1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Defending Davie504 (OMG)b

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by TortoiseBass, Aug 27, 2020.

1. TortoiseBass

TortoiseBass

Aug 26, 2020
    So I know Davie gets a bad rap because of the memes and stuff but I’ve also seen people get mad about his style.

I see a lot of ‘Davie would never be able to play in a band’ or ‘Davie is a one trick pony’ kinda thing and I may be kinda biased because he just released one of my favourite bass solos ever ().

I think Davie shouldn’t get such a bad rap because to make the solos enjoyable and new he has to slap, tap and play multiple other styles. I think he would be able to play in a band very well. Just because he plays like that doesn’t mean he can only play funk. Remember, he’s been playing for 10 years so he probably hasn’t only looked into funk.

In fact, if Davie gets criticised like this then what about Marcus Miller? Flea? And dare I say Victor Wooten. Heck, Jaco wasn’t your typical player. But in my book all these players are brilliant.

So what are your opinions on this? I’d love to hear what you have to say about this or just Davie in general.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2020
  2. TortoiseBass

TortoiseBass

Aug 26, 2020
    Ok I don’t know why it put a B at the end of the title :/

Ikkir, Polish Thunder and design like this.
  3. AxtoOx

AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    You can edit below to the left, I wouldn't have chosen this subject personally.

bolophonic, sonojono and JeroB666 like this.
  4. flojob

flojob Gold Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2011
    I like him. He's fun, and really likes bass, and seems like a nice guy

5. TortoiseBass

TortoiseBass

Aug 26, 2020
    Same. I get a laugh out of his vids. I am liking that he’s uploading more solos now.

6. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Never had a problem with him. Lots of whiners always like to attack successful people. Davie don't care.

7. Reedt2000

Reedt2000 Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2017
    Central New Jersey
    The guy is an entertainer, he has his shtick and he plays to his audience. Maybe people feel like his often goofy videos are a waste of his talent and playing abilities, or they just don't find them funny, but there's a really easy solution to that...

... don't watch. You only have a bazillion other YouTube offerings to pick from. :D

Personally I go through phases of watching a lot to ignoring him. No doubt he can play, and claiming he couldn't play in a band is just silly, he's pretty tight to the loops he plays along with, so I see no reason he wouldn't be so to a drummer.

8. Mister Molina

Mister Molina Mister Molina Supporting Member

Apr 5, 2020
    México
    TBH I see him closer to Pewdiepie than Jaco...

Nashrakh, Ikkir, chanson and 9 others like this.
  9. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    People who say things like that have no idea what they're talking about. Of course he'd be fine in a band. And in many cases he'd be the best one in the band. But when somebody sees someone play that well and they comment that they couldn't play in a band, it's usually because they themselves can't play in a band and are jealous.

10. TortoiseBass

TortoiseBass

Aug 26, 2020
    Oh yeah obviously I wasn’t comparing him to Davie, I’m just saying neither of them are/were regular players for their respective times and he gets hate for a soloist style which I find irrational.

11. gigetto

gigetto

Sep 25, 2019
    Italy
    I like very muck Davide Biale from Savona,he's one of the most intuitive, original and creative bass players in the world. But He started well with bass videos now He made different videos not all bass focused.

kodiakblair and birminghambass like this.
  12. I don't have an issue with the guy, but it's not my cup of tea and you're not comparing the same thing at all, IMO.

Davie makes a living by making videos of himself noodling at home.

The others make (of have made) their living writing music and touring the world with bands to perform in front of audiences. Not the same deal at all. Yes, his technical mastery of the instrument is impressive, but it's all he has, and that's uninteresting to me.

Les Fret, Astronaut and Ikkir like this.
  13. wraub

wraub

Apr 9, 2004
    ennui, az
    He often comes across a a "loud presenter with a skill" rather than a "musician presenter", imo.
    At times, it may as well be a cooking show with a colorfully divisive personality for a host- like Gordon Ramsay, but with a bass.
    It's about the host, not the bass... as such, some may not pay as much attention to the bass as to the host, and lose sight of the fact that he can really play.

His videos can be amusing, but but they often overwhelm with edits and youtube "pizzazz" and his shtick can get tiresome, imo.

I might usually watch a video or two, and then not watch any for months.

Ikkir and TerribleTim68 like this.
  14. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    I find him annoying. I'm sure he'd play fine in a band.

15. Peteyboy

Peteyboy

Apr 2, 2018
    Los Angeles
    If being annoying prevented bass players from joining bands I'd have had no work at all.

16. Yonni

Yonni

Oct 31, 2016
    Scotland
    I have an opinion on his style but my opinion is irrelevant. He does what he wants to do. That’s admirable. He’s a better player than I am too. I choose not to watch his videos, probably because they make me feel inadequate, but partly because of the slap. He got a laugh out of my kids with his folding quadruple neck at least!

And of course he could play in a band.

Live and let live.

17. Steadfast

Steadfast Supporting Member

Sep 28, 2015
    Search Me
    The dude found a way to make a living playing bass! Good on him! I bet he makes more than I do as a lawyer. I am impressed by his ingenuity alone. But, he kicks butt on bass as well.

18. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton My P doesn’t have flats or tort Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Philly Suburbs
    This. I'm sure most people find him much more off putting than his style of playing.

Jazz Ad, Persona87, petrus61 and 2 others like this.
  19. MD-BassPlayer

MD-BassPlayer Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    I believe the rule of thumb is that you get around $2-3 / 1000 views on YouTube. Do the math on his view counts and you'll see a dude that's making a lot more from his bedroom than 80% of talk bass combined.

20. lucas303

lucas303

Mar 11, 2019
    Colorado
    I tried watching one of his videos and couldn't handle the editing/production. Unwatchable.

He's very obviously a skilled player, though.

teh-slb likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Nov 23, 2020