker

MrWalker Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2002
    Norway
    If anyone has any experience with this bass, I'd love to hear about it! It's the one with tigerwood top, ash body, badass bridge and bart pups.

[​IMG]

PS! This is a crosspost between www.ebassist.com and www.talkbass.com. Hopefully I'll get some response both places! :)

2. Andy Brown

Andy Brown Supporting Member

Jul 23, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Founder: Wing Bass
  3. MrWalker

Apr 3, 2002
    Norway

That's a pretty good revew, and the Exotic has higher grade materials. I'm a little bit concerned about the pickup placement. I'm sure it gives great sound variation, but I'm a little worried it will make it harder to pop/slap on it.

Any experience appreciated! :)

4. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    If that bass sounds like my Peavey Palaedium (and it damn well should), popping and slapping are going to sound poor on it. Sounds incredible with a pick, fingers, or tapped, but slapping and popping are not good on the Berlin designed basses. IMO of course.

FWIW I've read that the Peavey Palaedium is significantly superior to any of the Dean Berlin signature basses. I've never tried one of these Deans but I've been very impressed with Dean in general in the past, I used to own an Edge that was great. But the Peavey is absolutely first rate in every way.

5. Andy Brown

Andy Brown Supporting Member

Jul 23, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Founder: Wing Bass
    I find slapping and popping easy and sounding pretty good on my Palaedium, however I had a graphite neck made for mine. That could be the difference.

6. Ben Rose

Ben Rose

Jan 12, 2004
    Oakland
    I played one. The bridge pickup tone was killer, but I was not to fond of the neck pickup. A little hollow/poorly placed for my tastest. Fingerstyle playability was excellent.

7. MrWalker

Apr 3, 2002
    Norway
    I'm a bit torn... I've got two pretty good deals on my hand, one is this Dean Jeff Berlin Exotic, with a zebra wood top, and the other is an old and pretty well-used Jazz bass (assembled by one of our local top guys, either using his own parts, Warmoth parts, or a combination). Seems most people i've talked to recommend the Jazz, but it also seems the Dean is a great and fast player. And I was primarily looking for a fast bass...

It's strange how Jeff Berlin is able to create discussions, both regarding his basses and his playing, and not to forget his ego. :D Someone said (on another forum) that if it makes you play like Jeff, go ahead and buy it, while another said "but what if it makes him INTO Jeff"...

Unfortunately I'm not able to test both before buying... I have to decide without seeing them in person. So it's difficult. That's why I ask your experience, gentlemen. :)

Thanks for your input!