Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Def Leppard

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by NV43345, Mar 4, 2005.

1. NV43345

NV43345

Apr 1, 2003
    I have been on a Def Leppard kick the last couple days. I have all the CD's up to Adrenalize so I went to the local used CD store and picked up:

Retro-Active
    Slang
    Euphoria
    X
    and Vault
    They were all $5.95

I listened to a few tracks off Euphoria on the way back from
    the store and got up to track 6 Paper Sun. I really liked that track.Anyone else into Def Lep an if so any favorites off these
    discs?

Thanx
    "NV"

2. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    I love Def. I got to see them live two augusts ago when they were touring for X. They put on a wicked awesome show! Great band, great music. :D

Ray

3. NV43345

NV43345

Apr 1, 2003
    the last time I saw them live was 88 Hysteria Tour in the round with Tesla. :)

4. Muzique Fann

Muzique Fann Howzit brah

Dec 8, 2003
    Kauai, HI
    High and Dry is great, but Hysteria is timeless. I remember in like 5th or 6th grade scribbling Def Leppard on all my books :ninja:

5. Schwinn

Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    Yeah, Def Lep was my first concert ever. I was probably 14 at the time. Wow...my ears were ringing that night and I was all the way back. DL had some great stuff but I stopped following them after adrenalize - I don't know why.

6. Schwinn

Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    oh by the way. You know how they talk about "flashbulb memories"? I still remember the day hearing about Steve Clark's death on the news. Very vivid memory. Wish I could remember last week that well.

7. Tony Canevaro

Tony Canevaro

Jan 4, 2004
    My first concert too. Very cool! I remember being amazed at the drum playing one armed guy.

8. NV43345

NV43345

Apr 1, 2003

I did the same thing. Adrenalize did not really have any songs I
    liked alot. And after hearing Steve Clark had passed away,I lost interest. But after all these years it has been fun catching up. Vivian Campbell is a great Guitar player. I remember seeing him with Whitesnake in 1988 having a Guitar solo battle with Adrian Vandenbeg.I broke out the home video's this past weekend and watched Def Leppards In the Round,and Historia. :)

9. msquared

msquared

Sep 19, 2004
    Kansas City
    Definitely pick up Hysteria and Pyromania if you can.

I liked Adrenalize a lot. There were some cheesy moments on it, but considering the major change the band had just gone through it sounded better than I'd have expected by far. Plus it had "Tear It Down" on it. :bassist:

I agree that Campbell is really good. He's not Steve Clark, but Steve Clark wasn't Vivian Campbell. It's apples and oranges.

10. LajoieT

LajoieT I won't let your shadow be my shade...

Oct 7, 2003
    Western Massachusetts
    Retro-Active was one of my favorite albums of theirs for a while (once you edit out the repeated tracks) and I kinda liked Slang, but couldn't get into Euphoria or X when they came out (I should give them another listen) But Adrenalize is a FANTASTIC album as well as all their older stuff. Maybe it's time to change the CDs in the car for a while...

11. NV43345

NV43345

Apr 1, 2003
    The wife and I went to a festival this weekend so we took
    the Def Lep CD's with to listen to on the way,and we really
    liked Promises off Euphoria,she was singing along.We really
    did not find any songs we were crazy about on "X". :cool:

12. DougP

DougP

Sep 4, 2001
    Def Leppard was the reason i started playing bass. i am still looking for a Hamer Scarab in white.

i liked everything up til Adrenalize. They were my favorite band of the time. i still think Hysteria is one of the best albums ever, but then i am a closet hair band fanatic also.

13. NV43345

NV43345

Apr 1, 2003
    Some of my other favorite bands from that era:
    Bon Jovi
    Ratt
    Dokken
    Whitesnake
    Motley Crue
    Poison
    L.A. Guns
    G-n-R
    Scorpions
    Skid Row
    Great white :)

14. SirPoonga

SirPoonga

Jan 18, 2005
    Sounds like one of those 80s compelation discs.

15. NV43345

NV43345

Apr 1, 2003
    LMAO...I actually do have a few of those. One of them is called "Metal Meltdown" LOL. :D

16. NV43345

NV43345

Apr 1, 2003
    I listened to pyromania last night for the first time in years.
    The CD case had dust on it. :cool:

17. Little G

Little G

Feb 27, 2003
    Yep I was a big fan of Skid Row, early Bon Jovi, Motely Crue and also Lovehate (got covered in beer at that show... thinking about it I hope it was beer)

18. I've always been intrigued by the bass on Def Leppard albums-
    everything up to Pyromania is real bass (interesting galloping pull-off line on "Overture") but Hysteria onwards nearly everything sounds like sampled+sequenced bass or synth bass (although I think everything on Retroactive is real bass)- the way the harmonics on the bass on, for instance Animal or Let's get rocked change between notes suggests it's sampled bass, and also sampled slides.

Vivian Campbell said in an interview (IIRC in UK's Guitar) that making a Def leppard album is like making sausages- you enjoy the results more if you don't know how they were made- there's no real bass or drums on the recordings.
    (sampled drums on Pyromania onwards)

High & dry is my favourite album of theirs. I love the songs + riffs on Pyromania, Hysteria and Adrenalize but the production (the synthetic drums + overdubbedX1000 backing vocals) spoils it a bit for me.

19. NV43345

NV43345

Apr 1, 2003
    When I play songs like "Women" with that synth type sound
    I tap the open "E" not with my thumb but with the tip
    of my index finger. It's fun and different and I get the tone.
    I play my Def leppard songs on these Basses.

1988 Gibson Explorer & 1986 Hamer Cruise Bass

20. msquared

msquared

Sep 19, 2004
    Kansas City
    Who cares what made the sounds if the music is enjoyable?