Deeping Wemon (review)

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by chips, Jan 13, 2006.

1. Hey guys

My Ibanez Weeping Demon came in the mail today. woo:hyper:

First up, this thing is huge compared to my v-wah, and feels quite solidly built. Most of its metal which is good. The tones available with this thing is so cool. Ive been looking for an aggressive sounding wah for hard rock, and ive found it. And i can also get some funk outta this too :p

Any one who is worried about low end loss, should not be. I actually have to cut the lows, it has so much, especially on the "bass" mode. I have my bass cut a little bit on my amp, with lo mids boosted, hi mids cut and treble left alone, and i still had to have the loe control right down on the wah. Ive found it sounds more aggressive and better in the "normal" mode with the low boosted just a little bit. seriously, this is deeper and bassier than the dunlop and v-wah that i have played.

The switch feels very sturdy. The foot pedal itself feels quite sturdy, but i would like more tension as i am 6'6" and have massive feet, so it feels light under my size 15 shoe, but most wahs do. The tension on it can be adjusted, and i have it at max and it does just fine. One thing i like ALOT is the tone-lok controls, once youve found the perfect setting, press it in like a button, and it stays inside the pedal and cant be adjusted by a stray toe or something while your playing.

This wah can be used as a switchless wah, or a switched wah, which is a cool option. There is a delay control which you can adjust so that when in switchless mode, you can adjust the amount of time the effect takes to turn off. There is also a spring tension adjuster so that you can adjust it to spring right back, or come back slower when you take your foot off. The spring only works in switchless mode. I, personally prefer to used switched mode, as you can really hear when the effect turns on, and i like to not have the wah turn off if i go too far back with my heel. And hey, theres really no inconvenience hitting the switch, its just a pad right beside the pedal so its quick and easy.

The controls on this pedal were its main selling point for me. I was originally going to get the 105q, but they had none in so i tried the v-wah and got that. Then i was going to get a morley, and found out it only had a volume control so there was no real versatility, plus id heard mixed reviews on the PBA-2. This Pedal has sturdy lever to change from switched to switchless, delay control for the time taken to turn off in switchless, lo control, which boosts low frequencies pretty much, Q and we all know what this does, level- again we know, range fine tuning control- this controls what frequency is used at toe down position so you can have subtle fat type of wah or an edgey trebly wah, or just leave it centred and a "normal" wah sound is yours, a spring tension control and a foot pedal tension control. The delay and range fine tuning controls are a really small black pot, the fine tuning for toe position, is tucked away nicely under the toe of the pedal so it cant be knocked or anything, and the delay is the same deal, but more under the side of the foot pedal. Oh, and i forgot, theres a small switch to change between "normal" wah (for guitar) or "low" wah (for bass/7 string guitars)

Overall, i think this is a great pedal, and the price i go it for makes it greater too. brand new on ebay for $170 AU shipped, this was about $50-$100 cheaper then the other demons on ebay, and much much cheaper than new from a shop. I'm not sure how well it would go for funk, as i havent really tried to get that type of sound out of it yet, but for rock, metal, prog... i thinks its sweets and recomend it.

PS- I believe Bass_Drum will be doing a review on his in this thread when he picks it up, so you'll have 2 peoples views on this pedal
  2. Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    Dude, you said Deeping Wemon!!!!!:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
  3. hehe... yes i know... i meant to :smug:
  4. IcedEarthWOM

Oct 2, 2005
    Dyslexia.... affects 9 out of 10 Balk Tassers ;)
  5. All_¥our_Bass

Dec 26, 2004
    Sad thing is when I read it I SWEAR I saw Weeping Demon :D .
    So subtle, I didn't notice anything was wrong :bag:
  6. bass_drum

Feb 13, 2005
    The pedal was expected this past wednesday but still hasn't shown up. Once I get my pedal I shall put up a review when I can and soundclips aswell (with distortion aswell:p). The problem is my parents are going down to Miami this next week, and I will be staying at a friends so I might not get to play it/review it for a couple weeks. I promise though, the review WILL come...all in good time:rolleyes:
  7. my work here is done:smug:

Anyway. Ive been playing with it more, and im really hapy with the settings and sound ive got out of it. Another thing, this pedal has a really long sweep, and the way it works is cool.... When you have full heel down, you get the sound you expect, as you start to rock forward you can hear it sweeping and it sort of does this peak about halfway where its really mid range-ish / bassy and then keep going to down down. it sort of sounds liike

boooWOOOOaowwww (the capitals being that boost halfway through).

