Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Dean Pace

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by heath_the_great, Dec 28, 2005.

1. i finally got to play one of these yesterday.....admittidly through a behringer amp, well i was there 5mins before closing and it was the only amp plugged in..but it felt and sounded really good, i played the 4 string, the 5 string was in the case next to it but the 4 was cool...really comfortable..only thing is that they put half-wounds on it :meh: would be alot better with flats....but it was really good...of course i need alot of practise with the whole fretless thing, but it was pretty good..$1500aus retail, nice lookin case too

2. psi

psi

Mar 11, 2005
    New Jersey
    How did it sound compared to an upright?

3. nothing like..lol....but i spose thats because it had half-wounds on it, was really bright and zingy...still had the uprightish thump, but was zingy in this case, old flatwounds would sound real good on it....but my only real experience playing an upright was at my old school, had one from the 50's and the action was reeeeaaaaalllllyyyy high and the fingerboard fell off years and years ago and was glued on rather dodgy

4. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I played one of these. It had flats on it and sounded okay. More like an upright than a normal fretless bass, but not quite there.

5. just went and played it again....what can i say..it was calling my name..plugged it into an ashdown combo.....and what can i say....move over marcus miller jazz bass :D ...it sounded really good...with flats i can imagine it'll be better...but it felt rather nice and i had a play around with the stand and you can get it really comfortable and the ball joint makes it easy to move around.....i cant wait to get mine...the case it comes in is really good...halfway between gig bag and hard case...the bass itself doesnt move around at all

6. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    I played one in a store. Lots of fun. Had nice flats on it.
    Felt really, really, really good, and sounded pretty good, too.
    Setup on the one I tried was like buttuh.

And, you can't beat the portability of it.

7. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    THe one i tried had pretty high action but im sure it coulda been easily lowered. Never judge anytthing by the store setup.

8. westland

westland

Oct 8, 2004
    Hong Kong

+1

I tried 2 different Paces at Ed Roman's in LV and was impressed that this is the easy way to get into DB. It does have some of the bloom of a DB, and it is a lot easier to play ... the strings are positioned like a fretless, and the fingerboard is flatter

9. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Yea the fingerboard radius confused me at first but it was cool.

10. GSRLessard14

GSRLessard14 All-Things-Claypool Enthusiast

Jun 23, 2005
    Newington, CT
    Can't play 'em with a bow though right?

11. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    Right.

12. Dkerwood

Dkerwood

Aug 5, 2005
    Midwest
    The fingerboard is way too flat, but you could probably fake it by widely adjusting the bridge... That's my guess, anyway...

13. metalbob

metalbob

Aug 2, 2004
    so california
    :bassist: :hyper: :cool:

Got mine about about 2 weeks ago and I love it!!!!!! neck is a bit thick and the stand is pretty cool lots of adjustment possiabilities waiting for some new flats thou stock strings suck!!!

14. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    As an URB player I was actually offended that they call this an EUB. It's basically a fretless bass without a body on a stick. 35" scale, I'll admit is much easier to get used to than a 41.5" scale, but the tone, the feel, and the way you play it is so much closer to an electric bass than an upright.

15. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    What were the stock strings?

16. westland

westland

Oct 8, 2004
    Hong Kong
    +1

Dean's site says that one of their engineers built the prototype from a stock Dean fretless. But it does get a lot closer to an EUB tone than a fretless IMO (I own a Dean Edge fretless, and the Pace has a much more EUB sound, though not the full bloom of a 40+ inch scale)

17. and id go out on a limb and say its more aimed at electric bassists who really want a cheap, entry level "electric upright" to either muck around on or who will use it occasionally and want something portable than something like an ns eub which costs and arm, a leg and a testicle that is aimed at the professional who will use it a hell of a lot...i mean, thats the main reason im attracted to the dean..sounds great, feels great, only a little more expensive than a mexi fender, and im only playing covers gigs...and its portable!....plus i only have a daihatsu charade...a UBass is bigger than my car :p

the bowing thing aint too much of a loss anyway...im gonna be using it for some upright funk :p ....im gonna get an ebow when i buy it, so that should be fun.....

my actual inspiration for buying it is that theres a few songs where it'll sound great and ill wanna solo with it heaps..so ill have the pace setup, my ksd strapped on, plug them both into an a/b box right at the start of my pedal board, then say im playing betterman or zebra by john butler, on the dean and i wanna solo on the ksd, i hit the a/b and play away on the ksd....or vice versa im playing hey ya by outkast on the ksd and i wanna solo on the dean, i swing the ksd behind me ala stanley clarke :D hit the a/b at the same time and start soloin on the dean...great idea huh :hyper:

18. psi

psi

Mar 11, 2005
    New Jersey
  19. metalbob

metalbob

Aug 2, 2004
    so california

Just some real cheesey flatwounds that felt real sick since replaced with some long scale plus GHS stainless steel flatwounds ahh much better feelling as well as sounding
    :hyper: :bassist: :D