Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

dean stylist cabbie : size

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by fil, Dec 25, 2005.

1. fil

fil

Dec 18, 2005
    hello everybody,

i have been looking around for a new bass,
    i have seen an dean stylist (cabbie). i haven't played on one
    because there is hardly ant dealer around. (i live in europe).
    so what i want to ask is: do the cabbie and the non-cabbie have the same body ? because some pictures suggest that that is not the case.

and if they are: how big are they actually ? can somebody give met the measures of the body so that i have an idea.
    and is it heavy or not ?
    i know these are strange questions but if the body is to big or it is to deep (distance from the back to the top) then i don't want it. it's a pitty because you can find them here at 390 euro and dean has a reputation of making good value for money.

thanx a lot guys
    greetings fil

2. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    Since you are not near any Dean dealers,contact Mick Donner of Dean guitars at
    mick2@deanguitars.com

(do not lose patience because with the winter NAMM show being next month it may take a while for him to get back to you).

3. fil

fil

Dec 18, 2005
    okee, that's just what i'll do,

i will post the answer so that you all know what to expect.
    thanx

4. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
  5. fil

fil

Dec 18, 2005
    well i know the size, and the bass is big, very big
    it is 1.21 cm long
    it is 12 cm deep
    it is 43 cm wide

it doesn't make much sound unplugged and absolutly needs an amp (that is what the store told me)

voila, : too big for me, that's for shure.

6. It does have a comfortable neck you know.

I played one unplugged for a few minutes in a store and the neck felt fast and good. It felt just like a jazz neck. But as you said, it is big. And although it's big it did seem like a nice bass for the price.

7. bmc

bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Switzerland
    I played one in a shop in London last week. Very nice bass. I'll get one someday.

8. X Wolf

X Wolf Guest

I found the neck to be a bit too wide, a tad chunky and the fingerboard too flat and IMHO not very Jazz Bass like. Soundwise not bad at all, just not a tone I could use. On the plus side I heard somewhere that Brian Bromberg enjoyed using one on a recent recording. Overall I would have to rate it as a cool looking reasonably well made bass but, all things including price point considered, a nice and interesting Bass, just not for me.

George

9. im seriously considering one of the dean stylist cabbies, i think they look amazeing. theres a few places that sell them in europe ive seen one going for £291 after tax some where on the net.