Oh yeh, this things sounds awsime with distortion. Sorry i cant post clips. But i tried
    russian Big Muff > Demon
    Marshall GVII > Demon
    Marshall GVII > Big Muff > Demon.

The muff to demon sounded sweet, everything you would expect. The GVII to demon sounded awsome too (ive already found a spot in my bands song where just the bass with my GVII and drums keep the main groove while everything else drops out, where im going to use it) it was nice and chunky and kept the perfect tone of the guvnor. When i played the guvnor > muff > demon... holy crap. It was just evil. Putting the od in the fuzz just makes this insane high gain fuzzstortion sound, then through the wah... sorry for sterotypes here, but can you say cliff burton?;)

The only thing i had to do was turn my muff and guvnor down (i have them slightly boosted to help cut through 2 guitars) so now theyre at the same volume as when i play clean. With this done, they sounded exactly like they should through a wah. Some times i found the wah can change the distortion a bit, but this kept their tone PERFECTLY.

My settings
    MODE - "normal' wah
    LOW - 1 o'clock
    Q - 3 o'clock
    LEVEL - 2 o'clock
    DELAY- completely rolled off so theres no delay
    FINE RANGE TUNING - 12 o'clock
    and i have it in the switched mode. (after playing it more, somtimes in switchless, you can hear the effect engane, but its not a click like i first thought it was, just the signal being channged... this was one thing i didnt like about the dunlop.. i just sounds weird to MY ears,)

So... i really like this pedal, and hopefully it will be staying with me for a long time.:hyper:

8. Razor

Sep 22, 2002
    Excellent review. I've really been wanting to hear an in-depth review on this unit. I'm always looking for "THE" wah.

I hope you get the audio samples worked out if possible, or anyone else w/ one of these (before I get one that is).

Again, excellent review.
  9. Thanks.

Yeh, unfortunately i have no recording tools. And i just left school (sae recording college) so unfortunately i cant take it in a do a pro recording. But hey, take a trip to a music shop, your bound to find one to try out ;)
  10. Razor

Sep 22, 2002
    That's cool....I just spent a few minutes reading about 40 reviews on several different websites and really can't see anything less than a really great review on it.
  11. yeh, ive read great reviews too. Mainly guiitarists though. Its freakin hard to find a bassists review. The only things that ive seen were one guy claiming it was noisy... ITS NOT. oh yer, another great feature is that is TRUE BYPASS :D And the other problem was the that icedEARTHwom had, where the footswitch broke. But mine seems pretty sturdy (its metal)
  12. Razor

Sep 22, 2002
    you might have already said this and I overlooked it.....kinda weird question, but how does the footplate feel when you're working the wah back and forth? I'm used to Morley wah pedals which are naturally inclined and totally flat...the WD looks a shaped on the footplate.
  13. its flat and naturally on an angle. even toe down the pedal isnt completely horizontal. I just wish there was some more fritction. but it feels very sturdy, and it looks cool with the little cut out parts :p
  14. squarewave

squarewave Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2004
    Iowa City, Iowa USA
    Thank you for the review. I t was well-written and very helpful.
  15. BUMP.... ive managed to record a clip using ye olde reverse headphones technique into goldwave :meh:

Anyway, i dont know how to post it, so.. urmm.. HELP?!
  16. Okay... i think ive worked it out.. hope this works

Guvnor II > Russian Big Muff > Weeping Demon

Thats to try and answer the Cliff tone lovers. Forgive my playing

Attached Files:

17. Okay... So now heres just the demon, and my cr@ppy slapping....:bassist:

Attached Files:

18. okay... now heres just some straight finger playing with a simple groove type line. Oh yeh, i havent changed the settings on the wah throughout these samples.
  19. Tomass

Nov 1, 2005
    hey chips that thing sounds mad, i really want one now.
  20. hehe... yeh.. its pretty sweet ;)