1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Delay pedal?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by km1110, Jun 9, 2012.

1. km1110

km1110

Mar 28, 2010
    Hey all-anybody have recommendations for a delay pedal? Tried a boss dd-5 and a digitech also and it almost seems as if they aren't reacting to the bass frequencies. Any thoughts or input would be greatly appreciated. Thnx-Kevin

2. MonkeyBass

MonkeyBass

Mar 22, 2009
    Denver, CO
    Line 6 DL4 is amazing.

3. topo morto

topo morto

Mar 22, 2010
    Lloegyr
    That seems odd. You mean there's bass missing in the repeats?

4. mouthmw

mouthmw

Jul 19, 2009
    Croatia
    Echo Park.

5. miiitch

miiitch

Nov 27, 2011
    Germany
    TC flashback :hyper:

thereĀ“s an extra toneprint for reduced lowend in the delays, the 2290 and maybe analog preset should have almost flat response in the lower range

6. Rob Fossil

Rob Fossil

Jul 24, 2011
    Northeast, USA
    EQD Disaster Transport or Disaster Transport Jr. The full size version adds modulation for tape echo wobble. It is a analog-ish sounding pedal that is darkly voiced. I also had a Guyatone MD-3 that also worked well on bass. In fact, I think Justin Meldel-Johnsen used to velcro an MD-3 onto his bass for on the fly tweakage.

7. dmccuiston

dmccuiston mediocre post-rock bass person Supporting Member

Jul 24, 2011
    RVA
    MXR Carbon Copy does a beautiful job as an analog delay. Really nice dark tones and smooth decay on the repeats.

8. Unrepresented

Unrepresented Something Borderline Offensive

Jul 1, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    Seems most bassists would actually prefer some low end roll off on the repeats, because otherwise it'd get muddy really quick as the repeats stack and you continue to play over it.

9. MostlyBass

MostlyBass Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Oak Park, IL
    I really like my Akai Headrush - and it's a nice looper. I've owned the Hardwire delay and really liked the sound. The MXR Carbon Copy sounds amazing and I think would be a great addition to any setup - I'd like to add one even with my Akai. I did a gig with my HeadRush last night and was very pleased. Sounds great and VERY flexible. Plus large knobs that are easy to tweak on the fly.

10. dmccuiston

dmccuiston mediocre post-rock bass person Supporting Member

Jul 24, 2011
    RVA
    I am running the Akai Headrush. I love love love that pedal. It's a little pricey, but so worth it. I was running a Carbon Copy into it - truly amazing. I switched out my Carbon Copy with a DD-3 as I wanted to use the "hold" feature and get a little of the digital delay tone. (I'm in an ambient, instrumental post-rock project). I will get another Carbon Copy to add back into the mix - oh, the sweetness.

11. MostlyBass

MostlyBass Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Oak Park, IL
    Wow! Two TB'ers completely agree on something!! :)

12. +1, great delay pedal.

13. Man- I wish there were *Bongomania/compression-type* stickies for each popular effect type- delay, chorus, OD/distortion/fuzz, etc. That said, keep in mind delays tend to lean either toward *digital* in character(clean, some say 'sterile' repeats w/little or no progressive degradation on repeats)or *analog(less clear/hi-fi, w/less clarity on the repeats, growing less clear. Often accompanied by self-oscillation/runaway repeats capability).
    I have both types, although most of my digital units have a decidedly *analog* tone/personality.

My current lineup:

Ibanez(Maxon-built)UE-405(delay section essentially an 80's true analog unit): SWEET tone(opinion), VERY easy to SO
    Ibanez EM-5: Digital but believes it's analog- SO/degrading repeats. Also has internal trimpots- way fun to tinker w/if you like noise.
    Digitech FX-91: A limited sampler- digital but somewhat analog-esque; not super clean-sounding, can almost runaway. Funky 2-sec sample/repeat function is slightly amusing.
    DOD PDS-1002: Does much the same as the Digitech in a much larger box. Also has trimpot and a few more controls, but again- not significantly different/better than the Digi.
    Subdecay Proto Series Echbox: A smaller/simpler version of the one I've seen around here- digital, w/a very convincing analog sound. Can go into sel-osc, but the repeats seem to roll off all but high freq's. HECKA fun to tweak w/feet on the fly.

I doubt you'll get the chance to try most of these but thought I'd try to actually contribute for a change. On my way back to OT now.. :cool:

14. DeltaPhoenix

DeltaPhoenix Supporting Member

Apr 6, 2011
    Gainesville,FL
    What is your budget?

15. The old DL-4 is nice- lots of flavors(nice if you want to get a taste of many different types fairly cheaply) and a great dip into the shallow end of looping. Mind you both of these factors tend to work as a *gateway drug* to the magical world of perpetual pedal GAS- at least for me. :D

16. km1110

km1110

Mar 28, 2010
    Wow!!! Thanks to everyone for all the great input! I think I may be leaning to giving the Carbon Copy a try

17. I agree with the earlier posts about the Line 6 DL4. My guitarist friend let me play around with it and it's incredible. However, I did feel like it had almost too many options.

Before I sold mine, I loved the Boss DD3. It was inexpensive and so much fun to play around with. Too bad I never really had use for it in a band situation!

18. mouthmw

mouthmw

Jul 19, 2009
    Croatia
    I really need a tap tempo with my delay to be really useful as to not break the beat of the song. I'd suggest you really consider a delay with tap tempo as carbon copy does not have it, or at least consider researching your needs for tap tempo. Also, the whole "hold down the button for 3 seconds to enter tap tempo" thing is just annoying and useless IMO. Either get a delay with an external tap tempo switch option, or one that has a usable one. Again, Echo Park is a sweet sweet sweet sounding delay with fantastic analog and tape emulation and a very user friendly tap tempo. But I'm a bit biased because I love the Line 6 delay tones from both DL4 and Echo Park (its little brother).

19. +1 on the TC eclectronics flashback delay.

I've tried others. Stopped with this one. The MXR got too out of control and ran away to easily. It's best to go digital so you don't get feedback runaway. At least, IME.

20. sillyfabe

sillyfabe keeping the low-end silly since '06

Mar 13, 2009
    San Bernardino,CA
    Best delay ever: Roland RE-20 Space Echo! Love those dark nasty repeats!

12 modes, 6 secs delays, really bouncy Z-spring reverb, tap tempo, self-oscillation, tape twist, delay, reverb, delay with reverb AND exp control of just about anything? WIN!