Decent Home Recording Setup

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by J4KO, Mar 4, 2006.

1. Currently I have:
    Roland TD-6 Electric Drum Kit
    Lakland 55-02 Bass
    1983 USA Made Fender Stratocaster

What more would I need other than a good sound card to start a decent home recording system

Also.. will I need good amps??
  2. Correlli

Apr 2, 2004
    New Zealand
    You could use a Sansamp TRI-AC Guitar preamp and record direct. I've got one, and it's pretty good. You won't have to stuff around with guitar amps and microphones.

If you're just going to use a sound card, you might need a 2 channel microphone preamp as well.

As for recording bass, I've heard good things about Demeter DI boxes. You'll need a good XLR cable for that too.

You'll need a multi-track recording software like Adobe Audition.
  3. hyperlitem

hyperlitem Guest

Jul 25, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    get an mbox 2, you should be pretty covered for a while
  4. CetiAlphaVI

May 27, 2005
    Does your soundcard have an ADAT/TosLink input? If so, get a mic preamp that also has this type of output as well as a limiter. You don't want to clip the gain on digital input. If you are also doing vocals, get an inexpensive, but decent LDC, such as the Studio Projects C-1.
    Your soundcard will probably come with some inexpensive (free, but limited) recording software. I recommend Mackie Tracktion. It comes with a lot of free plugins including some guitar cab sims, and mastering tools.
  5. jokke_v

Aug 15, 2003
    Bergen, Norway
    My (band's) recording setup is quite similar, really..

The drummer in my band has a Roland TD-6, and we've used that for recording.
    Here's a tip for ya. Don't use the sounds from the TD-6 for the drums. Get a midi interface (I've got this one and it works great), and record the midi signal from the drums. Then get either Drumkit From Hell Superior or BFD, and use one of them for the drum sounds. Both of them are compatible with the TD-6, so everything is set up and ready to go. I just got BFD, and I have to say that it is absolutely stunning. Really easy to use, and lots of opportunities. And of course, great sound.

For recording bass and guitar I use the Line 6 toneport. It's a really great little box. It's an amp modeler for both guitar and bass. It also has a mic-preamp for recording with a (duh) mic. The guitar amp-models are great, and the bass amps aren't bad either. It also works as a soundcard. It cover's a whole lot.

I'd absolutely reccomend the setup I use for getting good sounds on a budget.