1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Deltalite 2510 small cab for AI Clarus.

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by Mouldy, Feb 10, 2018.

1. Mouldy

Mouldy

Feb 27, 2010
    Western Australia
    I was thinking of building a small light cab to utilize my clarus better. (I don't like the ten2 speakers much) Was considering building some kind of combo whereby the clarus is screwed in like it is in the ten2. The extremely loose plan....

deltalite 2510 with no tweeter. Perhaps adding another cab the same for medium volume gigs.
    For double bass only.
    Must be light and fairly small.
    Must suit the clarus (350w/8 ohm, 650w/4 ohm)
    Perhaps something like the Eminence med cab design on their website. (o.6 cu.ft or perhaps 1 - 1.2 cu.ft)

Am I barking up a wrong tree? All opinions appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2018
  2. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    At my "non commercial" site, I discuss building a 2512 cab. Granted, it's not a 2510, but some of the same insights may be applicable.

The 2510 looks like a competent driver.

It will be hard to get any 10" system to make full use of 350 Watts. There's a maximum practical output that can be reached with any speaker.

3. Mouldy

Mouldy

Feb 27, 2010
    Western Australia
    Thanks fdeck. I've read your info already (twice at least :)) and have got lots of info from it and appreciate your comments. I also have a GKMB150 which is tired and I like the idea of a similar easy to carry rig to be used like the GK. I was only thinking of a 10" to keep the size down. Do you think there would be much of a loss of sound quality (subjective I realize) by using the 2510 instead of the 2512. I expect that the 2512 also couldn't utilize the amp power either of course. Should I consider an alternative driver? Thanks again.

4. Greg Clinkingbeard

Greg Clinkingbeard

Apr 4, 2005
    Kansas City area
    KC Strings
    I built two of fdeck's cabinets using the 2512 for myself and three for other people for use with electric bass. They are really amazing for the amount of volume they put out and their portability.

They do work well with the GK150, but I prefer the MBX extension cabinet, especially when used with the combo.
    Maybe it's the Neo driver or the porting on the 2512 box, but I think the sealed metal box has a tighter lower mid/upper bass region which helps to push the note and give a better time feel.

Those metal boxes don't seem like much on paper, and they shouldn't work well. I find that on the bandstand, they are hard to beat for getting a tight, usable tone.

The 2510? Maybe.

Mouldy likes this.
  5. Greg Clinkingbeard

Greg Clinkingbeard

Apr 4, 2005
    Kansas City area
    KC Strings

Also, I have had a Clarus in rotation for about ten years.

6. Mouldy

Mouldy

Feb 27, 2010
    Western Australia
    How does the clarus sound with the 2512 cab?

7. james condino

james condino Spruce dork Supporting Member Commercial User

Sep 30, 2007
    asheville, nc
    Match your Clarus up with an ACME B1....

8. Greg Clinkingbeard

Greg Clinkingbeard

Apr 4, 2005
    Kansas City area
    KC Strings
    Those are long gone but I seem to remember: open midrange, efficient, lean.

Mouldy likes this.
  9. Greg Clinkingbeard

Greg Clinkingbeard

Apr 4, 2005
    Kansas City area
    KC Strings
    Which is what I did. Generally, nothing sounds better. Deep, forceful low end and a very natural midrange.
    The low end can be too much in some rooms. The GK is the safer bet for me.

james condino likes this.
  10. Mouldy

Mouldy

Feb 27, 2010
    Western Australia
    The GK combo has been a winner for me for years. I'm sure the B1 would sound great but that isn't the direction I want to go in.....although I'd love to try one.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2018