1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Debating putting a preamp into my T-40

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by pkatzman, Mar 3, 2008.

1. pkatzman

pkatzman

Sep 28, 2007
    Atlanta, GA
    So, I really like my T-40. I love the neck, for one, and the vintage look to it. The versatility in tone is amazing for a passive bass, as others here have commented before.

Anyway, I've both played and heard a number of friends' active basses recently, and it feels as though they take the aspect of flexibility a higher degree, perhaps? I also wouldn't mind being able to further tweak/enhance my sound without having to necessarily do that on my amp.

I've read a lot of good things about Audere preamps, especially so their "clarity" and ability to not really color the sound of the pickups too much. Given that I really like the tone of my T-40's pickups, that quality would be good, no? I was reading up on them a bit, tonight, and started to wonder about how to integrate them with the existing controls on the bass. I think I'll need to just call or email them and ask them about it tomorrow.

At any rate, can anyone with more experience with preamps than me comment on this being a good idea or not? Good/bad testimonies on Auderes?

EDIT: Oops, I'm sorry. Got some windows of mine mixed up and put it in the wrong forum. Can one of the mods please move this?

2. Personally, I wouldn't touch my T-40. I'd rather have a second, active bass. There are plenty of active Peavey's out there that ban be picked up for very reasonable prices.

3. kevmc28

kevmc28

Feb 28, 2008
    Somerset, NJ, USA
    I agree. Be nice to your T-40. Don't anger the bass gods.

4. Or....simply get a preamp that allows/can be wired for active/passive bypass...that way, yo uhave all the active options, but can switch back to passive for the original T-40 sound....

Jamie

5. Saturday

Saturday

Jan 10, 2008
    personally, all the times i played an active bass, i discovered that it sounded a bit more *natural* with the pre-off. of course it's a personal preference (lots of active bass players here) but, imho, i will leave it stock. as other said, just buy another active bass if you want that tone.

6. pkatzman

pkatzman

Sep 28, 2007
    Atlanta, GA
    Well, part of it's just that I don't want to buy another bass - for one it'd bring my total up to 5, and I'm not trying to take that many to college. It just feels like it'd be more efficient to modify a bass to get the sound you want instead of buying an entirely new one...

7. buzzbass

buzzbass Shoo Shoo Retarded Flu !

Apr 23, 2003
    NJ
    how about a Sadowsky outboard pre-amp. Problem solved, and no mods done to the T-40

8. lug

lug

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx
    best advice on the interwebs right there.

9. pkatzman

pkatzman

Sep 28, 2007
    Atlanta, GA
    I suppose that's not a bad idea, I'll look into it. I still think I might end up preferring a preamp built into the bass itself in terms of ease of use/clutter, but we'll see. Price definitely factors in as well.

10. Rugaar

Rugaar

Apr 11, 2007
    wisconsin
    I like my T-40 stock but if you want a built-in active pre-amp (and it sounds like you do) then go for it. My only suggestion would be don't do anything that's not reversible.

Be sure to let us know how it turns out if you do it.