Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Dean Sledgehammer review

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by kingbrutis, May 31, 2005.

1. kingbrutis

kingbrutis

Aug 10, 2003
    Phoenix AZ
    I know Dean has a bad rep around here, but I have to tell you, I love my new sledgehammer. I know, it looks like a Warwick. It is so light. It sounds so clean and way better than my Music Man sub 5 (even with the SD pick up) did. I sold the MM the day I got the Dean. It is probley 4 lbs lighter than the MM and the feel is awesome. I cant wait to play on stage with it. We have a gig next Thursday and I'll let you know how it goes. The have a blond that will be out in June. Can't wait. Later Joe

2. kingbrutis

kingbrutis

Aug 10, 2003
    Phoenix AZ
    Heres a pic. You can buy a new one on the bay for $450. Its a steal. Joe

3. KeithPas

KeithPas

May 16, 2000
    Poulsbo,Wa
    How would you describe the tone? Is it similar to a Ray?

4. kingbrutis

kingbrutis

Aug 10, 2003
    Phoenix AZ
    The blond. I guess it will go for around $650. It will be a very limited run. Pic is from NAMM. Later Joe

5. KeithPas

KeithPas

May 16, 2000
    Poulsbo,Wa
    That blonde is very cool looking. I just bought a new bass in the price range of the Sledgehammer and I was considering the Sledgehammer but I already have a Stingray 5 and I did'nt want to get something that was too similar in tone to that. I may just get one after all.

6. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    LOL! They made that blonde at my request! Truth be told, the 2 that they sent me started falling apart at the bridge, and the trussrod punched through the neck behind the headstock. I hope yours treat you right.

7. kingbrutis

kingbrutis

Aug 10, 2003
    Phoenix AZ
    Sad to hear that. I wonder if it was first run errors or if they are just not made very well. I have been playing a Dean Euro for about a year now without a single problem. The tone is great. Did Dean take care of the problem? Did they treat you right? How much heavier was the blond than the mohagany? Thanks Joe

8. watspan

watspan Supporting Member

Nov 25, 2002
    madison, wi
    kingbrutis: didn't you buy that dean edge 4 improv from ebay a while back? How do you like it? I love mine--I think its a tremendous value! That said, Dean does make some lower cost basses that i wouldn't touch--tried one of the $150 evo xm or some such thing and it felt like a $150 dollar bass. For those that trash dean, or any brand, you can't judge a whole brand by one cheap (or expensive) model--you have to evaluate each model for it's worth to you.

9. clanner

clanner Token Black Guy.

Apr 27, 2005
    ummmmm, marietta GA
    would you guys suggest buying one for 300-350 ish? I can get one at my local music store.

10. kingbrutis

kingbrutis

Aug 10, 2003
    Phoenix AZ
    Thats a great price for a new or slightly used one. Like i said before, I sold my Music Man because I juts fell in love with the feel and tone. Did I mention how light it is? I know some guys like a heavy bass, not me. Just go play it.

watspan, yes I still have my Improv. That is an awesome bass as well. The neck is just to die for. I wish it had a couple of big humbuckers, but the emg's are very nice as well. It is more of an all around bass. I dont use it as much because I play hardcore music and use alot of my b string. I would like to re-string the Improv BEAD but I dont want to file the nut. Anyway, nothing but good things to say about Dean basses from here. Now, if I can just get an endorsement, I'll be set. Later Joe

11. There was one of those in a guitar shop (where I actually just got a job) that I played around with for a while. I really liked it. I figured it was just a cheesy Warwick knock-off, but the sound was really nice. Lots of zing, and a really good slap sound. Is the preamp boost only or is there just no center detent?

12. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Dean doesn't have a bad rep with me. I've loved everything I've picked up by them, and my Edge 5 was a great bass for many years.
    Was it a NAMM demo? Sometimes those are throw-togethers just to get a feel for the market and show what something is going to look like, not an attempt to make a real salable product.

13. Bassic83

Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    I have a Dean Brian Bromberg. I love it- it's my main bass. I can go from ultra-modern to pseudo-upright with a couple knob twists. I love the piezos in the bridge, and even though mine was a "second", they actually had Bob Mick (designer of the bass), give me a call when I had a technical issue. Great folks, their upper-end stuff is awesome. Their tech support is great as well.

14. i know this is slightly off topic :p ...but is it a very jazz bass kinda sound

15. Bassic83

Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    It can be- turn off the piezo blend, and you are running a jazz bass setup. I have Barts in mine- the stock ones are OK, but I really like the sound a whole lot better with Barts. That's what Brian runs in his, so good enough for me.
    Of course, you do have a 3-band EQ on the J's, and two band in the cavity for the piezos. Brian recommends running the piezos at full pop on the EQ, but I had to back down the treble about halfway to keep the highs tamed. Got tired of blood running down my neck from the pierced eardrums... ;)
    If you're thinking of getting one, you won't be disappointed once you learn what all the knobs do. I highly recommend the B2-5...it's a MO'FO'!!! :D :D :D :D

16. well i love the looks of it, and the whole cutaway idea :D ......im gettin a 4 string definately next and i was considering a KSD 70's 4 string, but the BB kept on poppin up in my head, once i found out the price im even more tempted...i was gonna chuck some barts in the next bass i got anyway.....mmmmmmm..transparent amber

end of the year :bassist:

oh, also looking at brians basses on his website, i love that all white one with the MM style Bart Pup...so sexy

17. Bassic83

Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    I've been privileged to play a few of Brian's basses, and the white one you refer to was his main synth piccolo. His original brown bass (no longer on the site) was his first one, actually he made it from a Moses graphite neck and carved up a Jazz body (Warmoth?) to do it. I can honestly say that his upright is set up better than any I have ever played- truly effortless, and it speaks! I've played his purple one, and the figured maple fretless. All incredible works of art! :)