1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Dean Playmate ABG weak output

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by tdogg, Oct 15, 2009.

1. tdogg

tdogg

Jan 17, 2001
    Brooklyn Park, MN
    i recently bought a used Dean playmate acoustic bass. the unplugged sound is great but the passive piezo that is installed in this thing is weak and nearly useless. any thoughts on what i can do to improve the plugged in sound? can i use a piezo and active pre intended for a regular acoustic? what about the magnetic soundhole pickups that are used for regular acoustics? thanks in advance!

2. MNAirHead

MNAirHead Supporting Member

Been down the long road..

Look for a $200 Ibanez AEB

Not busting on you - trying to help you avoid stress and hassle.

3. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

Nov 15, 2007
    Chicago
    I've had the same problem - but my E string cuts nicely, and all the others are gone completely from the mix when it's plugged in.

I've read these Piezos can shift placement or get dirt or dust underneath them and it will cut your signal significantly. I just haven't taken it in to a tech yet to find out actually what's happening there. I got my Dean AEB for $90, so I can't really complain.

4. tdogg

tdogg

Jan 17, 2001
    Brooklyn Park, MN
    yeah i got mine NEARLY new with a case for $150. so im def not complaining. i would just like to take it to jazz band practice once in a while. (and still be heard, we have ma 9 peice brass section)

5. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

Nov 15, 2007
    Chicago
    Best bet would probably be to take it in to a tech and possibly have them replace the pickup. I tried taking a look at mine and decided I have no business trying to mess with that pickup as they're pretty delicate I've heard. :meh:

There was a dude on here who had a diagram of how to adjust the PU so it functions properly, but I can't seem to find it.

6. daofktr

daofktr irritating, yet surly

Feb 15, 2005
    aurora, IN
    Subscribed.
    I just received the same bass as a gift from a guy in one of my bands...!!!
    I'm also interested in what can be retrofitted, since this is my first ABG.

7. thedrummer

thedrummer

Aug 5, 2009
    My Dean EAB Fretless Acoustic/Electric had the same problem. There was very little output coming from the G string. I just removed the strings and the plastic saddle piece on top of the bridge, to expose the piezo. I noticed that it needed just a little more slack to reach the G string side of the cavity, so I just pulled a little more of the piezo out. It was an easy fix...no more output problems. Just make sure the piezo is totally flat when you replace the plastic saddle.

8. Had one. Ripped out the stock crap and installed a K&K. Worked good. But the basic problem is the axe, itself.